The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I bum The Independent.

Media Weekly on a Monday.
Education and Careers on a Thursday.
And any other day if I have time to read it because there's always something interesting in comment / opinion / extra / interviews.

I couldn't care less about the politics/sport/world because either read that on BBC or ignore it anyway. Plus, always interesting to hear what Johann Hari has to say.

Caught up with Monday's Extra today, about the internet knowing too much, twas excellent.
Reply 41
MJE
All papers are biased one way or another. The Indie/Grauniad are clearly left-leaning, Mail/Telegraph righties.

I read the economist, the only acceptable paper lol. Ooh it's out tomorrow!

I try to be as fair as I can, but I must admit I highly judge people who derive their political opinions and news from the likes of The Sun.

I love the economist! got a subscription to it for last christmas!
yeah, whenever people go on a rant about something they saw in the sun or the mail, i just turn a deaf ear. it's far easier than arguing with them, they never back down! even over the great white shark in cornwall thing...
MJE
Well I find all the business section rather boring lol, but I would say well over half of it is about foreign policy, politics, and that's the part that makes me like it so much.

I only read the Times for its Law section, as no other newspaper has one comparable. (And I want to become a barrister after my Classics degree.) But I tend to read it online so as not to put too much money -- aside from advertising revenue, but I can't get around that -- in the many pockets of Rupert Murdoch.
anyarian
they're all biased in their own way. but if you want to avoid ridiculous bias and racism, and celebrity gossip, steer clear of the mail, the sun and (obv) the star.
i read the guardian and the telegraph, though i'm not fond of either of them: the guardian is pretty anti-isreal, and the telegraph is quite tory-ish. as i'm only 16, i don't want to be indoctrinated to vote for a particular party just yet.
mostly i end up listening to the news, reading the Economist, and then enjoy the satirical side from Private Eye and the News Quiz or the Now Show.

You seem very well informed for a 16-year old; I wish I had been at that age. :smile:
The Guardian or the Times. Online for free! :biggrin:
miss-bexaroo
Oh the Financial Times is fabulous with a lunch time coffee break in Starbucks =) My local has it perched on the rack along with the more wishy washy papers *ahem*.

Bah, anti smoking laws :frown:

Who would go to Starbucks to read a wishy-washy paper?!
Reply 46
I read The Times or The Independent if I can't find the Times. I also read The Economist and The FT.

Latest

Trending

Trending