Why are pharmacists payed so bad???? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Irrelevance
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After reading that, i suggest you don't do Pharmacy and do something more lucrative. As i recall, the whole point of working in the health sector is to help people first, not line your pockets. If you want money, go into invesment banking, requires no soul and you get lots of cash - sorted. Money is nice, but not a priority. Doing a job you enjoy is a priority.
member9876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is investment banking anyway?
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Irrelevance)
After reading that, i suggest you don't do Pharmacy and do something more lucrative. As i recall, the whole point of working in the health sector is to help people first, not line your pockets. If you want money, go into invesment banking, requires no soul and you get lots of cash - sorted. Money is nice, but not a priority. Doing a job you enjoy is a priority.
Yeah but career progression is not as structured as in the healthcare profession and the money is not necessarily that much better.

Also there is no real job security in the IB sector especially at this moment in time with the state of the global economies.

At least in the healthcare professions, you will always be in demand wherever you go in the world, the money is better than most other professions and you pretty much have a job for life once you establish yourself.
Crazster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)
Yeah but career progression is not as structured as in the healthcare profession and the money is not necessarily that much better.

Also there is no real job security in the IB sector especially at this moment in time with the state of the global economies.

At least in the healthcare professions, you will always be in demand wherever you go in the world, the money is better than most other professions and you pretty much have a job for life once you establish yourself.
Yeah umm... Even low band IB pays a lot more then pharmacy. Ops and tech included.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crazster)
Yeah umm... Even low band IB pays a lot more then pharmacy. Ops and tech included.
Yeah but where's the job security?
Crazster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)
Yeah but where's the job security?
in low band, there is.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crazster)
in low band, there is.
How much do you get paid?
Rid1n
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So hang on.....
You want to get paid as much or more than a dentist just for sitting at a till and going to a couple of meetings?
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rid1n)
So hang on.....
You want to get paid as much or more than a dentist just for sitting at a till and going to a couple of meetings?
0_o excuse me, what?
member9876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dentists don;t earn that much, give me a break. Hardly millionaires.
Riim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah tell him Emmz :mad:
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest I think £30K is a good wage to be on after a couple years in work. But then I dont have unrealistic expectations, and coming from a family who live on less than £15K I am very happy with a wage that is pretty much double that. Added to the fact I have no plans to start a family of my own anytime soon, I think £30K is a good wage to end up at
Irrelevance
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rid1n)
So hang on.....
The people who camp the till i do believe are techincians
Rid1n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Riim)
Yeah tell him Emmz :mad:
Come on
No need to be angry
why do you guys deserve to get paid 100K? Not saying you shouldnt .. just asking
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rid1n)
Come on
No need to be angry
why do you guys deserve to get paid 100K? Not saying you shouldnt .. just asking
I think she was more referring to your statement that implies pharmacists just sit at a till all day and go to a few meetings?
Rid1n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fair enough
Maybe at the pharmacy where I worked the pharmacist was probably a stingy one who wouldnt even employ a technician to do that. But you cant blame him for being stingy after considering what he is earning.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually more ATOs (in hospital) and counter assistants (in community) ... but even then they do a lot more than sit at a till all day ...
Irrelevance
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
Actually more ATOs (in hospital) and counter assistants (in community) ... but even then they do a lot more than sit at a till all day ...
Yeah, i was just exagerrating the amount of work they don't do, much like he was. Sorry

I don't even think Pharmacists earned bad money considering, as i recall, the standard pay was around 35.5- 38k straight after pre-reg and 16-20k during pre-reg? Getting paid whilst you're still studying seems like a nice bonus to qualifying for your licence. Then there's job security, you can work abroad if you want

I get the impression the OP took the increasing importance of Pharmacists in the health sector a little too seriously, causing him to question the pay rise
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What annoys me is not so much the pay, but the fact that many people dont realise how difficult the pharmacy degree is. The first year anyway, has about as much detail as first year medicine. We do, believe it or not, have a large workload and have to know a hell of a lot to do the jobs. We're not all medicine rejects!
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
What annoys me is not so much the pay, but the fact that many people dont realise how difficult the pharmacy degree is. The first year anyway, has about as much detail as first year medicine. We do, believe it or not, have a large workload and have to know a hell of a lot to do the jobs. We're not all medicine rejects!
Having quit pharmacy after my first year to go to medical school, I would have to disagree with you on the detail comment. Perhaps it's just me being a part-time dosser or the amount of SDL we have to do on a PBL course but I would definately say that I thought first year of Medicine was more difficult than Pharmacy. This was not just because of the workload/amount of SDL, but also having to deal with clinical skills which unless you practice them are not easy, PPD, portfolios and also the people you have to put up with at medical school aren't necessarily the most pleasant/friendliest bunch.

I agree that not all pharmacists are medical rejects despite the fact a significant proportion I knew back at Pharmacy school would have jumped at the chance to got medical/dental school. And also working at Pharmacy over the summer has shown me that running a community pharmacy is hard work. Sure all I've been doing is dispensing, preparing blister packs, checking the stock etc. but try doing that over and over and over again. It can be hard work and incredibly monotonous and it feels even worse when after spending all that time preparing the blsitr packs, the patients don't take their medication or you get unecessary abuse from customers.

So anyone ****ging off pharmacists, I suggest they get a part-time job or do some work experience in a Pharmacy. It ain't easy. But hey it's only for the summer and it pays.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads