Introductions Watch

Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lavalse)
this thread has given me some ideas of how to handle the situation though. focus on my subject rather than uni!!!
A: "What university did you go to?"

B: "I did English at university"

A: ":confused:"
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why don't you milk the act your going to Oxford?

Its like people who say I'm a member of mensa to make them seem smart or a genius, which is strange as if you were smart you would say something about your achievements. I pretty sure Feynman or Einstein or any other genius would go arounds saying I'm a member of mensa, espically Feynman.

However, I'm pretty sure if your in an argument and say I'm going to Oxford or I am a student at Oxford, would work on most people.

P.S. Wouldn't the assumption attached to going to Oxford get you a good job when you are older.

P.S.S. Why are you not going to Cambridge?
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This morning, with the kids I teach:

Kid A, in tones of awe/horror: "You're at OXFORD?!"

Kid B, perplexed: "What's that then?"

:rofl:
ravenous_soup_dragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
Today, I was treated to another example of the local response to saying you're at Oxford: "Oh, Oxford Brookes?"
Oohh I get that one all the time. My mum was looking at a sofa in a furniture shop and got chatting with the shop assistant. She asked my mum where I was at university, she said Oxford and the woman went, 'what, Brookes?' Apparently she does that to embarrass all the posh women in Sevenoaks who try to make out their offspring go to Oxford, but really it's the one up the road..

My mum kept quiet though, as she's guilty of saying my brother goes to university 'in Newcastle' rather than Northumbria on occasion. :p:

I get really embarrassed by it too, OP. There's always an awkward silence after 'er, Oxford.' Made worse by Law. I always get, 'Oh. YOU do law, seriously?' Which is a bit worrying!
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've noticed that every time I tell someone I'm going to Oxford I follow their response with a slight nod of the head and a "Yeah," grinning cheesily. I don't quite know what it means, but it always makes things less awkward. Sometimes I also say, "I'm really happy"--without smiling.

Also, being in California, I get the occasional "Oh, I've heard of that! It's in London, right?" I pause, trying not to display any physical pain, and muster the response of "Basically."
Franc Vouloir
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sporkonator)
Also, being in California, I get the occasional "Oh, I've heard of that! It's in London, right?" I pause, trying not to display any physical pain, and muster the response of "Basically."
In London today for an interview, I noticed that some of the stalls selling tourist stuff around Parliament Square stock 'Oxford University' t-shirts.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Franc Vouloir)
In London today for an interview, I noticed that some of the stalls selling tourist stuff around Parliament Square stock 'Oxford University' t-shirts.
And the Magdalen Bridge punt shop sells London tat...
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Surely they could at least have the decency to sell geographically accurate tat?
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
And the Magdalen Bridge punt shop sells London tat...
it's not just there, most of the tourist shops and Oxford stash shops sell stupid bear beefeaters and london buses and red telephone boxes and all that junk.
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
it's not just there, most of the tourist shops and Oxford stash shops sell stupid bear beefeaters and london buses and red telephone boxes and all that junk.
Beyond the horrific annoyances of bumbag-wearing, camera-toting foreigners, I'm starting to realise a gratifying element to the excess tourism. The fact that people want to visit your town, the place where you live--and spend a good deal of money doing so--it should instill a certain amount of pride. Obviously not enough to justify its existence, but enough to make you say "Hey, I am studying in a pretty brilliant place."

Any takers?
ixivxivi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Beyond the horrific annoyances of bumbag-wearing, camera-toting foreigners, I'm starting to realise a gratifying element to the excess tourism. The fact that people want to visit your town, the place where you live--and spend a good deal of money doing so--it should instill a certain amount of pride. Obviously not enough to justify its existence, but enough to make you say "Hey, I am studying in a pretty brilliant place."

Any takers?
Basically, no. Don't mind their appearance so much as the way in which they insist on talking. Getting a thousands of little bits of ******edly repetitive snippets of conversation and foreign murmur/giggles/shouts drives you (or at least me) NUTS when I'm trying to work.

I get them at home as well, where the pure mass of them (and the people forcing flyers on passers-by for their benefit) turns a 5 minute walk into a half an hour survival journey...

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that if you're a student you're suddenly considered as much of a sight for the see-ers as the buildings. I once tried to take work outside to a reasonably quiet bit of grass and all the tourists seemed to think it was quite okay to go on and on about how their children should be good and clever like me and start talking to me, despite the fact I was quite obviously busy. Same with tourists trying to take pictures of the insides of peoples' rooms through the windows... I had a good yell at some I found doing that at the end of last term.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Any takers?
Unfortunately not. There's nothing more irritating than people stopping you, trying to take your picture (because you're dressed in sub fusc) when you're trying to rush to/flee an exam and you're shaking with nerves/trying not to cry
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does it really matter? Pretending like it isn't a big deal is surely way more irritating to others who ask you about it out of curiosity than telling them about going to Oxford. They probably think you're a total knob for trying to play it down.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it really bothers me that there are so many preconceived ideas of cambridge, and that people make assumptions about you based on them.
Yeah some people really have it hard :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vapid slut magician)
Does it really matter? Pretending like it isn't a big deal is surely way more irritating to others who ask you about it out of curiosity than telling them about going to Oxford. They probably think you're a total knob for trying to play it down.
Are you talking to me or everyone in general? It's much better (or at least, in my case it's much better) to play it down. People would think I'm a complete tosser (thus a total knob) if I didn't play it down
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ixivxivi)
Basically, no. Don't mind their appearance so much as the way in which they insist on talking. Getting a thousands of little bits of ******edly repetitive snippets of conversation and foreign murmur/giggles/shouts drives you (or at least me) NUTS when I'm trying to work.

I get them at home as well, where the pure mass of them (and the people forcing flyers on passers-by for their benefit) turns a 5 minute walk into a half an hour survival journey...

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that if you're a student you're suddenly considered as much of a sight for the see-ers as the buildings. I once tried to take work outside to a reasonably quiet bit of grass and all the tourists seemed to think it was quite okay to go on and on about how their children should be good and clever like me and start talking to me, despite the fact I was quite obviously busy. Same with tourists trying to take pictures of the insides of peoples' rooms through the windows... I had a good yell at some I found doing that at the end of last term.
Which college are you at? o_O
lavalse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah some people really have it hard :rolleyes:
look im sorry for perhaps sounding shallow or whatever but this thread was made for people to talk about this feeling of awkwardness when you tell other people you're going to ox/cam

i am of course delighted to be going, it just saddens me that people then make wrong assumptions about me...
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
look im sorry for perhaps sounding shallow or whatever but this thread was made for people to talk about this feeling of awkwardness when you tell other people you're going to ox/cam

i am of course delighted to be going, it just saddens me that people then make wrong assumptions about me...
Yeah, and I'm telling you to get over yourself. What wrong assumptions? And also, who ****ing cares?
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeah, and I'm telling you to get over yourself. What wrong assumptions? And also, who ****ing cares?
I care for one, which is why I made the thread. Other people that posted on the thread for another, which is why they posted.

If your going to be an ******** then please don't bother posting in future, but if you want to start posting in a more useful manner, then I would be happy to hear your opinions.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
I care for one, which is why I made the thread. Other people that posted on the thread for another, which is why they posted.

If your going to be an ******** then please don't bother posting in future, but if you want to start posting in a more useful manner, then I would be happy to hear your opinions.
Oooo I got told.

I am trying to help you. This is something you did need to get over, you can't spend 3 or 4 years being embarrassed of where you go to university. People care less than you think, they don't automatically think you're a tosser for going to oxbridge. They will, however, think you're a tosser if you try to hide it because then it looks like you're trying to spare their feelings or something ridiculous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads