Sex education at age four? Watch

Altruism And Me
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
See the thing that annoys me about this is the people are collapsing into moral panic. At age 4, they're obviously only going to be learning stuff like 'boys have a penis and girls have a vagina'. The way the Daily Mail portrays it, you'd think they'd be learning the ins and outs of anal sex. It's going to be tailored to their age, and as long as it stays that way I have no objection to it. Sex education doesn't lead to a rise in underage pregnancies, in my opinion. Anecdotal evidence ahoy - I went to Catholic school where the only sex education we received was 'Don't you dare do it before you're married' and still about 10 girls in my year group ended up with a baby.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CheesyBeans)
Surely that is all that would be taught at such a young age? Kids at this age have some sort of fascination with their genitals so surely it wouldn't do any harm to teach them about them? I remember being in infant school and a girl and boy in my class were showing each other their 'bits' in assembly.
Lol, that post has made Sigmund Freud smile in his grave and say "I told you so!"

In my first school (age 4 to 6) the younger ones did the same thing, but in the playground, just boys though, and I think generally most people knew about "willies" and "bottoms". But we were clueless about sex. I think teaching people about genitals and maybe pregnancy is fine, but no more, really.
CheesyBeans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Lol, that post has made Sigmund Freud smile in his grave and say "I told you so!"

In my first school (age 4 to 6) the younger ones did the same thing, but in the playground, just boys though, and I think generally most people knew about "willies" and "bottoms". But we were clueless about sex. I think teaching people about genitals and maybe pregnancy is fine, but no more, really.
Lol yeah, I was thinking of old Siggy when I typed it.
shivangee
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
way too early you will scare children
gravityisamyth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Altruism And Me)
See the thing that annoys me about this is the people are collapsing into moral panic. At age 4, they're obviously only going to be learning stuff like 'boys have a penis and girls have a vagina'. The way the Daily Mail portrays it, you'd think they'd be learning the ins and outs of anal sex.
Lol

(Original post by Altruism And Me)
It's going to be tailored to their age, and as long as it stays that way I have no objection to it. Sex education doesn't lead to a rise in underage pregnancies, in my opinion. Anecdotal evidence ahoy - I went to Catholic school where the only sex education we received was 'Don't you dare do it before you're married' and still about 10 girls in my year group ended up with a baby.
Same - sex ed at my school was pathetic. I agree with them being taught it earlier but they should probably give teachers some advice on how to teach it to the class...
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hell no-not at school quite this early anyway. If kids are curious, by all rights the parents should feels they can explain, but I think that 4 yrs old if far too young-and anyway, would they fully comprehend/retain this information? I think that this should be 'taught' in schools around the age of ten-upper primary.
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its a good idea. It probably wouldn't be proper Sex Education at age 4, maybe just talking about our bodies, the differences between children and adults, about babies and that you grow up and things change (probably not really going into too much detail and maybe 1 lesson a week for half a term or so)

Wouldn't be actually going through sex and contraception.

4/5/6 Year olds know a lot more than they are given credit for. Some of them already have ideas about what goes on and would probably find talking about willies and maryies very funny!

At least introducing it earlier would encourage them to be more open and less embarrassed about things later on.
Pinball_heart
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Isn't this going to cause major problems for like Catholic schools and stuff??
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Start teaching them that at 6, and **** knows what they#''ll get up to at lunch in the toilets
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pinball_heart)
Isn't this going to cause major problems for like Catholic schools and stuff??
We aren't really so conservative you know!

I say we even though I left school years ago and am a lapsed Catholic. Hmmmm.

Anyway, you probably get better sex education and general guidance at faith schools, especially Catholic schools than elsewhere.
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't read most of this thread sorry, but I fully intend to let my kids know the full truth and talk to them like in the Netherlands. I can't talk to my parents about anything, and when I asked my mum about the pill, she said no immediatly - and didn't discuss any alternatives or anything about safe sex etc. I had been with my boyfriend for a year at this point, and I found it incredibly unfair.

I want my kids to be able to talk to me about anything.... but I don't think they should know about sex before they know the truth about santa!
mfm89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its a good idea. Ideally parents would have sorted it all out as early as possible. But a slow and steady exposure would be helpful i think.

Free condoms etc too.
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mfm89)
I think its a good idea. Ideally parents would have sorted it all out as early as possible. But a slow and steady exposure would be helpful i think.

Free condoms etc too.
Not for the 4 year olds eh hehe!
Wiggler
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah, so like the south park episode where they learn about this in kindergarten?
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
Nah, they got to be at least 6
mfm89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
Use them for balloons, then they will forever associate it with fun. Also make the pill look like pez. Problem solved
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't object to it but I don't think it'll make a difference. Teenagers who end up pregnant often blame it on a lack of sex education, when really it's just their lack of common sense and you can't really do anything about that. :rolleyes: It may be worth a try though.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I'd have liked my innocent, imaginative view of the world at four years-old to have been tainted with the reality of sex, relationships and the anatomy.
Pinball_heart
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
We aren't really so conservative you know!

I say we even though I left school years ago and am a lapsed Catholic. Hmmmm.

Anyway, you probably get better sex education and general guidance at faith schools, especially Catholic schools than elsewhere.

I didn't say 'you' were.
I went to catholic school for 12 years, and we never properly got taught about sex, only in the most scientific way possible. Plus they refuse to teach us about contraception.
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
I don't think I'd have liked my innocent, imaginative view of the world at four years-old to have been tainted with the reality of sex, relationships and the anatomy.
You wouldn't go too in-deep with the whole topic, it would be barely skimming the surface at such a young age.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.89%
No - but I will (6)
3.73%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.17%

Watched Threads