I feel like **** if I don't go to the gym every other day! Watch

Neo-Classicist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Herr Stamper)
Its debatable really, ive gained size from high rep squatting (35-50rep) aswell as sticking to the 5 rep range. But like you said you run the risk of injury and you'd be an idiot to try 20rep squats without a spotter.
I think it would be wrong to totally dismiss 20rep squats as you have done.
Well, I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree; unless you can cite any scientific evidence to prove your point, I don't think you'll be able to persuade me that dropping weight and adding a couple more reps to the same movement is enough to shock the body into growth; or rather, significant growth.

35-50reps?! Sounds more like a cardio workout IME. I've had to use similar parameters recently and that was more for conditioning purposes that anything. Can't say I've felt a whole lot more growth because of it.
Neo-Classicist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)
I keep my form perfect, and sometimes I'll just do a 3/4 squat on the 16th rep and stand for a bit to catch my breath for a good 30 seconds before finishing off.

My starter gains from it were been phenomenal doing it every other day and adding 2.5kg each time
A beginner will always notice big changes in body composition, regardless of program type- well, within reason. The untrained body will overcompensate to be better adapted to the added stimulus.

I still think you'd be better off upping the weights and dropping the rep range down to 8-15. There the time under tension would still be between 40-60sec: perfect for hypertrophy.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, You're being a perfectionist about the whole thing. Take it as a hobby immediately or you'll end up not going to the gym at all.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you'd be an idiot to try 20rep squats without a spotter.
:/

This doesn't apply to those of us who aren't accountable if we damage the floor dumping weights, right?
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
Well, You're being a perfectionist about the whole thing. Take it as a hobby immediately or you'll end up not going to the gym at all.
That's not the Wrath I remember
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
:/

This doesn't apply to those of us who aren't accountable if we damage the floor dumping weights, right?
Would that not mean Mr Nun had failed his 20 reps? You don't do failure do you?

Looks like ill be coming up Bournemouth on the Saturday as im working Sunday afternoon which can't get out of unfortunately. I take it you'll be down on the Saturday?
greenwaytph
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
I can't go to the gym today as I am working, so will go tomorrow meaning I would have had a 2 day break and it makes me feel like ****! Anyone else feel the same if they miss a gym session by a day or two?

I feel like **** if I go the gym.
hec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i feel weird if i dont go, i go every tuesday and thursday and im supposed to go every sunday too but sometimes i miss it due to hangover/sun being too hot etc, and my body misses the endorphines
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My philosophy is not to train to failure, but not to be afraid of it. I don't usually fail, but it's happened a few times one the ol' bench and once when I was squatting. I was only using 100 kg for 5 at a time when my PB was about 110 x 5, but somehow I got stuck in the hole and had to dump it with a loud bang.

Looks like ill be coming up Bournemouth on the Saturday as im working Sunday afternoon which can't get out of unfortunately. I take it you'll be down on the Saturday?
I'll probably be doing the same. See you there
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Good **** mate.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meathead, since I'm lazy and whatnot, what time does the lifting start on Saturday?
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
make sure you go then
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
That's not the Wrath I remember
Haha. Well, from personal experience, thinking about lifting every waking moment will get you sick of it pretty fast.

I've seen so many newbies hit the gym and look in the mirror straight after a workout expecting to see changes and there are none. They go on for a few weeks with a poor diet and regime and end up thinking (rightfully so.) why they bother with it anyways and quit.

It's better to go at it thinking of it as a hobby and the 'gains' as it were as a side effect.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by meathead1987)
Good **** mate.
Whens the lifting commence?
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, i didn't feel like ****, just a little iritated, i used to love the feeling of waking up the next day with aches all over lol, because you'd know you've done a good job.

And if i didn't go one day, i'd double the reps the next.
I hadn't been to the gym for a month because of exams and revision so i went today and workedd for 3 hours, it feels good
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bateman)

And if i didn't go one day, i'd double the reps the next.

how does that help?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
how does that help?
It doesn't, but let him do what makes him feel good.

A missed workout is a missed workout. You can't 'make it up' unless you utilise an off day which will be counter productive.
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
It doesn't, but let him do what makes him feel good.

A missed workout is a missed workout. You can't 'make it up' unless you utilise an off day which will be counter productive.
Unless you're a body builder pumped on steroids you can make up for it by working harder.

(Original post by Bebbs)
how does that help?

It made me feel better and i'd tone more
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP; i work from 5:00 till 15:30 in a very tough manual job yet i still dont miss a session due to tiredness. what i do is back and legs on the weekend when i have the energy, and chest and shoulders spaced out during the week on tuesday and thursday. it works. i also have a coffee 30 mins preworkout.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bateman)
Unless you're a body builder pumped on steroids you can make up for it by working harder.

instead of running for 10 mins i'd run for 20, instead of doing 3 reps of 15, i'd do 6 reps of 15.
Doing extra reps isn't better. If it were, everyone would be doing 100 rep sets of curls.

A workout is a planned day on which you're supposed to work out. You don't work out as planned, throwing your whole schedule out of whack, since even if you use an off day or whatever for your training, your recovery will be the cost you pay. (It'll be very poor.)

This is for weight training by the way, your system works for cardio.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise