Mature student at 22? Watch

confused25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roodie)
My god you are just a youngster!! I was born early 70s!!

I actually find the 18/19 year olds on my course more friendly than a group of girls who are in their mid-twenties.

Hey Hey Roodie,

Come on not all women in their mid twenties are that bad lol
Roodie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend!! I didn't mean the twenty year olds are unfriendly, I was just surprised at how pleasant the 18 year olds are. Everyone on our course is very nice, and the ages range from 18 to 44.
andy185
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
22?!

I'll be going into grad law at strath or glasgow and I'll be 23 for about a month before I turn 24. I don't think it matters much really! My friend's flatmate is doing undergrad and you'll find that they are generally as mature/immature as everyone else. I was at an open evening tonight and the people seemed fairly young though... :woo:
confused25
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roodie)
No I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend!! I didn't mean the twenty year olds are unfriendly, I was just surprised at how pleasant the 18 year olds are. Everyone on our course is very nice, and the ages range from 18 to 44.

Lol im kidding Roodie not offended at all just winding u up.

End of the day its the people isnt it, as cheesy as that sounds! I was at an open day last evening and people were really nice, most just out of uni and doing a 2nd degree although there were a couple like myself who have worked for a few years and are then going back to uni. Im looking forward to it should be fun.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was 20 when I started uni and now am doing a postgraduate degree at the age of 25

Trust me, if you work hard, you catch up for lost time :rolleyes:

xo
shinystar
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kirstin85)
Did anyone else get a nasty shock when they discovered that they are considered a mature student at the grand old age of 22? I am going to be studying Law in Glasgow come September and am really looking forward to it but am just a bit worried that everyone is going to be 18 and that my being older will be a big deal, especially in a competitive environment. :confused:
I was thinking about this too, I'll be 22 when I start a second degree in England but its for a Masters now so most people will be around my age or older. I guess you're bound to meet people near your age and in the uni, so hopefully it'll be alright. lol when I heard we're classified as a 'mature' student, I was thinking we're still really young.
mforb
Report 9 years ago
I felt slighty awkward visiting open days where there were students that looked like my 10 year old sister .

Im also worried im going to look like the oldie hanging round with the kids!
audiograffiti
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll be 22 when starting my second degree this September. My aim is to only provide my age upon request....hopefully will get me by haha. I know its not a massive age gap but I'm still really nervous about being in a class with people just a few years younger :s
Alex81
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OK, I don't mean to offend any of you BUT....
You really have to get over the "age" issue. Going to uni for a first or second (!) degree at the age of 22-24 is NOT old!!!! I understand that you might think 3-5 years is an enormous age difference but it truly isn't. I am going to uni this September and I will be 28. I would give my right arm for being 4 years younger, but still, I plan on making friends, having a laugh and partying! Yes, I admit that it is slightly daunting to be 10 years older than most of my classmates (especially as the uni told me that they rarely get students on my course over the age of 20), but I just have to get on with it. So do you young ones... Most of the 18-19 year olds won't even notice that you're 20, 21 or 22 unless you make an issue of it! I on the other hand will have slightly more trouble covering my wrinkles...! :p:
GazzyG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm 24 atm, will be 25 when I start Uni in Oct. Not too worried because my housemate (also 25) is going to be doing the same course as me, haha!
templar64
Report 9 years ago
Wow! I'm hopefully starting Adult Nursing in Sept...at the ripe old age of 45!
must admit bit scary, but hey! regardless, I want to be a nurse.
:nopity:
ZakBrannigan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by templar64)
Wow! I'm hopefully starting Adult Nursing in Sept...at the ripe old age of 45!
must admit bit scary, but hey! regardless, I want to be a nurse.
:nopity:
snap templar64 except i am 38 and be living in halls if i pass my remaining OH check lol:eek3:
templar64
Report 9 years ago
Well done, and good luck with your studies. Which uni are you going to?
I'm just thinking about accommodation.
siduk09
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to uni the first time around at the age of 21 and no one noticed (and I really didn't care) as many of the students had taken time out on gap years. Unfortunately, I ran out of money before I could finish and had to start working.

I'm now starting my second lot of A Levels (at 24!), after paying off the student loan, and will be around 27/28 by the time I start my degree course and I-don't-know-how-old when I do the masters and doctorate! I would much rather have worked all of this out the first time around, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

21/22 is NOT old and no one will notice, trust me! Go and enjoy yourselves and be happy in the knowledge that you will already have some work experience on your CV when it comes to hunting for grad jobs!
Decs.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I will turn 22 during the first year. I am looking forward to showing the 18 years olds how your really drink. I have a 3 year head start and a great money making plan under my belt!

I am also living in halls, get in the mix i say. I hope they view me as the wise old sage of the flat hehe.
PrinceValiant
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kirstin85)
Did anyone else get a nasty shock when they discovered that they are considered a mature student at the grand old age of 22? I am going to be studying Law in Glasgow come September and am really looking forward to it but am just a bit worried that everyone is going to be 18 and that my being older will be a big deal, especially in a competitive environment. :confused:
Yeah I feel this way to. I'm 21 and going to uni in sept, I thought mature students were 25+ but not the case, so I'm a bit worried. I thought 21 would've been the average age but so many of the people on here are 17/18. The good thing is being classed a 'mature' student can get you in with lesser grades than those who are younger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads