Report 10 years ago
Oh dear, some people are too dramatic.
It's a stupid idea.
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They use the sudden blast of siren because it attracts the attention of absent minded drivers a lot better than a gentle increase in volume. To stop doing that because you find the noise irritating would be stupid.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cascadingstylez)
Today I was at the bus stop and this Ambulance pulls by real slow then out of nowhere this real loud siren. I wouldn't rant as much but the poor lady next to me was hysterical.

Her daughter had to calm her down because she was saying she was having chest pains and stuff because the Ambulance scared the living daylights out of her. Not sure what happened to her, she seemed better by the time I got on the bus.

But Ambulances are starting to piss me off because they just seem to scare the life out of people when they put their sirens on. Its happened to me loads of times. What about people with weak hearts? They must think "Oh lets not consider that minority".

I think the sirens should start of low and then go higher in volume over a few seconds.

Yes they save lives and yes they serve a good purpose, i don't doubt that.
If it's happened to you a few times, then you must be very easliy scared. I've never had it happen, seen it happen, or until now heard about it happen.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think people would be less annoyed by paramedics if they went around on tandems. Do you think that would be a good idea?
Sine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are loud for a reason and they should be loud all the time so cars can get out of the way...
Mattgeezer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about people that are hard of hearing? With Headphones in? Loud music in the car?
They need to be loud for a reason.
alenax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mattgeezer)
What about people that are hard of hearing? With Headphones in? Loud music in the car?
They need to be loud for a reason.
Read the original post carefully. He didn't say he wants them to be quieter, he said with a 2-3 second gradual increase to full volume.

Having said that, I disagree. Like several people mentioned in this thread, how would you feel if a relative of yours had died just because an ambulance was late getting to hospital because absent-minded drivers didn't notice it and the 3-second delays added up to over a minute? I'm sure that would be a lot more annoying than old ladies having a bit of a fright.

I would have just been annoyed at the old lady making a fuss about it to be honest.
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah it is quite scary when you are in the car and then they put their siren on, but if they want people to move, then they have to do it.

talking of sirens, there was a young hoodlum tearing the bus stop apart the other night. he was there a good 20 minutes. all of a sudden, a police siren went off. it only did it once, which is really odd. but you should have seen the speed at which this hoodlum ran away. haha. it made me laugh. a few minutes later the police car came past. we phoned the police after that, because the hoodlum came back. apparently it was just coincidence that the police car came past :p: haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads