Car insurance, £1700, is it worth it? Watch

SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if i was on my parents policy my insurance on my car would go UP. lol. they speeeeed alot, haha.

i havnt passed yet, but pay 2k to insure my car. granted its an 05 1.6l 5door focus, but meh :P
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Something else to think about - If you get your own insurance (this has to be fully comp), some companies still extend this insurance to any car you drive - I know Churchill still does this, as I've recently renewed with them.

So, I'm insured for my car, but also insured to drive my parents car even through I'm not listed on their insurance for that car. There are limits on this - How often you can use the car (ie, it can't be used as your main car) and the suchlike, but it can save you money in the long run if you're insured on your parents car as well as having this kind of policy.

I know this is slowly being phased out, but as I've said, Churchill at least are still doing it.
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
So, I'm insured for my car, but also insured to drive my parents car even through I'm not listed on their insurance for that car. There are limits on this - How often you can use the car (ie, it can't be used as your main car) and the suchlike, but it can save you money in the long run if you're insured on your parents car as well as having this kind of policy.

I know this is slowly being phased out, but as I've said, Churchill at least are still doing it.
Explain this a bit further.

I take it your parents are with Churchill as well?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DirtyHarry)
Explain this a bit further.

I take it your parents are with Churchill as well?
No, they're not. They're with... Zurich, I think? Lemme dig out the documents, see if I can find it's technical wording.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Something else to think about - If you get your own insurance (this has to be fully comp), some companies still extend this insurance to any car you drive - I know Churchill still does this, as I've recently renewed with them.

...but you will pay more for such a 'benefit', especially if you are a new driver because they have to add in the risk that you may have access to a 3litre, V6 monster, as opposed to your 1 litre Popemobile.

Plus normally the extent of the insurance support isn't as great on cars that you don't own (ie; you may be full comp on your own car, but only 3rd party on your friends, which is pretty crap).
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
heard of this before, but I thought you had to be over 21 or something??
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Found it;

Taken from Churchill's Motor Insurance Policy Booklet (an online version is here)

1b Driving other cars
If your Certificate of Motor Insurance says so, this policy provides the same cover as above in 1a when you are driving any other car as long as you do not own it or have not hired or leased it or had it hired or leased for you.
(1a is the usual "What we cover" mumbo jumbo. :P) It isn't fully comp when you're driving other cars, but it does insure you so.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
heard of this before, but I thought you had to be over 21 or something??
My brother is 19 and has the same cover as me.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
DOC cover (aka drive other cars) allows you to drive other INSURED cars (not insured by you) but only pays out third party. It is quite rare now to see it on a policy for someone under 25, or on any policy unless specifically asked for.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Steeps)
DOC cover (aka drive other cars) allows you to drive other INSURED cars (not insured by you) but only pays out third party. It is quite rare now to see it on a policy for someone under 25, or on any policy unless specifically asked for.
Yeah, and it goes on to say that in the policy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.48%
No - but I will (62)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise