Help! I got caught cheating in one of my coursework modules. Watch

evil groove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sheri234)
what constitutes as plagerism anyway? obviously copying word to word but what else?
Plagiarism is when you copy someone else's work and don't reference it at all or even when you don't reference it correctly, effectively passing the work off as one's own.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Surely there is something on the internet that you can put in your letter.

(sorry)
Tallon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just say how stupid and sorry you are then they might let you off. No point justifying it.

lmao or you could go and copy and paste an apology off the internet, that might work :d!
UltimateJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would literally say something along the lines of "I'm aware of what I have done is wrong, and as a result, I can completely understand If I am disqualified for this module..."

Basically, admit you are wrong, and openly say how you are happy to get 0 for that module (if you are). If you come across like that then WJEC may be less inclined to decline you from the whole qualification.

Thats my view anyway.
xpillowangelx86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
could u resit that module and how much is the module worth in terms of percentages.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've never cheated, and I feel for you that you had to actually cheat but at least you're admitting a mistake.
Crazster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
I've never cheated, and I feel for you that you had to actually cheat but at least you're admitting a mistake.
not admitted, caught.
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly, although I think we can all agree that plagiarising is a stupid thing to do, the people who are hanging around this thread to abuse the op really need to grow up. The OP has admitted their mistake, and does not need further judgement from you.

Regarding your predicament, the most important thing is to admit that it was the wrong thing to do. Don't try to justify it, or give reasons for it, simply say that you made a major mistake - and you understand that. Explain why it was a mistake, specifically. Emphasise that you will never be so stupid in the future, and you have learnt from your error, which was of course, a one-off.

And then maybe a little mention of how important A levels are to you, and how serious they are for you. Mention how studious you've been for your other subjects, and your other Media modules - and that you are relying on your Media A level to get you a place at university. Choose your language carefully. Don't sound cocky, arrogant, desperate, or begging...

Good luck, and please, don't ever be so stupid again.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
Firstly, although I think we can all agree that plagiarising is a stupid thing to do, the people who are hanging around this thread to abuse the op really need to grow up. The OP has admitted their mistake, and does not need further judgement from you.
It's hardly abuse. He posted on a public forum about it, specifically a public forum about qualifications. People are giving their opinion on it, which is exactly what a forum is for.

You cannot expect people to be supportive and not critical. Even in your own reply you "abused" the OP.
ggonex26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just out of interest, have you done this before? It seems unlikely that this was your first offence, did you start off with less important work? Are you actually ashamed of yourself, it seems like you're more concerned that you were caught than anything else.

I actually feel you can get over it and if you truly did the rest of the work then i hope they only award you zero marks for that one piece, but i do think you were lazy in the extreme.
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
It's hardly abuse. He posted on a public forum about it, specifically a public forum about qualifications. People are giving their opinion on it, which is exactly what a forum is for.

You cannot expect people to be supportive and not critical. Even in your own reply you "abused" the OP.
If people don't want to support the OP, that's understandable - then why post? It adds absolutely nothing, and some have hung around to post several times. And saying 'I hope you get a U' could definitely be considered abuse.

And I think you're being a little bit ridiculous saying I "abused" the OP. You know very well my comment was different from other comments here.
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it was just a small section of your coursework which was plagiarised, then there is still the possibility of the examboard discounting only that part of your work. In your statement, you should admit you know what you have done is wrong. Don't justify it as others have said; exam boards will be used to seeing people saying "I did it because my dog had recently died and my teacher wasn't lenient enough to give me a 10 day extension". Express your apologies.

For all of the above who keep going on at the OP, stop. The OP has admitted his fault and has asked for no sympathy at all. You've basically spammed this thread up with a load of dribble which has not answered his question.

OP: good luck!
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If people don't want to support the OP, that's understandable - then why post? It adds absolutely nothing, and some have hung around to post several times. And saying 'I hope you get a U' could definitely be considered abuse.

And I think you're being a little bit ridiculous saying I "abused" the OP. You know very well my comment was different from other comments here.
Yes.

You saying "grow up" and "that was stupid" is different to other people saying "grow up" and "that was stupid".
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Yes.

You saying "grow up" and "that was stupid" is different to other people saying "grow up" and "that was stupid".
"Grow up" was a warranted instruction directed at the aggressors themselves (so, not the op ), "that was stupid" was a polite way of expressing my disdain at the op's actions, which was qualified with a smiley face, to be more friendly, because I realise that more abuse is not what the OP needs at this time.

Any more problems? Or are you quite content?
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Grow up" was a warranted instruction directed at the aggressors themselves (so, not the op ), "that was stupid" was a polite way of expressing my disdain at the op's actions, which was qualified with a smiley face, to be more friendly, because I realise that more abuse is not what the OP needs at this time.

Any more problems? Or are you quite content?
A person posting on an internet forum about cheating with plenty of other people that did that coursework without cheating around. Yes, I don't see a problem at all there and he should be totally outraged that people call him out.

I, for one, would be furious if people called me out for cheating and then coming onto an internet forum asking people to write my apology letter for me. Absolutely furious.
suek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, the exam board could quite easily just disqualify you straight off. However, they want something from you. Ask yourself what that is.

Excuses? Lies? Lies made out to be an excuse? U.

They want you to be honest - they're giving you a chance to prove that you can be. They want you to realise you have made a mistake, and own up to it, and learn from it. Any attempt to pass off responsibility for your actions will surely get a U.

So that's all you can do - be honest, beg and plead etc, and hope for the best.
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
A person posting on an internet forum about cheating with plenty of other people that did that coursework without cheating around. Yes, I don't see a problem at all there and he should be totally outraged that people call him out.

I, for one, would be furious if people called me out for cheating and then coming onto an internet forum asking people to write my apology letter for me. Absolutely furious.
I understand the outrage. But it hardly needs pointing out again and again, so the thread goes round in circles. The OP knows he made a mistake, and to be fair - it was one fifth of a piece that was 10% of his coursework. So it was literally 2%. It was wrong, but after he's admitted his mistake, it's not like he needs people to hang around and make snide comments. It's unnecessary, and frankly, sad.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I honestly do feel for the guy though. You have my prayers, pal!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (164)
39.05%
No - but I will (22)
5.24%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.38%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (203)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed