Feeling low because you can't find a job? Watch

Smoobla
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i want to be a lollipop man, anything that gets paid im that desperate
In our area, the traffic warden uniform is not so hawt. And I can't help feeling I'll be subjected to verbal abuse all day long. I really, really want to have this job though, such is my desperation!
pamelaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Smoobla)
In our area, the traffic warden uniform is not so hawt. And I can't help feeling I'll be subjected to verbal abuse all day long. I really, really want to have this job though, such is my desperation!
Lol I thought most were 50+ :p:
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pamelaa)
Lol I thought most were 50+ :p:
I actually think a leggy 19 year old is what the traffic wardening profession requires. I could contribute a lot.
pamelaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I actually think a leggy 19 year old is what the traffic wardening profession requires. I could contribute a lot.
haha oh dear. Good luck there
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the good kind of hawt?

worth it!
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eurgh I am sick of trying to get a job! I'm trying to get a temporary office job as I'm probably going to need office experience when I apply for a graduate job after uni. I've only registered through one agency and they don't have anything yet. No other agencies want me since they have enough students registered already. It's just annoying because obviously I'd like to go home after uni finishes to visit my family for a while, but that basically makes me unemployable because agencies seem to want people able to work for 3+ months, not just 2 months. Some agencies don't want me because I don't have office experience. But I'm trying to get experience!! The longer I go without a job the less amount of time I can work for and the less they'll want me Grrrr it's making me really annoyed and all I want is some office experience.
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
I felt like this last year and then just as I was starting Uni, i got offered a job! :rolleyes: (bit too late).

Do keep naggin the agencies and don't just apply for the odd jobs here and there, apply for lots and lots, something is bound to come of at least one.

As the saying goes ''if at first you don't succeed, try and try again'' . . . .

Good Luck
Princesschickenbelly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by orangeboy)
That is me right now. I've been looking for a summer job now for two weeks and I am so dam fed up.

I've applied to two other jobs at an agency but they have :rolleyes: 't got in touch, this happens quite often. Does anyone else find that when you apply to jobs many just don't bother getting back in touch?
I had applied to every shop, hotel and restaurant in the area. Been looking for a job for 2 MONTHS, had 1 interview and no responses from any of the other places I'd applied to and I was on the verge of having to leave my house cause I couldn't pay the rent.

They expect you to get a job to support yourself over the summer and yet no one is willing to hire you :confused:
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
the good kind of hawt?

worth it!
It's NOT hawt! The traffic wardens around here look like wannabe Police Officers with red stripes on.
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by artorscience?)
Look them up online and it'll give details, usually you ring them up and make an appointment and then go in and fill out forms. Real agencies for office work and all the "normal" stuff don't take a fee off you, they get their money from the companies that they give temps to. I would say that by now your not so likely to be taken on for the summer (others will tell you differently) but when I was applying to agencies a month and a bit ago I was told by most that there was no point in me signing up because they were already flooded with students looking for summer work (bs and their way of fobbing people off but it's difficult to try and push them harder when you can't get in the door(physically and metaphorically)). From the agency that did sign me on I've got nothing and can't be bothered pursuing any more, it's not something that works for me.

Job hunting sucks
Hehe I've had exactly the same problems, and I'm in Edinburgh too! I must have rung over 10 temp agencies and they all told me the same thing. Either that they were looking for people who could work the whole summer (I can only work mid July til mid September) or that they have loadsa students registered already so there's no need for any more. Out of interest, which agency are you registered with? I'm registered with Jean Mcghee and I've tried ringing them twice reminding them I can start work on Thursday but they don't have anything going
Do you have any idea what you're going to do? I'm returning to Edinburgh on Tuesday and I don't fancy hanging around doing nothing all day whilst my boyfriend is working full time. Not sure I'm keen on doing fringe festival work either Argh!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
Eurgh I am sick of trying to get a job! I'm trying to get a temporary office job as I'm probably going to need office experience when I apply for a graduate job after uni. I've only registered through one agency and they don't have anything yet. No other agencies want me since they have enough students registered already. It's just annoying because obviously I'd like to go home after uni finishes to visit my family for a while, but that basically makes me unemployable because agencies seem to want people able to work for 3+ months, not just 2 months. Some agencies don't want me because I don't have office experience. But I'm trying to get experience!! The longer I go without a job the less amount of time I can work for and the less they'll want me Grrrr it's making me really annoyed and all I want is some office experience.
that couldnt annoy me more its hardly as if were going to be anything hard most could be learnt in a day and if every job needed experience there would be no employed people.

It's NOT hawt! The traffic wardens around here look like wannabe Police Officers with red stripes on.
i would advise against that job on the grounds that the uniform is terrible.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i would advise against that job on the grounds that the uniform is terrible.
But my parents will whip me with chains if I don't find employment.

I do have another potential job lined up, but not until next month. And I'd be paid 80p an hour more as a traffic warden.
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
that couldnt annoy me more its hardly as if were going to be anything hard most could be learnt in a day and if every job needed experience there would be no employed people.
I know, it makes me angry! I'm pretty sure I could pick up lots of office jobs really quickly but because I don't have experience they don't want me, and they pick potential idiots who have worked doing secretary/data entry stuff before. I could do it so much better than them!!!! Probably...
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
I know, it makes me angry! I'm pretty sure I could pick up lots of office jobs really quickly but because I don't have experience they don't want me, and they pick potential idiots who have worked doing secretary/data entry stuff before. I could do it so much better than them!!!! Probably...
I don't think employers are particularly fond of our studenty arrogance though... I honestly think being a student can result in being turned down for a job, even if you're more than capable!
adam_1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think employers are particularly fond of our studenty arrogance though... I honestly think being a student can result in being turned down for a job, even if you're more than capable!
Agreed. Employers would rather have people with no hopes for the future, so all their staff don't flee elsewhere.
Fi0na.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is a stupid example to compare with, but I handed in a Tesco application form with just my personal details and any experience, I got a reply saying my application had been unsuccessful. So I didn't even get to have an interview. I think it's probably because I've had no work experience, but where would I get any if all these places keep rejecting me?!
The feeling of rejection =[
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know how it feels Fiona, I have no work experience at all but most of the places that rejected me because other applicants were more experienced. One shop I was going to apply to gave me forms that asked for my name, then the rest of the entire 2 pages was previous experience. .Bloody catch-22.

I gave my application into some lower shops like Somerfields and a shop in high street, they were quite eager to get some workers, they listed 4 vacancies. I will be so majorly annoyed if they reject me as well. :rolleyes: I must have given in 15 CVs into shops that did have vacancies, most of them part time but Im desperate for anything at all.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by adam_1234)
Agreed. Employers would rather have people with no hopes for the future, so all their staff don't flee elsewhere.
i know theres endless people who work at fast food restaraunts that i went to school with and i look at them and i think....
im smarter, stronger, more hardworking than them why have they got a job and i havent?

then i think when im a big shot accountant/businessman i'll be earning 4 times more than him so its all good.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I honestly believe that the only time I will be seriously considered for a job is when it says something along the lines of "would suit a student" in the advert.
Fi0na.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blahbloo)
I know how it feels Fiona, I have no work experience at all but most of the places that rejected me because other applicants were more experienced. One shop I was going to apply to gave me forms that asked for my name, then the rest of the entire 2 pages was previous experience. .Bloody catch-22.

I gave my application into some lower shops like Somerfields and a shop in high street, they were quite eager to get some workers, they listed 4 vacancies. I will be so majorly annoyed if they reject me as well. :rolleyes: I must have given in 15 CVs into shops that did have vacancies, most of them part time but Im desperate for anything at all.
I know, it get all these forms and there I am eager to fill in my details then I turn to the next 100 pages dedicated to work experience I'm just like.. damn. Well at least Tesco actually responded, I remember last summer I handed in my CV to numerous places, no response whatsoever!
Anyways, I'm getting work experience organised by college this summer, this should be fun.
Good luck with Somerfield.
I really wanna just work somewhere and earn my own money =[
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.63%
No - but I will (29)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (229)
47.51%

Watched Threads