!I'm in love! Watch

epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just to point out that there are, like, no students in Cambridge at the moment. I mean, it's a popular tourist resort at the best of times, but there are usually 18,000 students there as well. At the moment, there are probably only about 2,500 spread throughout the entire area. *It's the summer vacation*.

(Original post by afua12)
I don't know, it just seemed to me that they didn't really care about it, and were just riding on the fact that most applicants will have wanted to go their for years anyway and so already know everything about the university.
Interesting point. I see where you're coming from, but you're one in one particular respect: contrary to assuming applicants know everything about the University, we're constantly battling against people who *think* they do; teachers & parents who think they know best & misinform, and students who hear things form a friend about a friend of a friend. By far the most difficult thing Oxbridge has to face with admissions is people's MISperceptions, all the myths, and all the VERY outdated misinformation.
You're right, though, that Oxbridge is popular. Not always with the right people for the right reasons, however -- and Cambridge certainly isn't complacent about this.

It isn't for everyone, though! I hated one of the universities I thought I would like, so didn't apply. Some people are like that with Cambridge. It's a place, a well as an academic institution. But do think about where you can get the best education, too. It might also be worth going back in term-time, when there are actually student. (Term begins 7th October, and ends very beginning of December, this year).
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamie_90)
Physical, although having not done chem (well I might do it at AS next, or FM at AS) options are pretty restricted...I would go for Physics, Maths, Evolution and Behavior and Geology probably...having only done Physics and maths, just worried that I won't really look like a 'scientist', and they'll be like 'so, why did you only do physics, and now you're going for a natural sciences degree'
I'd e-mail colleges to find out how they'd view application. I was thinking about reapplying a couple of weeks ago, and strangely the only college to reply positively was the one I'd really have liked to go to. I'm bio though. I've only got two sciences to A2, which they say they'll consider, but I expect it'd be tough to get in. Do you have a third science type AS?
elin89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol yeah it's such a little thing, but it sort of highlighted the impression I got from the university that everything was geared more towards the whole Cambridge view, rather than actually making it a comfortable, appealing place for students to live. Nothing was signed properly, there were hardly any students around to help out, and it made me feel like I had to put an unecessary effort in just to see the place. The tutor who gave the MMl talk in Queens college said that he hadn't prepared to talk to us, and at the stand they were even less keen to just talk to me about the course.

I don't know, it just seemed to me that they didn't really care about it, and were just riding on the fact that most applicants will have wanted to go their for years anyway and so already know everything about the university.
ah, you should have come to the Sidney open day, we had people for most subjects, information stalls and loads of students to talk to- in fact we didn't really shut up! for us it was up to us to make everyone that came comfortable and to show the college and the university off. dont be put off by just those colleges, it varies so much.
Jahmez23
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
blimey me...I thought King's was amazing! Not just the chapel, but it looked beautiful next to the canal, and in that back courtyard, besides the dining hall etc. I also love its reputation for lack of tradition and all that. However, chatting to one natural scientist, she said it was terribly competitive...is this the case? I was gutted when she said this...
apply to kings. Out of all the colleges, kings is one of the most unique in terms of having a different feel to it (radical/progressive/diverse)-ness to it, so if it felt right there, APPLY. At least you'll know if it could have happened.
acrosstheuniverse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
blimey me...I thought King's was amazing! Not just the chapel, but it looked beautiful next to the canal, and in that back courtyard, besides the dining hall etc. I also love its reputation for lack of tradition and all that. However, chatting to one natural scientist, she said it was terribly competitive...is this the case? I was gutted when she said this...
Seriously, as other people have said, if you like kings then apply there!

As applications to various colleges and for different subjects varies year from year, this means that a college may go from being very popular in one year, to being much less so in another - so i wouldn't think too much about competitiveness etc as they all are. Also, while Kings is probably one of the 'more' popular colleges, the very fact that its regarded as more popular and competitive could dissuade applicants.

However, it's never a good idea to try and play the statistics, and you should just apply for the place you like best. Also, i seem to remember reading in one of the Kings prospectuses that they are particularly good at getting their applicants offers form other colleges in the pool, so i wouldn't let that dissuade you. Apply to Kings, and good luck!
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it isn't a canal.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We've already covered that, Chewwy. :p:
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thats what I thought...and I was feeling just like 'wtf I may as well have a shot at it'...but the girl we were talking to was a bit skeptical about the pooling system, and my Dad was there and he says I'd be a **** to go for one of the most competitive colleges especially if I went for NatSci (where I'm disadvantaged with no chem/fm at A2) which would totally minimise my chances of getting in...He makes sense, and I guess it would be pretty reckless
That's how I felt before I applied, but I did, and am about to go into my third year now! It is competitive, but as others have said, the pooling system exists for a reason. I have no regrets about applying to King's, and had I been rejected I think I would have been glad I applied to a college where I thought I would be happy. I could see myself there over any other college, so it made sense to apply. If your gut instinct is King's, apply. Don't play the numbers game, as the number of applicants fluctuate every year anyway. I thought it might be reckless to apply to King's when I didn't feel very confident about getting in, but I'm here now

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions specifically about King's
priya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol yeah it's such a little thing, but it sort of highlighted the impression I got from the university that everything was geared more towards the whole Cambridge view, rather than actually making it a comfortable, appealing place for students to live..Nothing was signed properly, there were hardly any students around to help out, and it made me feel like I had to put an unecessary effort in just to see the place.
I see your point, but think about this - Cambridge has to delicately balance its existence as a student campus, a huge tourist attraction as well as a residential market town. In my opinion, things such as signposting would make the town worse, seem false- you wouldn't expect signs to colleges/post offices etc in somewhere like Leeds or UCL, for example. Also, as epitome has already mentioned, students go home - and it's a lot of effort for many of them to come back to help out, given not that many students live close by.

The tutor who gave the MMl talk in Queens college said that he hadn't prepared to talk to us, and at the stand they were even less keen to just talk to me about the course.

Again, defending the institution, tutors are often called in last-minute to do these things (I nearly ended up doing the mml talk at sidney due to our tutor being on a plane...) however, it would probably have been a good idea for him to have prepared even something brief.

Regarding your last bit, i'm sorry you didn't find the stand useful. I don't think the issue is that people don't care, it's more complicated. As well as all the people who hold misperceptions, it's hard at events such as open days to strike a balance between being informative and not being patronising. A lot of people who come on these things do know some stuff about the course already, and use the open day as an opportunity to ask questions. It's not a bad thing that you just wanted people to talk to you, but you may have caught people off-guard in between the keenos bombarding us with questions
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I can understand all of the points you have made, but it was just a bit of a disappointment. There's so much hype surrounding Cambridge, when I got there I expected it to be a beautiful, interesting city/university, but instead it was just...well, I don't know. In my opinion, it wasn't as beautiful as it's made out to be, and whilst other universities had me running around interested in this, that and the other, from Cambridge I left early with the feeling that I was just a tourist who had happened to stumble across the open day.

I know it was only an open day, and on a day to day basis the university is probably a lot different, but it's just the impression I got. I'll probably go to one or two college open days in September, to check my first impressions (which we should never really rely on) but if again it's the same - then Cambridge just isn't for me ,which is probably just as well, considering my chances of getting a place - so it would probably be to my advantage!
Supergrunch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I can understand all of the points you have made, but it was just a bit of a disappointment. There's so much hype surrounding Cambridge, when I got there I expected it to be a beautiful, interesting city/university, but instead it was just...well, I don't know. In my opinion, it wasn't as beautiful as it's made out to be, and whilst other universities had me running around interested in this, that and the other, from Cambridge I left early with the feeling that I was just a tourist who had happened to stumble across the open day.

I know it was only an open day, and on a day to day basis the university is probably a lot different, but it's just the impression I got. I'll probably go to one or two college open days in September, to check my first impressions (which we should never really rely on) but if again it's the same - then Cambridge just isn't for me ,which is probably just as well, considering my chances of getting a place - so it would probably be to my advantage!
I wouldn't base anything on your impressions of the open day - as I said earlier, it took me half a term or so to get used to the university, and though I came to love it, this was (and is) nothing to do with it being pretty. (though I suppose it does look fairly nice) Rather than wondering what sort of a place you'd like to be in, ask yourself what sort of a university you'd like to go to, and go from there.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's any consolation, afua12, I was fairly indifferent to the university when I went on an open day too. It was only when I saw what's now my college that I thought "Ah ha! I'm coming here!". As for the rest of the city: it's really quite wonderful, the more you discover of its history and all the nooks & crannies. It's a beautiful place, with various different characters.
Open days are always a bit weird.
But it might just be you don't like the place! I feel like that about London all the time...
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Actually, one of the great (bust also frustrating) things about my own college is that it's absolutely gorgeous, but not that many people make the way to it to see it. Even loads of people at this university have never seen our amazing gardens. I'd urge blokes to come and see the place, too, just for the sight of it (sorry, chaps, afraid you cant apply. You can hang around looking longing, though, if you like...:p:)

It's great, because it's like our secret. (Indeed, garden party this year was called "The Secret Garden"). But annoying, because it means no-one actually knows how cool it is!
Given that we let you use our boathouse I'm offended I've not been shown around these gardens. Though I probably wouldn't be that appreciative.
Westcott House, the theological college opposite Jesus, has really lovely gardens, having said that.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Apagg)
Given that we let you use our boathouse I'm offended I've not been shown around these gardens. Though I probably wouldn't be that appreciative.
You're always welcome! Best in summer, accompanied by drink & food. but always awesome.
beep!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey Epitome - thought I'd catch you here as the convo on the English thread had moved on and this thread's about loving a college. It WAS you at the Newnham open day when we sat on the grass and you filled in for you DOS! I knew it was when I saw you comments on loving the gardens at Newnham. Just so you know I totally LOVED the college and I thought you were great as well - your laid back, reasoned and friendly manner made the prospect of applying less daunting. I was so tempted to apply there however I chose King's because it was love at first sight a couple of years before hand and that was too difficult to shake off. That said next year I'll hopefully have some Newnhamite friends which will give me a good excuse to lounge around it.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by beep!)
Hey Epitome - thought I'd catch you here as the convo on the English thread had moved on and this thread's about loving a college. It WAS you at the Newnham open day when we sat on the grass and you filled in for you DOS! I knew it was when I saw you comments on loving the gardens at Newnham. Just so you know I totally LOVED the college and I thought you were great as well - your laid back, reasoned and friendly manner made the prospect of applying less daunting. I was so tempted to apply there however I chose King's because it was love at first sight a couple of years before hand and that was too difficult to shake off. That said next year I'll hopefully have some Newnhamite friends which will give me a good excuse to lounge around it.
Hey beep!
I'm glad you liked Newnham! Definitely come back and say hello. You know you can make use of the gardens even if you're not a member of the college, so feel free to come in with a book or picnic whenever!
King's has a really nice Fellows' Garden, too -- I'm not sure what the regulations are about using it ("Fellows" suggests exclusive, and I know I've been in there, er, 'illigitimately'...but I'm not sure what the official rules are!) -- they're really nice, though!
I'm sure you'll have a wicked time. Get involved with access stuff at your college & help out on the open days & on here!
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Hey beep!
I'm glad you liked Newnham! Definitely come back and say hello. You know you can make use of the gardens even if you're not a member of the college, so feel free to come in with a book or picnic whenever!
King's has a really nice Fellows' Garden, too -- I'm not sure what the regulations are about using it ("Fellows" suggests exclusive, and I know I've been in there, er, 'illigitimately'...but I'm not sure what the official rules are!) -- they're really nice, though! I'm sure you'll have a wicked time. Get involved with access stuff at your college & help out on the open days & on here!
It's open to all King's members. It was effectively my back garden last year...
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice!
--
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vjyrik)
I went to Selwyn as well, asked if it would be possible to meet some Maths students, but they said that 'most of the students are gone during summer'... :no:

Term ended a month ago nearly, so of course everyone went home. The only people that are left are post-grads who have July deadlines and rowers doing the Cambridge Uni Development Squad thingy and who are on a pretty hectic schedule (and the prospect of a person at a specific college doing a specific subject also doing the Dev Squad are relatively slim). If you want to meet Mathmo students you should visit during term, and contact the admissions tutor prior to your arrival so they can maybe arrange a student to meet you.
Catsmeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
King's is ridiculous. The chapel is a disproportionately large eyesore. Nice chapel, just looks like it should be somewhere else, and makes the rest of the college look comparatively a bit pathetic. :p: On the other hand, there are some views you kinda have to see yourself. I loved Cambridge when I visited it; I'm a bit desensitised to it now, but it's still great.
That's the nature of living in any great location of beauty; at first, I was astounded by the views, the architecture, but soon (especially during term) I was more concerned with getting to my next lecture, or a supervision, and the concerns of whether, or not, there would be heating (you soon realise that, often, old buildings correlate to poor heating. At least in my experience). Don't let us dispassionate lot sew seeds of pessimism, however; it's probably us who are at fault.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads