UCL more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge? Watch

strangelybeautiful
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
How many people apply to UCL but not Oxbridge anyway?
a fair couple.. me included!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bkcr20)
But surely if you're working on the assumption that if they'd been given an offer in November they'd have probably been with the Oxbridge applications, and the best people get into Oxbridge then it's feasible that they're the best?
But that's the point, working on the assumption they applied to Oxbridge. I received one offer in October (a day after sending my form off) and two in November yet I didn't apply to Oxbridge. Durham were the only uni not to give me an offer within the first few weeks. They waited until December or January (understandable as it's collegiate and has top class applicants).

Also just because they're at an open day it doesn't mean that they've been given an offer.

Also the "best people" don't necessarily get into Oxbridge. A minority, and I realise it's a tiny minority, may not even apply.

(Original post by edd.h)
My experience suggested to me that (as many people seem to think) Durham do have a negative attitude to possible oxbridge attitudes (ridiculous though that may seem
Trust me, they don't. It would take a massive assumption on the part of the university and may mean they miss out on getting a top student. Without perpetuating the myth that Durham is full of Oxbridge rejects I know a great number of people who applied to Oxbridge and Durham (obviously getting offers from Durham). Not all were rejects, a tiny few chose Durham over Oxbridge. It's not suprising, given the exceptional candidates that apply to Durham (especially for arts courses and some sciences) people get rejected yet get into other unis, such as Oxbridge, who have the advantage of being able to interview.

What course was this for?
Pikey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's no point in trying to guess exactly how any particular uni assess their applicants. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant. Assuming the likes of UCL & Durham do have a slight bias toward Oxbridge applicants (and it could only be slight, given the number of people who apply to both and still get interviews/offers from the former), chances are it isn't going to prevent anyone willing to give Oxbridge a shot from doing so. Once you've sent of your app, you just have to hope for the best.

As for using it as an excuse for getting rejected... I don't see why getting rejected from a top uni should be such a blow to anyone's confidence that they have to find excuses for it.
edd.h
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
What course was this for?
Geography; they're one of the only four geography departments in the UK with a 6* research rating and were rated as the third best geography department in the UK last year (after Cambridge and LSE).

For Durham as a top flight university to reject people out of hand as they have so many applicants seems perfectly reasonable, it was simply the speed at which it was done and the subsequent positive moves from UCL and Oxford (plus the fact that others at the interview had similar tales) that made it seem odd at the time.

Looking back at it I suppose my gripe was with the fact there was only a day or so between sending the application in (4 A grade A-levels, or 5 if you could count General Studies, heh) and getting the the rejection, rather than the rejection itself (was also rejected from Bristol, but they took three months to do so).

This whole Durham, UCL, Warwick, etc. as "Oxbridge Reject" universitys theory really doesn't play out if you look at it in the bigger picture, and it's not something I believe, I was just sharing my personal experience of the process.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Applications are not considered by some kind of all-seeing embodiment of the university but by individual admissions tutors, who are generally mild-mannered, middle-aged and love Boden's cashmere separates. Most of them probably have no idea when the university received an application. One of my family is a tutor at Durham.

As a point of interest, I was asked 'off the record' in my interview for UCL if I had an Oxbridge place.
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PrinceOfCats)
Applications are not considered by some kind of all-seeing embodiment of the university but by individual admissions tutors, who are generally mild-mannered, middle-aged and love Boden's cashmere separates.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Cambridge application (from which I was pooled and then rejected) did not affect my admission to UCL for French and Spanish, but I'm wondering whether it affected my Durham one, where I was outrightly rejected without interview.

They might have read my mind; <cliche>as I didn't want to go there anyway</cliche>. :rofl:
Princess-Leah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont think theres any truth in that. I applied to cambridge, yet got my place in ucl.
Also ucl wont know what other uni´s youve applied to, until you´ve chosen your firm and insurance.
Prehaps you applied so early cos you are really eager. lol
xxx
Emily246
Report 10 years ago
was rejected yesterday from ucl, applied for esps, predicted AAA, got 4As at AS, thought i had a pretty good personal statement and reference..whaat went wrong?!
now waiting on cambridge durham lse and bristol eeeek
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally, I think there might be some vague truth in this, and no matter how much people deny it, we can never guess what goes through the admissions tutors minds. It would certainly explain why a lot of people with 9A*+ and predicted 4As got rejected for economics last year, and it's definitely not a PS thing because a lot of these people got into LSE.
Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ye this definately happens. I think in a way if they think you're 'too good' and they're pretty certain you'd get into LSE/Oxbridge, they end up rejecting you.
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dragonkiller)
Ye this definately happens. I think in a way if they think you're 'too good' and they're pretty certain you'd get into LSE/Oxbridge, they end up rejecting you.
That is common.
UCL dont want to waste time on people who obviously too bright for them and will almost certainly get into Cam/Ox or LSE.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And one wonders at why economists were caught short when crisis struck... it's because they were all making conspiracy theories about why they/they're mates didn't get into UCL, largely basing these on their football-stickers hierachised view of prestigous universities.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I fail to see the logic of people who think this is true. For what reason would UCL one of the top 10 world universities reject the best candidates ? It is a logic fail to believe it really.
Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They don't want to 'waste' offers. No point giving an offer to someone that they know 99% won't go there.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dragonkiller)
They don't want to 'waste' offers. No point giving an offer to someone that they know 99% won't go there.
That's just wrong, UCL or any other uni have no idea what anybody else will do. Any uni just wants the best possible students, and anyway many more offers are made than places are available. Frankly if you are rejected it means the university doesn't want you, it is very bigheaded to suggest a person is too good for a uni, especially one of UCL's standard.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
I fail to see the logic of people who think this is true. For what reason would UCL one of the top 10 world universities reject the best candidates ? It is a logic fail to believe it really.
But the thing is, you can never be sure, and it would be a damn good explanation for all those people with ridiculously good grades who get rejected without being given an explanation, and as I've previously mentioned, a lot of these people get offers from LSE too so it can't be the PS. Also, they have a clue if you're Oxbridge or not if you apply before 15th Oct. I know an Oxbridge guy who got rejected today with 13A*s and predicted 5As for straight Eco.

The only flaw I can see in the argument is that I only know/have heard of around 15-20 people who this has happened to.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
But the thing is, you can never be sure, and it would be a damn good explanation for all those people with ridiculously good grades who get rejected without being given an explanation, and as I've previously mentioned, a lot of these people get offers from LSE too so it can't be the PS. Also, they have a clue if you're Oxbridge or not if you apply before 15th Oct. I know an Oxbridge guy who got rejected today with 13A*s and predicted 5As for straight Eco.

The only flaw I can see in the argument is that I only know/have heard of around 15-20 people who this has happened to.
The thing is you are never quite sure what the admissions tutor actually is looking or what he/she reads from the PS. For instance one tutor may read a sentence as brilliant the an other may read the same sentence as complete arrogance. The fact that a bitter few rejectees make a lot of noise noes not show a widespread UCL policy.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
The thing is you are never quite sure what the admissions tutor actually is looking or what he/she reads from the PS. For instance one tutor may read a sentence as brilliant the an other may read the same sentence as complete arrogance. The fact that a bitter few rejectees make a lot of noise noes not show a widespread UCL policy.
True, but you definitely can't rule it out as being a reason for rejection.
anishapol
Report 10 years ago
im gettin pretty scared now... i've applied to lse and kings nd if they both reject me, cos im applyin cambridge my insurance uni wud vanish...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (412)
37.83%
No - but I will (83)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (519)
47.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed