Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hayles101)
I made the question...so I say it is allowed :p:

Ahh the benefits of being the question master
LOL

well in that case, I will say a reasonable amount of exercise (20min jog 2-3x a week) with a perfect diet is way better than a lot of exercise and a reasonable diet.

Factoid.
Arty Photographer
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by meathead1987)
He is totally right. Eat 500cals under maintenance per day and you will lose weight irrespective of exercise.

Eat junk all day and go to the gym a few tiems a week you will get nowhere.

Diet is far more important in my experience (I have 8 years of weight training/diet under my belt), but obviously a combination of both would work best for weightloss and overall health.
Consider an extreme - Polar explorers. They burn about 8000 Kcal a day and eat as much high energy food as they can, typically including several cups of melted fat per day (mmmm), but they still lose weight. But I agree it is not soley one or the other. Specially to be healthy, you need a good diet and exerise.
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any time this fight goes off by me "Copious amounts of alcohol" tends to win the day.

Yes I'm a fatty fatty fat fat but the footy keeps me in some sort of shape and I'm quite tall so I can carry it and get away with it.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL

well in that case, I will say a reasonable amount of exercise (20min jog 2-3x a week) with a perfect diet is way better than a lot of exercise and a reasonable diet.

Factoid.
Depends on your goals. I have a reasonable diet and do quite a lot of exercise (well, I am having a bit of a hiatus lately but nonetheless...). I am sufficiently healthy for my health not to impinge on my life in any way, or worry me. As far as I'm concerned, getting more healthy would not make much of a difference, but using 3 x 20 minutes of cardio for my weekly exercise would make me unfit, skinny, weak and generally a crap person. With regards to health it would even decrease my bone density because I'm not bearing weight any more, and 20 minutes of low intensity cardio would probably leave me with a weaker CV system than weight training.

So for me, lots of exercise and a reasonable diet is better for well being, fitness and probably even health than "reasonable" exercise and perfect diet. The commonly accepted medical definition of a perfect diet (that stupid plate) is probably a worse diet than what I am eating now anyway, which leads to the question, what do you mean by a "perfect" diet? Paleo (no milk would make me skinny and weak)? Zone? Paleo Zone? Atkins? Something else?
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hmm I see. Well I guess rabbit food it is then *sigh* so is doing so much exercise all for nothing? (body wise not healthy wise? )
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so is doing so much exercise all for nothing? (body wise not healthy wise? )
Body wise or health wise (really, body and health are quite strongly interrelated), I absolutely disagree that exercise - particularly weight bearing exercise - is for nothing.
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
(Original post by burningnun)
Body wise or health wise (really, body and health are quite strongly interrelated), I absolutely disagree that exercise - particularly weight bearing exercise - is for nothing.
I meant in terms of your body, how toned it is, how much body fat you have?
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arty Photographer)
Consider an extreme - Polar explorers. They burn about 8000 Kcal a day and eat as much high energy food as they can, typically including several cups of melted fat per day (mmmm), but they still lose weight. But I agree it is not soley one or the other. Specially to be healthy, you need a good diet and exerise.
Yes, but I could easily sit on my ass and do no exercise, eat 2000cals a day and lose weight fast.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on your goals. I have a reasonable diet and do quite a lot of exercise (well, I am having a bit of a hiatus lately but nonetheless...). I am sufficiently healthy for my health not to impinge on my life in any way, or worry me. As far as I'm concerned, getting more healthy would not make much of a difference, but using 3 x 20 minutes of cardio for my weekly exercise would make me:

unfit maybe not as fit as you are at the moment, but perfectly sufficient for good health

skinny

Thats the aim of a diet for most girls lol, and again has nothing to do with health

weak

Also unimportant for health, or weight

and generally a crap person

Subjective, but you probably are already

With regards to health it would even decrease my bone density because I'm not bearing weight any more,

Not really important for a young male

and 20 minutes of low intensity cardio would probably leave me with a weaker CV system than weight training.

I never said low intensity innit, although again, for general health its sufficient

So for me, lots of exercise and a reasonable diet is better for well being, fitness and probably even health than "reasonable" exercise and perfect diet. The commonly accepted medical definition of a perfect diet (that stupid plate) is probably a worse diet than what I am eating now anyway, which leads to the question, what do you mean by a "perfect" diet? Paleo (no milk would make me skinny and weak)? Zone? Paleo Zone? Atkins? Something else?
When I refer to an exceptional diet I dont mean the trash the government advises, I mean literally a perect diet.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I meant in terms of your body, how toned it is, how much body fat you have?
Good exercise will increase muscle mass, decrease fat mass, make you toned, sexy, strong, healthy, fit, better at sport and cleverer.

Distance running will do none of the above, except maybe decrease fat mass.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Distance running can actually reduce bone density I believe, but that may be mainly in professional athletes.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
alright, alright, calm down.
how comes i've seen loads of muscular girls then? are they taking too much PH?
to quote Austin Powers, "thats not a women, that a man, man" :p:
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Distance running can actually reduce bone density I believe, but that may be mainly in professional athletes.

i've heard that too
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I refer to an exceptional diet I dont mean the trash the government advises, I mean literally a perect diet.
A perfect diet as defined by whom though? There are still compelling cases for a number of different diets that I mentioned, a very strict Zone being one, a strict but not so strict Paleo Zone (Robb Wolf's version) being another, and diets that don't involve Zone principles but may actually be better. The jury is still very much out on what a perfect diet is, even if certain people have made up their minds and become somewhat dogmatic in their approach.

Your bolded points make reference to health being "sufficient," which can be turned right around. My health is "sufficient" on my "reasonable but not perfect" diet.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A perfect diet as defined by whom though? There are still compelling cases for a number of different diets that I mentioned, a very strict Zone being one, a strict but not so strict Paleo Zone (Robb Wolf's version) being another, and diets that don't involve Zone principles but may actually be better. The jury is still very much out on what a perfect diet is, even if certain people have made up their minds and become somewhat dogmatic in their approach.

Your bolded points make reference to health being "sufficient," which can be turned right around. My health is "sufficient" on my "reasonable but not perfect" diet.
as defined by daniel gastelu, a perfect diet is feeding the body what it needs when it needs it.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
as defined by daniel gastelu, a perfect diet is feeding the body what it needs when it needs it.
When the body needs it for what? To survive? Because in that case my diet is el perfecto.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When the body needs it for what? To survive? Because in that case my diet is el perfecto.
to perform at the level required i assume. the body has lots of nutritional needs, if you nail all these then you wont have a nutrition problem in performing your exercises. therefore its a perfect diet.

for instance, the needs of a car are petrol, oil and water. if you give it all these at the right times then a problem lies elsewhere.
Delicious Dark Appeal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you diet alone, than you will lose some weight. I've found the 70% figurea few times. However, dieting with a low-calorie diet alone without excercise means you cannot determine WHERE you lose the weight.

For girls this is sod's law, as (relative to the amount of fat thats there of course) we first lose fat in our face, than our chest, than limbs, than torso than around the hips, so you're least likely to lose weight in the particular problem areas whilst managing to look gaunt in the face!

This is why it's best to have a combination of the both so you can lose weight efficiently whilse actively targeting problem areas. This is why body builder's talk of 'sculpting' their bodies.
StrangerthanEleven
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delicious Dark Appeal)
If you diet alone, than you will lose some weight. I've found the 70% figurea few times. However, dieting with a low-calorie diet alone without excercise means you cannot determine WHERE you lose the weight.

For girls this is sod's law, as (relative to the amount of fat thats there of course) we first lose fat in our face, than our chest, than limbs, than torso than around the hips, so you're least likely to lose weight in the particular problem areas whilst managing to look gaunt in the face!

This is why it's best to have a combination of the both so you can lose weight efficiently whilse actively targeting problem areas. This is why body builder's talk of 'sculpting' their bodies.
Very true...wise words

I think I will stick to trying to keep my diet reasonably good (ie not torture myself when I want a slice of pizza once in a while) and keep up they gym most days. Hopefully I will see good results
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Very true...wise words
No, it's anecdotal ****.

Interesting points made by bn there. I'm not in the frame of mind to contribute to the discussion.

Since cleaning up (I'll qualify this: lean meats, fish, nuts, seeds, plenty of good fats, little (and low-GI) carbs, garden fruit and vegetables), bf% us down, lean mass up, cholesterol down, sleep deeper, work harder, and look better. All this in combination with exercise - typically competitive hockey and CrossFit. Italics were probably the point of this post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed