Riding motorbikes. The aggro which comes with it. Watch

SimonSingh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hanoi)
Yes this is so true...! Cars are just huge metal frames very heavy with all the excess interior, so inefficient and clunky, whereas bikes are light and agile, not to mention the feeling of the roaring engine just a few inches from you...
Ever been auto-x'ing?
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Daily driving? No thanks.
I've driven my bike nearly everyday since I passed last Aug. Only come off once. Completely my own fault, went round a corner and didn't see some ice. Luckily I was only doing 15mph at the time so I just fell on my arse.

Can't you just accept some people like riding motorbikes? I just don't like driving cars. I like RIDING in cars, I just fall asleep, it's awesome, but my brain can't cope with driving one.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MakingMoves)
Passed my CBT last month and started saving up for a bike

But jeez, everyone I know has been a ball busting party pooper. They always ask why get a bike when you can a car. So much so my old man says hes willing to get me a car for free cause hes afraid I get into a road accident.

Argh, does everyone else who rides a bike get this much agro.:mad:
...What do paramedics call motorcyclists when they on the A2, it's raining and it's the evening rush-hour?

Organ Donors.

The negatives:
Much less protection (even if you are wearing the best kit available)
Much more likely to have an accident (even if it isn't your fault)
Can't carry much luggage
Freezing cold in winter
Freezing cold and wet when it rains

The positives:
Fast
Very manoeuvrable
Fun

(Original post by crazyhelicopter)
Actually I don't like motorcyclists because they're dangerous. I check my mirrors regularly and hate it when I see a motorcyclist behind me, because I know they will either-
- Weave in and out of traffic, almost getting hit on a regular basis
They only get hit on the most part when other road users change lane, speed , etc without indicating, using their mirrors, checking their blind spots, etc. Most sane cyclists aren't going to weave around you if you're changing lane, speed, etc.

Just maintain your current speed and all is great. If you want to be really helpful, indicate and move over slightly (if safe to do so) to indicate that you have seen them and give them that extra bit of room to get through safely.

- Undertake at high speed, again very dangerous
On the most part motorcyslists will undertake you if you are in the wrong lane and not moving over, making it impossible to get past. Again, if you use your mirrors properly and check your blindspot before doing anything it's very unlikely anything will happen.

The best thing you could do is move over.

I'm not surprised that motorcyclists are involved in so many accidents, they ride like idiots (on the most part).
More accidents are caused by other road users than the careless and/or dangerous driving of motorcyclists.

My dad used to commute every day into London for over a decade. He never caused any accidents, but how many times did people hit/touch him from not using their mirrors and checking their blind spot? Hundreds of times. How many times was he cut up, etc because people 'didn't see him' with his lights on, fluorescent jacket and bright red bike? Thousands.

(Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
Cars are better and faster than bikes nowadays

By cars i mean real cars not a joe average mondeo...
My dad's CBR 600 (an average bike) could outrun both off the line and round a track Porsches and other high performance cars, tricked up cars, etc.

By and large bikes are faster and more manoeuvrable than the vast majority of cars you see on the road (and that might be partly why the police are ordered not to pursue them).
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
My dad's CBR 600 (an average bike) could outrun both off the line and round a track Porsches and other high performance cars, tricked up cars, etc.

By and large bikes are faster and more manoeuvrable than the vast majority of cars you see on the road (and that might be partly why the police are ordered not to pursue them).
He's right you know. Even my mates restricted CBR600 could do that. They only think it lacks is straightline speed (which is still 105-ishmph
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MakingMoves)
Passed my CBT last month and started saving up for a bike

But jeez, everyone I know has been a ball busting party pooper. They always ask why get a bike when you can a car. So much so my old man says hes willing to get me a car for free cause hes afraid I get into a road accident.

Argh, does everyone else who rides a bike get this much agro.:mad:
The fact that you are not mature enough to take the advice/criticism seriously, and then make up your mind tells me that they are all right, you shouldn't be getting a bike.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ducki)
He's right you know. Even my mates restricted CBR600 could do that. They only think it lacks is straightline speed (which is still 105-ishmph
The fireblade is even faster :evil:
Ducki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The fireblade is even faster :evil:
That bike's just silly :rolleyes: Still want one though
RangerX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've always wanted a motorbike and if I do get a motorbike I would only use it on motorbike racing tracks. I do have a mountain bike which I cycle on everyday on the road to take me to and from work home. It is very dangerous on bikes, I once fell off badly on my bicycle and wounded myself and I wasn't wearing a helmet but I was lucky. My head was hurting for days but Im fine now. It was all my fault because I was so angry that day and just felt crazy Cars are more safer and comfortable and you have the space if you need to carry anything along as you travel. I really enjoy the thrill of cycling and It helps me save alot of money by not using public transport. There is too much road traffic nowadays and I get to where I am going quick on my mountain bike. What really put me off wanting to get a motorbike is because one of my classmate from college died from a motorbike crash I don't think a motorbike should be used on public road and if used they should have their own special motorbike lane. Is the risk what the gain and sacrifice?
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
I've always wanted a motorbike and if I do get a motorbike I would only use it on motorbike racing tracks. I do have a mountain bike which I cycle on everyday on the road to take me to and from work home. It is very dangerous on bikes, I once fell off badly on my bicycle and wounded myself and I wasn't wearing a helmet but I was lucky. My head was hurting for days but Im fine now. It was all my fault because I was so angry that day and just felt crazy Cars are more safer and comfortable and you have the space if you need to carry anything along as you travel. I really enjoy the thrill of cycling and It helps me save alot of money by not using public transport. There is too much road traffic nowadays and I get to where I am going quick on my mountain bike. What really put me off wanting to get a motorbike is because one of my classmate from college died from a motorbike crash I don't think a motorbike should be used on public road and if used they should have their own special motorbike lane. Is the risk what the gain and sacrifice?
Wearing the best protective equipment and being an experienced rider goes a long way.

I cringe when i see people flying past in jeans, OR EVEN SHORTS, and a t shirt, no gloves, no boots, etc. A friend of a friend was a model, after coming off 10+years ago without leathers, gloves, jacket or boots she hasn't been able to wear a skirt or shorts since because they're such a mess. Then there are the people who have lost fingers and toes and yards of skin.

Ditto on the bicycle front. I came off at 20+mph on my bike, i smashed my helmet rather than my head but i was still in a bad way. By luck that was the first time i'd worn it in several years, now i always wear the best i can afford.

At the end of the day how much do you value your life? A cheap (or no) helmet, or one that was several hundred pounds? A primark t shirt and shorts with trainers, or a set of leathers with collision pads in vulnerable areas, and gloves and boots made from kevlar and carbon fibre...
Ducki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
I've always wanted a motorbike and if I do get a motorbike I would only use it on motorbike racing tracks. I do have a mountain bike which I cycle on everyday on the road to take me to and from work home.

It is very dangerous on bikes, I once fell off badly on my bicycle and wounded myself and I wasn't wearing a helmet but I was lucky. My head was hurting for days but Im fine now. It was all my fault because I was so angry that day and just felt crazy Cars are more safer and comfortable and you have the space if you need to carry anything along as you travel.

I really enjoy the thrill of cycling and It helps me save alot of money by not using public transport. There is too much road traffic nowadays and I get to where I am going quick on my mountain bike. What really put me off wanting to get a motorbike is because one of my classmate from college died from a motorbike crash

I don't think a motorbike should be used on public road and if used they should have their own special motorbike lane. Is the risk what the gain and sacrifice?
Please try to break your posts up into paragraphs, it makes it oh so much easier to read.

Who are you to say that people shouldn't be able to go around really fast and living by the skin of their teeth? Todays life is almost virtually risk free, and humans need a bit of risk to get the adrenaline pumping; what better way than a motorbike?

And people die all the time. If he hadn't died on the bike, enjoying himself with the wind whistling through his helmet, the chances are he'd have died a long, lingering death from cancer, dementia etc etc, and who would wish that on anyone?

And there isn't enough room for 'motorbike' lanes in the country. And banning motorbikes would be silly, they're one of the most efficient motorised means of transportation out. Just because they're a bit dangerous isn't grounds to ban them.
crazyhelicopter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just maintain your current speed and all is great. If you want to be really helpful, indicate and move over slightly (if safe to do so) to indicate that you have seen them and give them that extra bit of room to get through safely.
I do this when I can, but have had some really bad experiences on A roads when I've been overtaking, seen a bike in my rearview and next thing I know he's riding up my inside. For this reason I always check my blind spot, don't want a mess on my car.

More accidents are caused by other road users than the careless and/or dangerous driving of motorcyclists.
This may be true, just wanted to highlight that it's not just bad drivers on the road
mdb5999
Report 10 years ago
i've got a Gilera DNA and i absolutely love it but some of my mates say i'm stupid to ride it. But i think your only stupid to ride it if you don't wear all the protective gear which i do.
They are only jealous they can't get around as easily as i can at 16!!
RangerX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wearing the best protective equipment and being an experienced rider goes a long way.

I cringe when i see people flying past in jeans, OR EVEN SHORTS, and a t shirt, no gloves, no boots, etc. A friend of a friend was a model, after coming off 10+years ago without leathers, gloves, jacket or boots she hasn't been able to wear a skirt or shorts since because they're such a mess. Then there are the people who have lost fingers and toes and yards of skin.

Ditto on the bicycle front. I came off at 20+mph on my bike, i smashed my helmet rather than my head but i was still in a bad way. By luck that was the first time i'd worn it in several years, now i always wear the best i can afford.

At the end of the day how much do you value your life? A cheap (or no) helmet, or one that was several hundred pounds? A primark t shirt and shorts with trainers, or a set of leathers with collision pads in vulnerable areas, and gloves and boots made from kevlar and carbon fibre...
Thanks for the advice choco. I have a tony hawk helmet but I've never used it while cycling to work. I would start using it now or get a better helmet. I travel about 2.5miles on my mountain bike to work everyday, it is good exercise. I would start using the right gear soon for cycling. hehe cos I often just wear my t-shirt and jeans while cycling.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BSJ)
Motorbikes Killlll
As do cars.

if you're sensible and wear all the proper gear (even if you do look like a power ranger!) then you should have no problems.

My dadf has been riding a motorbike for the last 30 years. In that time, he's only had one accident and that wasn't his fault.

I cringe when i see people flying past in jeans, OR EVEN SHORTS, and a t shirt, no gloves, no boots, etc.
People like this are stupid. Personally, I would rather sweat like hell than wear shorts and t-shirt, come off and really hurt myself. My dad refused to take me out on his bike until I was dressed properly.

I'm sure I had this lecture (just read some posts in this thread) 3 years ago from a friend of mine.
sharpesparkle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Living in Lincolnshire, where it seems about 50% of the population are bikers, my experience is actually that the cars are the dangerous ones. Up here, anyway, you get some real idiot drivers overtaking blind, weaving in and out of the traffic, and I have seen multiple near-misses where they just shoot out without even noticing the biker coming the other way. I had a friend up here from the south the other day and she was SHOCKED at the behaviour of some car drivers up here.

Up here, there's lots of posters around highlighting bike safety, which has sadly become a necessity as there are so many accidents- the other week a woman was killed near my house when a car came out of a junction without looking, hit the bike which she was thrown from and under the wheels of a car coming the opposite direction (admittedly not that driver's fault). She was riding pillion with her husband, and they'd both been riding for about 40 years.

It just gets me so mad that bikers get all this aggro, when really car drivers could do with looking for bikers more often, and giving them a bit of space if needs be. I do admit, there are some bikers who are total gooners, and I have been frightened by bikers weaving in and out of the traffic, but I see so many more cars doing the same.

I'm a car driver, by the way, and I love driving. But I also LOVE riding pillion with my man, who is a great biker, and doesn't take unnecessary risks. We've had a couple of close calls with cars thinking it's ok to try and overtake US on a bend.
Also, he really works the Power Ranger look. Mmmm.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its safer to to weaving etc in a car than a bike ...
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
Its safer to to weaving etc in a car than a bike ...
you shouldnt be weaving in a car to start with. its very dangerous.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
you shouldnt be weaving in a car to start with. its very dangerous.
agreed but its safer to than a bike ...
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bikers are at most danger from car drivers.

The average biker is in far more control of the vehicle than an average car driver.

It just takes less to kill a biker than a car driver.

Hence, I want a big slow heavy bike.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tofufi)
Bikers are at most danger from car drivers.

The average biker is in far more control of the vehicle than an average car driver.

It just takes less to kill a biker than a car driver.

Hence, I want a big slow heavy bike.
...but that means you can't get out of the way quick enough. When i'm out on my bike (pedal power version) i'm going 20ish mph on the flat which is relatively slow and i still get people cutting me up, pulling out in front of me, etc (and this is when i'm wearing a hi vis top and have flashing lights on during the day, hardly invisible).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed