How do you like your cardio? (hold the mayonnaise) Watch

Poll: When running/jogging you usually...
...use the treadmill without an MP3 player (18)
18.75%
...use the treadmill with an MP3 player (41)
42.71%
...run outside without an MP3 player (12)
12.5%
...run outside with an MP3 player (25)
26.04%
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I'm going to run, I do it outside without an MP3 player (since I don't possess one).

However, the vast majority of my cardio is done on the rowing machine, which is hardly surprising given that I'm training for rowing. This involves a mix of high intensity intervals (not quite short enough to be strictly HIIT - typically something like 6x500m) and longer rows, doing things like 2x5k.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate cardios but my gym is about 15 mins walk from my house so end up getting a bit of exercise that way. Why are cardios so important? I am not too bothered about getting fit - just want well defined muscles.
esm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steve2006)
thats what i used to do but its very ineffective compared to hiit if you wish to lose bodyfat. My HIIT workout is around 20 min. I use this which i found off a website and it works very well:

1 minute: 12 km/h (sprint)
1 minute: 5 km/h (recover)
1 minute: 12.5 km/h (sprint)
1 minute: 5 km/h
1 minute: 12.8 km/h
1 minute: 13.0 km/h
1 minute: 13.5 km/h
1 minute: 13.8 km/h
1 minute: 14 km/h
1 minute: 14.5 km/h
1 minute: 15 km/h
1 minute: 16 km/h
1 minute: 5 km/h (cool down)

warmup for 5 mins on a low speed and stretch before doing HIIT as you can easily pull a muscle as i found out.

Do hiit right in the morning before you have eaten anything as this is optimal fat burning time. I lost around 5kg a month doing this and it brought my bodyfat right down. Very useful for a six pack.

On my MP3 playlist i usually run to dance and bassline.
Cheers bud i'll definately give it a go, if I can handle 16km/h lol. Sadly I can't do it in the morning cos i'm working 6-2 but will give it a go in afternoons
Is there usually an option to set the speed intervals on treadmills? The ones at my gym are quite annoying to change when you are running, I know theres an interval option but not sure if you can program it.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
I hate cardios but my gym is about 15 mins walk from my house so end up getting a bit of exercise that way. Why are cardios so important? I am not too bothered about getting fit - just want well defined muscles.
You've answered your own question - cardio is important if you've actually got any interest in genuine fitness rather than just wanting bigger muscles. For my part I find it odd when people want to simply gain muscle and aren't bothered about having a body which performs better athletically, but then I wouldn't go to the gym for purely cosmetic reasons.
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always run outside and bring my Ipod. I hate treadmills. Running on the same spot for an hour is piss boring. I even quite like running in the rain, really cool and refeshing. Wakes you up.
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by esm)
Cheers bud i'll definately give it a go, if I can handle 16km/h lol. Sadly I can't do it in the morning cos i'm working 6-2 but will give it a go in afternoons
Is there usually an option to set the speed intervals on treadmills? The ones at my gym are quite annoying to change when you are running, I know theres an interval option but not sure if you can program it.
on the newer ones they have the option for speed intervals as well as customizing a HIIT workout. 16km/h may seem a bit too fast at start but you will get used to it. 16km/h is the fastest on the treadmills in my gym.
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I tried intervals on my bike a couple of days ago. I'm not sure I managed to push myself very well, but I managed 4 big pushes before I nearly fell off. Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Is HIIT really that much better? I only spent about 6 minutes doing 'proper' exercise. I'm outside so I don't usually listen to any kind of music.
lolilady---O
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Outside with MP3 HOW can some people run without music!?
Denny Crane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
I go to the gym 3 times a week and then go running outside twice a week. I prefer to listen to my MP3 whatever workouts Im doing and where ever I am. When using the treadmill in the gym I dont mind if I havent got my MP3 as either Im watching whatever they got on the tv or the music they are playing or more likely Im chatting to others. When I go running outside though I need to have my MP3 as especially really early in the morning it can get boring and dull although sometimes its good to have silence and clear air as it lets you think about stuff.
Quick question, I'm considering starting running early in the morning but im unsure wether i should eat before or after running. I think that eating before running will make you sluggish but not eating before will make you tire quickly. which should i do?
Olyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Denny Crane)
Quick question, I'm considering starting running early in the morning but im unsure wether i should eat before or after running. I think that eating before running will make you sluggish but not eating before will make you tire quickly. which should i do?
I'd eat after,
If you eat before, it might make a reappearance during...
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Fasted cardio is pretty bad. It has no benefits over normal cardio. But you are more likely to have no energy etc. Get up earlier and eat 60-90 mins before, or run later
User188463
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i love the natural feeling of running outside, but have to listen to big dance tunes to keep me motivated. Sometimes I do skipping in the garden, and my neighbors think im quite weird
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Better than mp3 is if your gyms music is BLASTING and your in front of the TV, and you watch the video, and its a pumping song...!
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I personally and would recommend you eat first maybe cereal or something not too heavy and then let it be for at least an hour and then go running - I find that I have more energy, get less tried and more importantly dont have that hollow, empty hungry feeling while Im about.

However it depends how much time you have in the morning and on your schedule, from time to time if I have an early morning shift then I run on an empty stomach or wait until after work. But generally I would recommend eat, rest and then run - but make sure its not too heavy.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)
Better than mp3 is if your gyms music is BLASTING and your in front of the TV, and you watch the video, and its a pumping song...!
LA fitness are gay..they hardly play any music, and even if they do they play it really low.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had to lift to the mcfly albulm this afternoon because thats all the rubbish gym station was playing. Really helped me get psyched

Prospective economist: you use LAF? are you allowed to deadlift there?
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LA fitness are gay..they hardly play any music, and even if they do they play it really low.
Well if you go to a cardio bunny fested poncey gym waht do ya expect lol?
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No other gyms in my area, and I don't fancy going to some dingy old dirty gym with only freeweights.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
I had to lift to the mcfly albulm this afternoon because thats all the rubbish gym station was playing. Really helped me get psyched

Prospective economist: you use LAF? are you allowed to deadlift there?
Yeh..they have a huge freeweights room.
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No other gyms in my area, and I don't fancy going to some dingy old dirty gym with only freeweights.
Yeah i know, our gyms like a mixture of the free-weight and cardio lover sorta gym, it has a seperate free weight room.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads