What is the IB grade required for Oxbridge/Ivy League Universities? Watch

lcc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
meh its a well-known rivalry... (apply to oxford.)
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by johannski)
You're all confusing me now:p: I'm trying to decide whether to apply for Cambridge (english) or Oxford (english and modern language) and every other comment trashes each school respectively :rolleyes:
Oh, Oxford any time. The english and modern languages course at Oxford is renowned to be the best in the world. My friend does it, she enjoys it very much. Next year she will have 1 on 1 tutorials with a leading expert on old manuscripts.
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Oxford is meant to be better for English and Languages. Though if you want to be completely unbiased, there's nothing between them really. (Apply to Oxford!) :p:
johannski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, no, no! Don't do this to me! I practically just decided to apply to Cambridge FGS :p: !
Umbrella
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josepharthur)
You must be kidding me. Oxford is not an industrial city. The architecture in Oxford is splendid and much more varied. In Cambridge you have a tiny pretty city centre and nothing else.
It's not tiny and I'm glad you agree it's pretty (prettier than Oxford). You don't need to be in a big town to have an ace time at uni, there's so much to do in all of the colleges in terms of societies and as long as you're with ace people who needs tons and tons of clubs/bars or whatever? APPLY TO CAMBRIDGE!!!
Danomind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So do you all use your PREDICTED IB grades to apply for university or the ACTUAL grades you get on your exams?
Leprechaun
Report 10 years ago
I can't say much about Oxford, but when I arrived at Cambridge for the interview, it was 9:30 PM dark, snowing, few people were walking on the street, I was in front of King's Chapel, the church bells started to sing, Christmas lights were shining behind me in the stores...you can see the scene. That was pretty much the prettiest moment in my life.

Edit to above: you use your predicted as real exam grades won't be issued until the application cycle has ended.
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Or obviously the actual grades if you have them...
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
How about Economics (and Business for Oxford)?
Is Oxford better than Cambridge? (mainly in terms of offer, I think Oxford's offer is lower than that of Cambridge in general)
I am thinking to apply for the Economics course after having a gap year...
Luxe
Report 10 years ago
When I took the Oxford tour one of the guides said you would need 38 +

I've actually noticed that the central European schools don't require IB scores as high. I know that for Erasmus (which is highly accredited) you only need 24 + incl. some other schools that are "ivy league".
meeper
Badges: 4
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone here know what score that's required for History and Economics in Oxford?
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by meeper)
Does anyone here know what score that's required for History and Economics in Oxford?
As far as I'm aware, all Oxford offers are 38-40, with up to 776 in HL subjects. So you might get 38 with 776 at HL, or 40 with no other conditions etc. They would most likely ask for 7 in History/Economics or both.
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
My offer for EM was 40 points with 777 in HL

(Original post by meeper)
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shinhans31)
Wow, 777 at Higher is harsh!
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
guess what? I failed to meet the conditions of my offer

I think its because of my subject choice.
(I did Korean A1, English B HL and Maths for my HL)
Anyway it happens for the Oxbridge

(Original post by jay8)
Wow, 777 at Higher is harsh!
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
guess what? I failed to meet the conditions of my offer

I think its because of my subject choice.
(I did Korean A1, English B HL and Maths for my HL)
Anyway it happens for the Oxbridge
Oh no I'm really sorry Did you get your insurance?
lcc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
/gasp/ im not the only one!! i had four hls though so i had a bit of leeway...

Is Oxford better than Cambridge? (mainly in terms of offer, I think Oxford's offer is lower than that of Cambridge in general)
i think cambridge generally gives higher offers. i have a friend who got a 43 offer for economics this year (which is just cruel, as she was 'only' predicted 42). as far as i know oxford rarely gives 777 offers - we were just unlucky i guess.

sorry about the missed offer. out of curiosity, which college did you apply to? have you contacted them to ask whether they could still reconsider?
Aegilia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danomind)
So do you all use your PREDICTED IB grades to apply for university or the ACTUAL grades you get on your exams?
Predicted grades.
Aegilia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Leprechaun)
I can't say much about Oxford, but when I arrived at Cambridge for the interview, it was 9:30 PM dark, snowing, few people were walking on the street, I was in front of King's Chapel, the church bells started to sing, Christmas lights were shining behind me in the stores...you can see the scene. That was pretty much the prettiest moment in my life.

Edit to above: you use your predicted as real exam grades won't be issued until the application cycle has ended.
Just wondering - did you fail your entry into Cambridge? seeing that you scored a 5 for HL English.

Edit: Nevermind, you do 4 HL. Just like me .
meeper
Badges: 4
Report 10 years ago
Merci!

Finished this year with 41 and 777 in HL, including history. So hopefully I should have a chance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed