Have you rparents every doubted your ability to get into Oxbridge? Watch

groovychez89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my parents dont even think ill go to university, let alone anywhere like oxbridge! I chose to take a few years out.. they think ill like the money too much from my job to go poor again! Not listening though, i know ill go next year.. just apply and take the risk..!
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha my dad was basically the same as me, he wanted my to have it, but was still scared crapless when the letter came

meh go for it, the worst they can say is no! then you'll end up at one of the oxbridge reject unis which are pretty damn minty anyway
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, my parents think I can do anything. More fool them.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dad was the second most confident person of my ability to get in, with his confidence only being surpassed by mine. Not that it was in a pushy way or anything, just that he supported me through the whole thing and believed that I could do it if I wanted. My mum wasn't really so fussed by the whole thing, given that she's not so academically minded. She didn't seem to be particularly one way or the other in thinking that I would or wouldn't get in.
εїз pinga εїз
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by supernovastarfish)
To make it short, my parents just don't believe I have the caliber to apply to the majority of the unis that I am considering and I understand competition is fierce. I was pretty sure about applying to Cambridge (for the usual reasons: grades, interest in subject etc) but now I'm having doubts after discussing with my parents

How many of you have been told you wouldn't/won't make it, even if you met the entry requirements?
Yup yup. My dad told me I wouldn't get in so I shouldn't bother applying. When I was rejected he took great pleasure in being 'right'.
violet.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my mum told me that i won't get into oxford.
but shes probably right, so i don't care.
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by εїз pinga εїз)
Yup yup. My dad told me I wouldn't get in so I shouldn't bother applying. When I was rejected he took great pleasure in being 'right'.
lol no offence if you love him or whatever but that was a bit ********y!!
Lemons
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents have never doubted my ability to get in, but even if they had and I thought that I could I would still have gone for it. You know yourself better than they do after all (although saying that if everyone had told me not to bother I might have had second thoughts).
εїз pinga εїз
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
lol no offence if you love him or whatever but that was a bit ********y!!
He is one of the main reasons I have spent the last year depressed.
Andrew28913
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nobody would believe I could get into Oxbridge. Ironically everybody used to tell me to go for it, but now when asked where I'm thinking of applying to I just say 'I don't know' cos I know they'd laugh if I said Oxbridge
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha noone can beleive i actually got in! people call me a liar when i tell them, and if anyone else says it their like "WHO!?! him???"
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They certainly doubted if I got in, but they also hoped I would, and supported me in trying
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tomster)
Achieving your grades at a comprehensive is a brilliant achievement, and for that I congratulate you

As for your question, that what I was pretty much trying to imply.
A little patronising, don't you think?
clozet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my mum thinks im going to walk it (im applying to cambridge come autumn) and that in fact the admissions tutors are going to be falling over themselves to offer me a place!! i highly doubt im that fantastic!! im glad she supports me tho, rather than putting me down or whatever. it must be horrible for all of you who've been/are doubted by their parents.
Jean-Paul Sartre
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everytime I mention oxford to my dad he changes the subject because he thinks its stupid to go all the way to the UK for uni. He'd much rather have me go to McGill or Princeton. But he doesn't doubt my ability to get in, although sometimes I feel like he's gonna sabotage my chances somehow so I don't go to far.
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by evil groove)
A little patronising, don't you think?
I wasn't intending to patronise, I just think he's done exceedingly well to say he achieved those grades in a comphrensive.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wasn't intending to patronise, I just think he's done exceedingly well to say he achieved those grades in a comphrensive.
Not all comprehensives are holes, you know :p:
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was never pushed to apply for anything in particular, but they knew from when I was little that I wanted to apply to Oxbridge, (well Oxford, but I defected) but she always told me I'd get in. When my letter was due my nan kept asking me if my offer had come through yet. It wasn't particularly helpful but its good to know they have faith in me.
tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by evil groove)
Not all comprehensives are holes, you know :p:
I know they're not, I go to one myself!
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know they're not, I go to one myself!
Ace
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise