Missed offer - chance to still get in Watch

Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IBabc123)
Well done!! what did you get and what did u need? i am in the same situation as you?
Also what subject do you want to study?
Thanks. I missed my offer by ~2 points and missed a 6 in HL Chemistry that I needed. It was for medicine. They just sent me an email saying that they're still going to confirm my place. =)

What do you need?
rach_lilgirl
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Thanks. I missed my offer by ~2 points and missed a 6 in HL Chemistry that I needed. It was for medicine. They just sent me an email saying that they're still going to confirm my place. =)

What do you need?
Hey I was in the same boat as you I missed mine (medicine) by 3 points and got 5 in HL chem but rang them up and they asked for recent references and mock results. I havent had chance to check my emails though. Has track updated? I hope they let me in
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rach_lilgirl)
Hey I was in the same boat as you I missed mine (medicine) by 3 points and got 5 in HL chem but rang them up and they asked for recent references and mock results. I havent had chance to check my emails though. Has track updated? I hope they let me in
Oh track won't update yet since we (I) haven't finished my health check, which was a condition. They sent me an email. I'm sure you'll get in =) *crossing fingers for you*
rach_lilgirl
Report 10 years ago
Oh track won't update yet since we (I) haven't finished my health check, which was a condition. They sent me an email. I'm sure you'll get in =) *crossing fingers for you*
Thank you hopefully I'll see you there. It sounds positive as they've asked for things not just said oh we'll get back to you. My mocks were a lot higher cos I got 7s and 6s and my references are v.v.gd so heres hoping.
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Donald Duck)
If that's an issue, I could always get my dad to donate

(I'm an international too btw)
This is the reason we have a ****-head like George Bush as our world leader now. Daddy let him into Yale. Thank god we are in Europe where such nonsense would never affect a decision.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just got a +rep from an anonymous person from here. Just wanted to say that it was really nice! *hugs*

If you tell me who you are I'll rep you back :p:
saved9901
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josepharthur)
This is the reason we have a ****-head like George Bush as our world leader now. Daddy let him into Yale. Thank god we are in Europe where such nonsense would never affect a decision.
Well, what about the Oxbridge admissions tutors who promised places to the children of huge donors and were then suspended? I'm not suggesting that's endemic here, but it's been known to happen....
Leprechaun
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by schwartzschild radius)
A lad in the year previous to mine got the right grades but in the wrong subjects, cambridge made him wait until the A level results came through and accepted him anyway. Unfortunately my situation is much worse, I was predicted 38 and have somehow come out with 30, most of the the others on my cohort are in the same situation which leads me to believe the IB, which is notorious for making mistakes on marking papers has messed up somewhere along the line. I was wondering if anyone else has experience similar issues to this, particularly in english (where students who are barely literate and were predicted 3's achieved 5's, at the same time as those who were predicted 7's and study religiously have 5's, so something is not quite right).
THIS IS PRECISELY WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR GRADE. I'm suspecting that at least for English, it might have something related to font size or legibility. :hmpf:

*wishing good luck for everyone!*
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
Holy Hell... Southampton just made my offer unconditional and I missed my points by a reasonable margin :eek: :eek: I think I might faint
CONGRATS!

I just came home from work and opened my e-mail, and guess what? I'm IN! Woho! I was so happy I cried. Hehe. Looks like I'm gonna meet you after all! I thought that altough I did get 36 points, my math grade was going to ruin it all. Guess I got lucky. I'm so darn happy...Hehe...I was just about to get "used" to the idea of going to PMS and now, well, don't really need to think about that anymore!

Congrats again. *high fives*
rach_lilgirl
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomat)
CONGRATS!

I just came home from work and opened my e-mail, and guess what? I'm IN! Woho! I was so happy I cried. Hehe. Looks like I'm gonna meet you after all! I thought that altough I did get 36 points, my math grade was going to ruin it all. Guess I got lucky. I'm so darn happy...Hehe...I was just about to get "used" to the idea of going to PMS and now, well, don't really need to think about that anymore!

Hey when did you ring them? My college rang southampton on Monday morning and they wanted references sent off, but I've just found out college haven't sent anything yet. I'm worried that as time goes on the chance of them accepting me decreases.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomat)
CONGRATS!

OMG CONGRATS! When I saw you had quoted me, I was like "Please, please let her get in" *does crazy dance* I'm so happy for you and that we'll get to meet!!!! I'm SO HAPPY that I don't have to call PMS. Except that my parents have cut me off and I have no money to pay the tuition fees, so if I manage to get the money by wishing upon a star (?) OMGYAY!! If not, well let's not think about that just yet.
TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my friend, last year had a 36 point offer for UCL, he got 28 and was still accepted
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
Hey when did you ring them? My college rang southampton on Monday morning and they wanted references sent off, but I've just found out college haven't sent anything yet. I'm worried that as time goes on the chance of them accepting me decreases.
Hi. I called them on monday morning, saying that I missed a grade. The woman just asked my ucas no and my name, and...um..yeah, couple of mins after she just told me I had to e-mail my results to them. And that was it. I was going to send them an e-mail with my results, asking them to take me anyway, but didn't have the time as I was too busy working and stuff. So I was quite surprised when I found that e-mail in my inbox today.

Btw. Why would they ask you for references now? If you haven't got an e-mail or some sort of confirmation, maybe you're put on "hold" of some sort? I dunno, maybe it has something to do with nationality as well. I mean, if your british, you probably won't hear the final result until everyone has got their A-level results in mid August. Hm...But I dunno. It was just a thought. Best of luck! I'm crossing my fingers for you.
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
OMG CONGRATS! When I saw you had quoted me, I was like "Please, please let her get in" *does crazy dance* I'm so happy for you and that we'll get to meet!!!! I'm SO HAPPY that I don't have to call PMS. Except that my parents have cut me off and I have no money to pay the tuition fees, so if I manage to get the money by wishing upon a star (?) OMGYAY!! If not, well let's not think about that just yet.
Hehe. Thanks!

Yeah, me too - so glad I don't have to beg my IBC to send my papers in for remarks. Heh.

What do you mean by "your parents cutting you off"?

I hope I can get the money too...Because it is a LOT of money. I think my parents would rather not have me study in England, but it is my dream. I just hope I don't get dissapointed and that medicine is truly what I want to do. IF not, I'd feel like everything would be such a waste...Hmm.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomat)
Hehe. Thanks!

Yeah, me too - so glad I don't have to beg my IBC to send my papers in for remarks. Heh.

What do you mean by "your parents cutting you off"?

I hope I can get the money too...Because it is a LOT of money. I think my parents would rather not have me study in England, but it is my dream. I just hope I don't get dissapointed and that medicine is truly what I want to do. IF not, I'd feel like everything would be such a waste...Hmm.
Oh, my parents won't pay for my tuitions. But let's see, as some anonymous (and hopefully sane) person had said "where there's a will, there's a way"

I hope we both make it. We made it this far right? Through whining about GKT and then PMS and then the dirty buildings but the charming atmosphere of SOTON and even through the getting unconditionally accepted. We can get through the last step, right? I hope so =)!
silv3rmist
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Leprechaun)
THIS IS PRECISELY WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR GRADE. I'm suspecting that at least for English, it might have something related to font size or legibility. :hmpf:

*wishing good luck for everyone!*
This happened to me as well, i came out of the exam thinking i nailed a 6 at least and i got a bloody 4!!! Im from Hong Kong i think ppl marking the asian stuff had too much ketamine or something and to save the bother of marking and to enable them to rest early due to their headaches... gave everyone with small or ugly writing a 4 and people with nice writing regardless of content a 5. ***W T ******* im definitely remarking that and we'll see how it goes.. i know im ranting but seriosly man what the **** everyone in my school is getting like 5 points from their predicted.. this didnt happen last year did it?? what with the ibo...
rach_lilgirl
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomat)
Hi. I called them on monday morning, saying that I missed a grade. The woman just asked my ucas no and my name, and...um..yeah, couple of mins after she just told me I had to e-mail my results to them. And that was it. I was going to send them an e-mail with my results, asking them to take me anyway, but didn't have the time as I was too busy working and stuff. So I was quite surprised when I found that e-mail in my inbox today.

Btw. Why would they ask you for references now? If you haven't got an e-mail or some sort of confirmation, maybe you're put on "hold" of some sort? I dunno, maybe it has something to do with nationality as well. I mean, if your british, you probably won't hear the final result until everyone has got their A-level results in mid August. Hm...But I dunno. It was just a thought. Best of luck! I'm crossing my fingers for you.
I haven't had an email yet because the college haven't sent the stuff off yet. They just asked me to send them results and anything else that would help my case so my college went about getting recent references and mock results. I dunno if they have sent it yet, I hope I won't have to wait till August. Are you an international then?
Tomat
Report 10 years ago
I haven't had an email yet because the college haven't sent the stuff off yet. They just asked me to send them results and anything else that would help my case so my college went about getting recent references and mock results. I dunno if they have sent it yet, I hope I won't have to wait till August. Are you an international then?
Hm...:confused:

If I were you, I'd demand that my college sent off the stuff right away, and then e-mail/call the uni and talk to them about whatever needs to get sorted. But I dunno, I mean, I didn't really do anything...Sorry that I can't be to much help...

Yes I'm an int. student.
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by silv3rmist)
gave everyone with small or ugly writing a 4 and people with nice writing regardless of content (at least) a 5 .
I've always thought my handwriting to be breathtakingly beautiful. Turns out I'm right after all.
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, I WENT TO TALK TO THEM AND THEY LET ME IN!!!!!!!!!

ps, for everyone in a similar situation, I think it helps if your headmaster calls them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads