Black and worried Watch

AussieKat
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Black women are no less attractive than white women... there is no need to worry x
Seven_Three
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
Oh, God, I think I made that post, didn't I? I'm so, so sorry it's worried you.

Right. It's certainly fair to say that a lot of my guy mates and male acquaintances at Oxford seem to express a preference for blondes over anything else. When I've spoken to guys I know at Oxford, I've been surprised to hear them describe some girls I consider to have seriously ugly faces as "attractive", seemingly for no reason other than they have blonde hair (and often big boobs). Lots of girls at Oxford dye their hair blonde - sometimes I'd be in a room and, of 10 girls, I might be one of only 2 or 3 non-blondes. Furthermore, as caustic87 has alluded to, one of the papers has a "Fit College" feature, and the girls featured almost always have long, blonde hair, if memory serves.

But. I certainly don't fit the "blonde, wears short skirts, giggles all the time" mould I complained about in the random hookups thread, and I have still had plenty of boyfriends - I was hardly ever single during my 3 years at Oxford. In terms of serious relationships, personality is a huge factor, and a guy who might not think you're his 'type' if he saw you in a club might develop feelings for you because of how well you get on when you get to know each other.

When I wrote that post, I was writing as a white girl with brown hair who has noticed white girls with blonde hair getting more attention than her, regardless of their overall attractiveness, and who was sick and tired of seeing mostly blonde girls featured in Fit College. I didn't mean to imply that I haven't had plenty of male attention regardless, or that blondes are the only girls at Oxford to be considered attractive. Because I'm not black, I think it would be patronising of me to now say "oh, don't worry, race won't be an issue!" I have not been a black student at Oxford, so I think I would be a horrid, patronising person if I tried to make assumptions about what it's like to be black at Oxford. Does that make sense? But I can tell you that there are lots of mixed-race relationships at Oxford - I am in one at the moment, and was in one during my first year (both times with an Asian guy). I hope everything'll be fine, and I'm sorry my throwaway remark worried you so much.
It's true man, blondes are hot.
Jerking My Gerking
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There will be black dudes at Oxford too, shag them, if you're that worried? I really wouldn't' worry about it unless you get there and your fears are realised. Come September, you'll forget these silly doubts. Best of luck, Jerking.
nk9230
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Please keep anon or delete.

I've made this anon becuase lots of people on here know me in real life and I would be completely mortified if they knew (don't ask why) but here goes.

I'm really worried that when I go to uni noone will fancy me. You see I'm a black girl and I'm going to Oxford where the student population is predominantly white. I saw a thread in the Oxbridge forum (still there if you wanna looks its calle hook ups or soemthing) that said the general standard of attractiveness for girls/ those girls who are considered 'fit' tend to be blonde - and by default white.

I think I'm quite attractive - I'm slim nice smile, I think good personality - not being vain just saying - I have a lot of friends and would probably be labelled popular , though my school really isn;t cliquey.

I'm just worried that because I'm black noone will even consider me as 'pulleable' if you understand me - in the way you might look at someone and think 'yes she's fit, but I just wouldn't - don't ask me why'

Another thing that makes me think this is becuase most of the guys are white, middle class and will have been brought up surrounded by white girls and I will be something of an oddity.

Help! Responses much appreciated especailly from people who go to Oxbrdge, or unis that have that really middle class white demographic - I think you know what I mean.

Thanks
I know how you feel. Im in a youth orchestra where I one of 2 Bi-racial kids- the closest to being black in that organization. Everyone else is Caucasian or Asian. And they dont pick up on that race factor at all.
Just go and do your thing, u will be fine.
Jxhn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Trust me, being black and different can only be a good thing. Plus the fact is, any guys who think less of you because you aren't blonde, probably aren't worth knowing. Its like an auto-filter of guys who are superficial, i'm sure plenty of girls would like that.
glow stick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
don't worry, black girls are sexy.
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love me some brown sugar.

http://vibesource.files.wordpress.co...11507_0001.jpg
Seven_Three
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alicia Keys isn't black.
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well everyone has different tastes don't they!? You can't call people racist for it! If they fancied you but then wouldn't go out with you due to skin colour that'd be different...

Anyway, don't worry about it, there will definitely be guys who like you - everyone has different tastes as I just said such that almost everyone is fancied by someone I'd say.
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Seven_Three)
Alicia Keys isn't black.
Last time I checked "brown sugar" wasn't a specific race. :p:

To satify your pedantic tendancies though:

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...s1_300_400.jpg

She is black right? :P
Seven_Three
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)
Last time I checked "brown sugar" wasn't a race at all.
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Far too late for these racially capers, I bid you "a jew"...
Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pfft... id say just be who you are and if people fancy you by personality then thats ace!
They're the ones thats worth the worry..

Even though i find that too... im chinese and i swear guys go for my friends automatically then im left there.. but hey life goes on!
Seven_Three
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)

To satify your pedantic tendancies though:

She (Beyoncé Knowles) is black right? :P
No she isn't. She is mixed African and Creole. But that is practically black anyway, I am being pedantic.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think this is the least of the OP's worries. Why on earth do you need to be liked by white guys (or guys in general) to feel like you're worth something? The whole point of college is to get a degree so you can get a good job and earn a comfortable living ... not to put on a fashion show to hook a guy
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Please keep anon or delete.

I've made this anon becuase lots of people on here know me in real life and I would be completely mortified if they knew (don't ask why) but here goes.

I'm really worried that when I go to uni noone will fancy me. You see I'm a black girl and I'm going to Oxford where the student population is predominantly white. I saw a thread in the Oxbridge forum (still there if you wanna looks its calle hook ups or soemthing) that said the general standard of attractiveness for girls/ those girls who are considered 'fit' tend to be blonde - and by default white.

I think I'm quite attractive - I'm slim nice smile, I think good personality - not being vain just saying - I have a lot of friends and would probably be labelled popular , though my school really isn;t cliquey.

I'm just worried that because I'm black noone will even consider me as 'pulleable' if you understand me - in the way you might look at someone and think 'yes she's fit, but I just wouldn't - don't ask me why'

Another thing that makes me think this is becuase most of the guys are white, middle class and will have been brought up surrounded by white girls and I will be something of an oddity.

Help! Responses much appreciated especailly from people who go to Oxbrdge, or unis that have that really middle class white demographic - I think you know what I mean.

Thanks
The problem with your use of the word 'black' is that it tells us virtually nothing conclusive about your 'aesthetic', except for an approximation of skin-tone. To wit:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._470x329,0.jpg

http://youbetteraskher.com/Alluring%...oman%20002.jpg

http://www.blackcareerzone.com/images/chaz.jpg

http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_bv/iman-cos...400a121307.jpg

http://static.episode39.it/character/214.jpg
Anonymous #5
Report 10 years ago
hi, iam currently in my first year at uni and whilst i didnt have that fear, i think it was an issue. Im sorry to say it is a sad fact but most guys as seen in previous threads on tsr do not prefer black girls. Im a black girl at the moment, and it is difficult. The only way ive had boyfriends is through being friends with them first and talking to them etc, (letting my personality shine through) but there has never been any instant attraction.

Furthermore this will sound offencsive but agn when people say they like "black girls", they mostly mean mixed raced girls (e.g Alica Keys) and not dark skinned girls.

I also think everyone is being very harsh in stating "she should focus on her educaton, as her main priority" and whilst this is true, uni is about new experiences and so who doesnt soe freshers fun in their first year.

All i can to the OP is u will find someone who finds u attractive, it may not be straight away but it does happen. good luck xx
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im a black girl at the moment
Sorry to detract from a very serious post but :rofl:
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm kind of worried about the same thing because I'm asian (like, full on asian.. profile pic :p:) and I know that whole blonde/white stereotype.

Like others have said, people who will care aren't worth knowing.. and I know that doesn't make you feel better, but we know it's true.. right? Pooey, I know, you don't get the opportunity to meet everyone and anyone.. I'm sure it'll all work out though! Your personality will shine through at one point or another :]
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's fairly clear that you'll have some male attention. I don't think it's a matter of being "into black girls" so much as being attracted to you individually really. I'm going out with a girl who's of mixed race (white/black African) and to be honest I hardly notice her skin colour as being different to mine.

Except when we're on holiday in a hot country and my pasty whiteness blinds everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise