Results day so much worse this year? Watch

Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
I am worried about this.

In Business Studies last year, for the January AS module, I was the only one to get an A (90/90) but the teacher expected maybe 5/6 such results. Instead, people who'd been getting B/C in the class tests (which we did lots of) got E/D grades. They contacted AQA and they remarked every paper. Everyone went up by at least a grade and one of the girls who got an E was bumped up to a B. How did they get it so wrong?

It was bad as AS (we had issues with the marking of AQA English Lit Lang Mod 3 as well) but at A2 you don't have the time to sort it out and could thus lose your place at university because an examiner has mucked up.

If I didn't think I'd mucked them all up anyway, that would be my main concern I think. It would feel so dreadful to have a forced gap year or something because of an examiner's mistake.

Fingers crossed it won't happen this time round. =D
Yeah, I don't do Psychology myself, but the teacher for that subject at my school marks everybody's coursework at As and Bs every year. Last year, one of my friends was told she got an A for her coursework, and had only dropped 2 marks. On results day she opened her results and got a U for her coursework. It's worrying to think that the psychology teacher who marked these pieces of coursework is actually an examiner for A2 papers too!

A2 French and German orals are the worst though! If you sound too rehearsed you can't get any higher than a C, and the marks start plummeting from there. If you don't speak with a reasonable amount of fluency though (what they define as 'reasonable', nobody will ever know) you'll still not get a very good grade! I've heard of natives doing language oral exams who have come out with Bs and Cs too...it makes you wonder what the examiners are being told to look out for when marking from one year to the next
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
A2 French and German orals are the worst though! If you sound too rehearsed you can't get any higher than a C, and the marks start plummeting from there. If you don't speak with a reasonable amount of fluency though (what they define as 'reasonable', nobody will ever know) you'll still not get a very good grade! I've heard of natives doing language oral exams who have come out with Bs and Cs too...it makes you wonder what the examiners are being told to look out for when marking from one year to the next
The oral exams are a nightmare. Quite a few of my friends to French and/or German. In their AS German oral exam, they said the examiner kept asking them questions that are A2 standard rather than AS (which of course they were not prepared for) and they are always saying that it is hard to get the balance right between sounding like you know what you are doing and sounding like you have memorised a script.

Good luck anyway.
tropicalcoconuts3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)

Our school has had issues with language papers being marked really low, think people getting Es and Us when they were predicated As and Bs.
same! I was predicted a B, after having got an A in GCSE and just being good at french, openedmy envelope for AS got an E! Ironically, the module I thought I did terrible in (speaking exam as I burst into tears out of pressure) I got a B in and a U in the writte which I'm normally good at! So weird, I was gunna do a joint degree and everything I loved french but had to drop it after AS sucks
Sine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^^omg u guys r scaring me about French A levels
mr_Cricket
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
I am worried about this.

In Business Studies last year, for the January AS module, I was the only one to get an A (90/90) but the teacher expected maybe 5/6 such results. Instead, people who'd been getting B/C in the class tests (which we did lots of) got E/D grades. They contacted AQA and they remarked every paper. Everyone went up by at least a grade and one of the girls who got an E was bumped up to a B. How did they get it so wrong?

It was bad as AS (we had issues with the marking of AQA English Lit Lang Mod 3 as well) but at A2 you don't have the time to sort it out and could thus lose your place at university because an examiner has mucked up.

If I didn't think I'd mucked them all up anyway, that would be my main concern I think. It would feel so dreadful to have a forced gap year or something because of an examiner's mistake.

Fingers crossed it won't happen this time round. =D
I just got my business studies AS RESULT and yep im getting it re marked, in 3 units, i got AUA, , the 2 Az were very high, and obviously i cant have that much of a gap in knowledge, unit 2 is supposed to be easiest one as well, operations management , U, i mean come on :rolleyes: , this is not possible, ... AQA making such a big mistake is unbelievable!!, this is the first time im having a test re marked so... from your experience can my re marked paper go up to an A?
affinity89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mr_Cricket)
I just got my business studies AS RESULT and yep im getting it re marked, in 3 units, i got AUA, , the 2 Az were very high, and obviously i cant have that much of a gap in knowledge, unit 2 is supposed to be easiest one as well, operations management , U, i mean come on :rolleyes: , this is not possible, ... AQA making such a big mistake is unbelievable!!, this is the first time im having a test re marked so... from your experience can my re marked paper go up to an A?
Of those in my class most people went up 2/3 grades although some went slightly more (E-A or U-B). I do know of one girl who had only had one page of her answers marked (explaining her low grade) so once they marked the rest lol it shot up.

I hope you get it sorted.

mr_Cricket
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
all my Busienss studies calss is gettin UNIT 2 remarked , yayaz
JocastaJackal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
Yeah, I don't do Psychology myself, but the teacher for that subject at my school marks everybody's coursework at As and Bs every year. Last year, one of my friends was told she got an A for her coursework, and had only dropped 2 marks. On results day she opened her results and got a U for her coursework. It's worrying to think that the psychology teacher who marked these pieces of coursework is actually an examiner for A2 papers too!
I know you wrote this months ago, but I'm so glad I didn't read this before results day or I would have gone insane.

Although CCEA were kind enough to moderate 21 marks off my coursework. If it was 23 I would have dropped an entire grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads