Horse Riding - does it do much for fitness?? Watch

nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
How much time would you need to ride it for to burn 600 calories?
she said 600an hour :p:
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Horse riding isn't done to work out lol, it's a hobby, so the results you get are just a bonus.

I've never done it, but the people who i know have have said it's great for toning your legs
No Future
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Besides, I don't see the point in riding a horse for fitness when you can just go for a run. Why not go for a run instead if fitness is what you're looking for?

If you say you'd rather do something that's 'fun', well.. most things that are good for you are unpleasant.
Because horse riding is fun?

If I enjoy riding and it improves my fitness at the same time surely that's a win win situation.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An hour of good work, ie schooling not going for a nice walk in the woods.
daryush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm still puzzled by the "good things are unpleasant" sentiment ...
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nuttygirl)
she said 600an hour :p:
I think she edited it. It read 'So burning 600 calories everyday..', I think.
Meeee :)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It doesn't do anything. Really. You're not doing the work, the horse is.
:rolleyes:

I'd say it does keep you pretty fit. The actual riding and the other things like mucking out etc.

I lost loads of weight when i started riding and i'd say it got me fit too.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, didn't edit.

From a couple of exercise websites. I would just take it as a round about figure though as none of them seemed to know anything about riding. ie we can school for an hour, but not gallop for an hour. IMO you burn more from a hard schooling session. When galloping you tend to 'just let go' a lot more.

Horseback riding - galloping 512
Total Calories Burned 512
daryush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meeee :))
:rolleyes:

I'd say it does keep you pretty fit. The actual riding and the other things like mucking out etc.

I lost loads of weight when i started riding and i'd say it got me fit too.
Yeah, as did I.

I should probably resume at some point ... haven't been in a while (grrr rain!)
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daryush)
I'm still puzzled by the "good things are unpleasant" sentiment ...
Well, generally good things are bad for you and bad things are good.

Such as eating a tub of ice cream isn't good for you, but is good in the sense that you eat a tub of ice cream.

A tub of broccoli is good for you, but not very fun to eat.

Studying isn't a lot of fun, but it's good for you.

Going for a run isn't a lot of fun (If you're struggling) but it's good for you.

Etc.
Meeee :)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daryush)
Yeah, as did I.

I should probably resume at some point ... haven't been in a while (grrr rain!)
I went to ride today, got there and it started raining so i went straight home again
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mmmmmm broccoli :coma: I had a huge bowl of it today.
burningnun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like broccoli.
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear Misogynist, I've just been informed that the aforementioned cob has got a bad back and is out of action for a bit.

Damn, now who am I gonna ride in my lesson on Weds? Sorry, randomly thinking outloud...
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like protein shakes, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, potatos, pasta, rice, vegs and fruit and exercising. Does this mean they're bad for me???
daryush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, generally good things are bad for you and bad things are good.

Such as eating a tub of ice cream isn't good for you, but is good in the sense that you eat a tub of ice cream.

A tub of broccoli is good for you, but not very fun to eat.

Studying isn't a lot of fun, but it's good for you.

Going for a run isn't a lot of fun (If you're struggling) but it's good for you.

Etc.
Running is one of my favourite things in life. It is IMO definitely fun.

I quite like brocolli. Personally (slightly going off topic here but anyway) I prefer the taste of berries and yoghurt or fruit and things over ice cream or sweets any day.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ride and I can say it's made my legs more muscly and my thighs bigger but it's muscle not fat. And you do do alot of the work actually, it also depends on what type of horse you ride. If you think controlling a 1200lb animal is easy Misogynist, then why don't you try it?
daryush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
I like protein shakes, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, potatos, pasta, rice, vegs and fruit and exercising. Does this mean they're bad for me???
How dare you. I'll bet you like not being dead as well. Stop it at once, it's bad for you :p:
meekan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ekalB)
Why so? Trust me, one does for this horse.
Perhaps during the riding school phase, but after that you should know that the horse should be off the leg, no need to kick. If your kicking the horse isn't responding enough to your signals, a sqeeze is all that should be needed.
Schmokie Dragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Does it? Surely not much cardio, obv but would it tone anything/keep you fit at all?

Doesn't it make your thighs big and your derriere wide?

Thanks.
Horse riding alone is unlikely to get you fit unless you are riding daily and doing some pretty strenuous workouts. However, if you are already fit it can definitely help maintain that, as long as you are riding seriously and in order to ride seriously you need to be prety fit. I've been riding for 13 years and I dare say I am pretty competent on a horse, but I struggle with schooling because of my weight and fitness level. Oddly enough, it is harder to spend an hour in the menage schooling my horse than it is to go on a 4 hour long hack or spend a couple of hours jumping.

It works a lot of muscles, esp. thighs, abs, bottom, pectorals. When I have not ridden for a while due to uni, and then pop on my horse for an hour I will ache for days afterwards. My boyfriend went on a hack for the first time a few days ago and he is *still* sore! He was only on the horse for 20 minutes and did nothing faster than a trot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads