Geordie Accent - Whats The Big Deal? Watch

River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lolimemma)
The wider borough. :P Whickham if you've heard of it! Spent a lot of time there but I lived/live South of Durham which makes for an interesting accent! Its a mix of Geordie, Durham, and Darlo with a bit of Scottish dialect thrown in for good measure. I actually don't know anyone else who sounds like me lol. According to quite a lot of people I have a hot voice though. Even though I hate it because its so mixed!
Whickham's not Gateshead! Sorry, I just have a great hatred for Gateshead council and the town itself (which is a craphole). I want to go back to the good old days before the borough was created and reclaim independence for all the towns and villages. My area (the more rural west) has been terribly neglected by the council over the years. I hate the gits. Whickham's OK because it's not as provincial.

Still, Rowlands Gill, Whickham, Ryton and Low Fell are far too nice to be classed as Gateshead :evil:
lolimemma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Whickham's not Gateshead! Sorry, I just have a great hatred for Gateshead council and the town itself (which is a craphole). I want to go back to the good old days before the borough was created and reclaim independence for all the towns and villages. My area (the more rural west) has been terribly neglected by the council over the years. I hate the gits. Whickham's OK because it's not as provincial.

Still, Rowlands Gill, Whickham, Ryton and Low Fell are far too nice to be classed as Gateshead :evil:
Yeah Gateshead town itself is horrible. I only ever use it for the bus terminal and metro. Don't know much about Gateshead council coz I don't live within it :P Didn't a lot of places used to be classed as being in County Durham though? And I can't for the life of me think of what area the rural west is!
LauyPauy
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
yeah gateshead is a bit crap - but bus station is nice though!
i live in washington, one of the most nondiscript areas ever - part of it used to be county durham (my bit) but it is now tyne and wear and comes under the city of sunderland, a bit confusing really
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am asked to say 'why aye man' sometimes, it's quite funny though. :p:
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whickham if you've heard of it!
Yay! I love Whickham.
(you can guess where I come from) :p:
DamnitJanet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to have a bit of a geordie accent and when I moved to Scotland everyone used to get me to say "why aye man" and "burger" for some reason o.0
They used to laugh at me trying to say loch as well.
I don't suppose anyone here is from Cramlington? xD
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah Gateshead town itself is horrible. I only ever use it for the bus terminal and metro. Don't know much about Gateshead council coz I don't live within it :P Didn't a lot of places used to be classed as being in County Durham though? And I can't for the life of me think of what area the rural west is!
The rural west? The western part of the borough near the Northumberland border which, as it borders Tynedale and is situtaed in countryside, so is rural/semi-rural :p:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...49689&t=h&z=13

From Ryton to Crawcrook and then south to Rowlands Gill

Gateshead council like to brag about how 60% of "Gateshead" is countryside but fail to mention the number of landfill sites, quarrys and waste incinerators and then investing all the money they make into the town itself.They're corrupt scum.

Yes, the good old days of County Durham. All of South Tyneside, Gateshead and Sunderland was C. Durham but, in the 1970s, cut out and made into Tyne and Wear. The days of the parish councils, before Tyne and Wear and GAteshead, were better :yep:
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im scottish and lived in Yorkshire for a while - I never understood why they said "Now then?" as a greeting, didn't make sense to me...

And I was sick of being asked to "say something scottish" lol, for god's sake, and we don't all wear kilts on a daily basis so no need to ask!
LauyPauy
Report 10 years ago
would have been easier is my part of washington was county durham. i live right near the border and went to school in county durham as it was better than the feed in school i would have been lumbered with. consequently due to the border i am in a different area for uni stuff with the council, had to pay more for bus fares and wasn't allowed to have a free bus pass 9had to collect all my tickets and add them up and send them to the council with a form to claim back 25%. before i could have said form i had to send them another form with why i had chosen that school. if they could see a good reason why i could have gone somewhere else than i would have gotten no money back at all!)
Kizz91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A geordie accent on a bloke os incredibly sexy not so much on women though...
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I personally think they should do away with Tyne and Wear (and all other 1970s metropolitan counties). The councils of these counties are long gone so the counties only exist for ceremonial purposes. I hate putting my county as Tyne and Wear (I usually lie and put Northumberland - I live on the border). Saying County Durham is accepeted, by the Royal Mail anyway.
LauyPauy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I personally think they should do away with Tyne and Wear (and all other 1970s metropolitan counties). The councils of these counties are long gone so the counties only exist for ceremonial purposes. I hate putting my county as Tyne and Wear (I usually lie and put Northumberland - I live on the border). Saying County Durham is accepeted, by the Royal Mail anyway.
don't mind putting tyne and wear as i only really know my family who do so it's a bit special (that's utter crap isn't it?)

back to accent - hate it when people with geordie accents are put on shows like Jeremy Kyle as it makes them and everyone else sound thick - we are not all like that, only if you come from certain areas (won't mention where as may get abuse)
lolimemma
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LauyPauy)
yeah gateshead is a bit crap - but bus station is nice though!
i live in washington, one of the most nondiscript areas ever - part of it used to be county durham (my bit) but it is now tyne and wear and comes under the city of sunderland, a bit confusing really
Where i live has that sort of situation too! Its actually in County Durham but has a TS (Teeside) postcode and is classed as Cleveland. Ahhhh!

(Original post by Electric_Dreams)
Yay! I love Whickham.
(you can guess where I come from) :p:
Haha it's a really nice place! Was there yesterday actually :P
acelib82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Don't be a snob; it's not a big deal. :p:
It's not about being a snob, it's just about wishing people would get it right. I mean I live in a town miles and miles away from Newcastle, hoe does that make me a Geordie?. I am just from the North-East, but not everyone from this area is close to Newcastle. And you just think, I wish people would get it right :rolleyes:...
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*sighs* Irish accent, :love:
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you have Ant & Dec...how could you even ASK?? lol
geordieboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I live in the Bay too!

A fine example of the Geordie accent in full throttle has to be Ray Hudson http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7gu-7WXvI

Pure Nutter!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads