Turn on thread page Beta

The film "The Terminal" offensive drivel? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    That's an awful lot of bold claims considering the general consensus says otherwise.
    The general consensus gives it a 7 (IMDb.) That's not terrible by any standards.

It's a masterpiece. I suggest you watch it again with an open mind. It's a pretty amazing movie, the environments are mind blowing.

ReputationRep:
    And The Dark Knight was top for a while, I don't consider IMDB the general consensus because any moron can vote.

I haven't seen it, I'm not dismissing it myself, I'm just saying that most reviews seem to say otherwise because 'masterpiece' should not be banded about like it often seems to be.

Just seems odd.

Films that are real masterpieces have always got universal acclaim and are regarded as such.

ReputationRep:
    You try learning a foreign language from scratch. English is very different to their cyrillic alphabet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    The film was based on the Iranian refugee Mehran Karimi Nasseri who was denied refuge in France and subsquently spent many years living at the airport. Yet I'm pretty sure he did not behave in the manner that the character portrayed in The Terminal did, I believe he behaved as a normal sane person.
    I'm pretty sure 'normal sane people' don't live in airports...

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought it was really good film.

But then again, I'm not the type of person that watches film, hoping to pick up on some kind of injustice that is shown, and getting myself all riled up about it. :rolleyes: (Anyone remember the dark knight: anti chinese thread? :rofl:)

ReputationRep:
    I think the terminal was taken from a real-life story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I actually thought it was really good film.

But then again, I'm not the type of person that watches film, hoping to pick up on some kind of injustice that is shown, and getting myself all riled up about it. :rolleyes: (Anyone remember the dark knight: anti chinese thread? :rofl:)
    Thing is, they depicted him as mentally disabled in the movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Thing is, they depicted him as mentally disabled in the movie.
    No they didn't - they showed him as a man who didn't speak english so couldn't understand the situation properly.

He learnt english from magazines in way less than a year - not very mentally disabled.

As I said he also built a fountain, used the trolleys to pay for food and avoided all the boss man's tricks. All things he wouldn't have managed if he was mentally disabled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    No they didn't - they showed him as a man who didn't speak english so couldn't understand the situation properly.

He learnt english from magazines in way less than a year - not very mentally disabled.

As I said he also built a fountain, used the trolleys to pay for food and avoided all the boss man's tricks. All things he wouldn't have managed if he was mentally disabled.
    Go and take a deeper look at the mannerisms of Hanks' acting. Maybe Hanks looked mentally disabled, I don't know, but the element of disability was definitely visible in there as I watched it with a group of people and all of them complained about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Go and take a deeper look at the mannerisms of Hanks' acting. Maybe Hanks looked mentally disabled, I don't know, but the element of disability was definitely visible in there as I watched it with a group of people and all of them complained about that.
    His mannerisms might be similar to a disabled person but a) this could just be bad acting. The writers clearly didn't want him to appear disabled or they wouldn't have included him doing so many very clever things b) The people you watched with are clearly oversensitive.

All hanks did was use a questioning tone (which you would use if you didn't understand fully what people were saying in a language your not a native speaker of) and gestured with his hands a lot (which speakers of other some languages do a lot - Italians for example). Yes he might have over done these 2 things a bit but that doesn't mean he was trying to make the character look disabled, it doesn't mean the writers wanted him to and it doesn't outweigh all the intelligent things the character does.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.