SCO noob!
I thought Russia was in that.
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes and china...

NATO really has no valid reason to exist post cold war. Their are other channels of international cooperation, that will not just alienate Russia...
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jaager)
yes and china...
If Russia's in it, it can't really be China's "dog", can it? Or are you admitting that Russia still isn't a real contender on the world stage?

Oops
Varsity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
If Russia's in it, it can't really be China's "dog", can it? Or are you admitting that Russia still isn't a real contender on the world stage?

Oops
RFL

Russia needs to get used to the fact its going to be playing second fiddle to China very soon.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Varsity)
Russia needs to get used to the fact its going to be playing second fiddle to China very soon.
Yeah, but it's too busy trying to re-run the Twentieth Century to notice reality. The old saying about "preparing for the previous war" holds true even for Cold ones.

And to be honest, I think I'd take China over Russia at the moment. It's not a choice I'd ever want to have to make, but let's face it: China is moving forwards, while Russia is moving backwards.
Varsity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
let's face it: China is moving forwards, while Russia is moving backwards.
Be very interesting to see them pass each other by. When China surpassed Russia, its going to be a cold day in Moscow.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Be very interesting to see them pass each other by. When China surpassed Russia, its going to be a cold day in Moscow.
Don't underestimate the power of denial. Although actually I meant morally, rather than economically.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, but it's too busy trying to re-run the Twentieth Century to notice reality. The old saying about "preparing for the previous war" holds true even for Cold ones.

And to be honest, I think I'd take China over Russia at the moment. It's not a choice I'd ever want to have to make, but let's face it: China is moving forwards, while Russia is moving backwards.
Russia tries to look like a democracy and tries it's best to respect human rights (but c'mon, even I want to kill some reporters)...China? Nice one. Me and you are coming to a very interesting debate.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Canada?
Indeed. Canada has been living off the USA since the 2nd world war - its military funding (at only about 1% of GDP) is an absolute joke and takes full advantage of the fact that their only border is with the USA to the south. Its not that long since the US was openly criticising Canada over this fact and requesting/demanding that they regrow some kind of manhood.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes and china...

NATO really has no valid reason to exist post cold war. Their are other channels of international cooperation, that will not just alienate Russia...
A liberal, democratic, free Russia intent to be a part of the civilised world order would not have any reason to be alienated by a military alliance made up of the liberal, democratic free nations of the world. Unfortunately Russia is an authoritarian state run by ex Soviet dictators and determined upon a return to something resembling empire. Russia has no more rational reason to be alienated by NATO or American power than does France or the UK or Poland or the Ukraine or any of the other European powers who once had empires and, in the case of the UK, was far more powerful and had far larger "spheres of influence" than Russia itself has ever been and probably ever will be. Blaming NATO/the West/the USA for Russias pathetic warmongering paranoia and ego stroking is akin to blaming the comparatively sane for the murderous nature of a schizophrenic psychopath.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Indeed. Canada has been living off the USA since the 2nd world war - its military funding (at only about 1% of GDP) is an absolute joke and takes full advantage of the fact that their only border is with the USA to the south. Its not that long since the US was openly criticising Canada over this fact and requesting/demanding that they regrow some kind of manhood.
We don't need manhood we got universal health care and affordable post-secondary education!
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
RFL

It already is. Russia is not a superpower and it only just qualifies as a "great power" (thanks purely to its oil and gas) on the same level as the UK or France. It is distinguished only by the willingness of its ruling regime to use late 19th century/early 20th century military means to achieve its ends while the other former imperial powers have grown up.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KayleeLand)
The whole world is America's female dog!
I was so going to make that reference, but I guess it's more fitting if it is done by a girl. :rolleyes:
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)
We don't need manhood we got universal health care and affordable post-secondary education!
Which will do you a whole lot of good when countries who arent dependent upon their neighbours for muscle decide to ignore Canada when it comes to territorial claims and whatever.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which will do you a whole lot of good when countries who arent dependent upon their neighbours for muscle decide to ignore Canada when it comes to territorial claims and whatever.
Lolz, I don't care about Canada that much. I am a so-called "economic immigrant."
Jaager
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A liberal, democratic, free Russia intent to be a part of the civilised world order would not have any reason to be alienated by a military alliance made up of the liberal, democratic free nations of the world. .
yeh, because countries like the US are definatly paragons of virtue and freedom... Did you forget McCarthy, Forced Sterilisations, Unamerican Activities, The Patriot act, Vietnam War, watergate, Iran Contra, Gulf War 1, the fact that G.W. Bush didnt even win the popular vote, the Invasion Of Iraq & Afghanistan, Guantanimo bay, Abughaib prison, Hadifa, Extra Ordinary rendition, Torture. And before that, Segrigation, Genocide, Racial laws, lynchings.... The US constitution...:rolleyes:

But no, modern Russia's more evil... Wait how many countries has the Russian Federation Invaded?.... those warmongering imperialist B**tards :rolleyes:
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh, because countries like the US are definatly paragons of virtue and freedom... Did you forget McCarthy, Forced Sterilisations, Unamerican Activities, The Patriot act, Vietnam War, watergate, Iran Contra, Gulf War 1, the fact that G.W. Bush didnt even win the popular vote, the Invasion Of Iraq & Afghanistan, Guantanimo bay, Abughaib prison, Hadifa, Extra Ordinary rendition, Torture. And before that, Segrigation, Genocide, Racial laws, lynchings....
And what was Russia doing all through the Cold War? Oh, yes, that's right, sending dissidents to their deaths in Siberia and murdering Jews.
The US constitution...:rolleyes:
What's your objection to the Constitution?
But no, modern Russia's more evil... Wait how many countries has the Russian Federation Invaded?.... those warmongering imperialist B**tards :rolleyes:
Well, if we're actually using fair goalposts rather than your own principle of judging Russia on the last seventeen years and America on the last sixty-three, then I make it four - five if you count South Korea. And two of those were supposedly its allies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads