Accommodation: Northenhay House... Watch

jess079
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Hey city_chic, thankyou for that.
I will have another think because I really do not want to share but I'm pretty sure I'll so Lopes hall.
Good luck!
CocoBean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hannia)
Yeah its not even enhanced.
The lady on the phone said that the Standard was the same as Exeters Enhanced
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CocoBean)
The lady on the phone said that the Standard was the same as Exeters Enhanced

thats correct.
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jess079)
Hey city_chic, thankyou for that.
I will have another think because I really do not want to share but I'm pretty sure I'll so Lopes hall.
Good luck!
No prob. I was mainly trying to reassure myself haha! Yeah, I really don't want to share either... I don't think it's fair for the price really.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hannia)
Okay thankyou so much for your help! I have decided (i think!!) that i would prefer to live on campus and caterd so tht means the shared option. I have been given 3 different halls: Lopes, Hope and Kilmorie. Which out of those is nicest? The shared for lopes is in the main house bit and in hope it is in kilmorie orst germans.
I would honestly pick any of those. I've had friends in Kilmorie myself, have stayed one night in Hope, and Lopes main has bags of character (actually, they all do!).

(Original post by city_chic)
I've just received the same e-mail... Argh, I'm so annoyed. I just had to be one of the unlucky ones to not get any of their choices =/

I originally applied for catered, but I really don't want to share a room, so I'm thinking I'll have to go self-catered =/ I really don't know how to cook though, and the whole reason I decided to go catered was so I could be assured I'd at least be eating well... ergh. I really am disappointed. And plus I really wanted an en-suite, but now I can't even go enhanced, arghh =|
Hi R

Don't be disappointed - in fact you'll probably eat better in self-catered, honestly! I'll send you my recipe book that I've put together recently. Fear not

(Original post by CocoBean)
As quoted from the e-mail:

"A shared room in STANDARD catered accommodation for 31 weeks at £98.28 per week.

A single room in STANDARD self-catered accommodation at Northernhay House for 44 weeks at £79.00 per week.(Contract will be with UNITE for this residence - further details about this property are available through our website)"

I suppose this makes the self-catered accom much better value for money!
As I thought then.
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Hi R

Don't be disappointed - in fact you'll probably eat better in self-catered, honestly! I'll send you my recipe book that I've put together recently. Fear not
Thanks for the reassurance. Oh wow, would you? I'd be SO grateful! I have just under four weeks to get my act together and learn how to cook efficiently... lol.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's no problem Is your email address on your fb?
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
That's no problem Is your email address on your fb?
Yep, that's my hotmail address. Thanks!
angelofmusic101
Report 10 years ago
seriously guys, don't worry! I applied for the 3 on campus self-catered and was offered Northfield..which, although looks very nice, was like another 2 grand a year! so i rang them telling them i can't afford it so they gave me a choice between standard lafrowda or Northernhay standard (which is just as good as any "enhanced") and told me i had to make a decision by the end of the day..so I went to see both of them today..now i don't know whether its because I saw lafrowda first (think swedish prison cell lol..nah its not that bad but the kitchen in tiiiiiny considering you're sharing with 11 people!!), but Northernhay is sooooo nice! and despite it being off campus it couldn't be in a better location for the shops/nightclubs etc!! It is clean, roomy, light and quite modern..plus the manager there (who showed us round) is really nice having asked her a load of questions, i found out that smoking is permitted in rooms but generally not in communal areas (unless everyone is happy about it), it still feels like uni coz you're still surrounded by undergrads!, its not that far from campus really, they take you on a "city tour" (aka pub crawl ) on the first night to get to know everyone, and apart from not being "on campus" it is no different really to anywhere else on campus (except they don't have their own bar-but theres plenty to choose from in town!!..and ur still welcome in other accom bars/nightclubs!)..with regards to cooking, i can't cook lol! But i figure when's a better time to start learning if it isn't at uni?! so if you're not happy sharing, don't! This really isn't a bad alternative!-I'm actually really excited about it now hope this helps (from a soon to be undergrad also!) and maybe some of you will be my neighbours x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who showed you round? Was it stuart? He's a legend
angelofmusic101
Report 10 years ago
Jo I believe..seemed sweet lol-very helpful anyway! (better than the witch at lafrowda!!) are u in ur 2nd yr now then? x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Jo? Either my memory has completely gone, or shes new. Last year Stuart was the Hospitality manager, and Gill was the Receptionist.

Yup, gonna be a 2nd year
angelofmusic101
Report 10 years ago
lol I met Gill as well..but this woman definately said Jo-shes a bit dippy but seems sweet! Didn't see any guys there..but then again, I've only been today..I'm sure she said she was the manager though..ah well..what are you studying? x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by angelofmusic101)
what are you studying? x
Accounting and Finance, what about you?
angelofmusic101
Report 10 years ago
arabic lol-so right at the top of "cardiac hill"..yay(?!) so did you have a good time at northenhay then? you didn't feel too excluded from the rest of the uni? how many people were in your flat? x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol, you get used to the hills. You shouldn't have to walk up Cardiac Hill for that, just go along Pennsylvania road, follow it round to the uni, past streatham court, up that hill past Peter Chalk centre and you're there. Misses out the biggest hills that way!

Yeah Nothernhay was good. Definatly not excluded from the rest of the uni. Once you tell people you live next to Firehouse and Timepiece they will be amazed. Flats were all different sizes from 3-6 people. Mine was 5 people.
angelofmusic101
Report 10 years ago
oo really! awsome thanks -Jo said that I should talk to some of last year students to discover any short-cuts lol

haha you suddenly make a load of friends at 3 am who live on campus and dont fancy crawling home then ..when ur not in the clubs any specific eve, can u hear them at all? is the area particularly noisy round there bein in the town centre? x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol, yeah lots of "friends" that "don't want to walk home" :p:

Nah they're not very loud, I lived on the side closest to timepiece and its nothing that will stop you sleeping. Once a week the restaurant across the road emptied its empty wine bottles into a bin which was quite loud. Nothing that lasted more than 10minutes though. My mate who lived closest to Firehouse said they did that every night around 1am. But you get used to that!
lmcorr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by angelofmusic101)
better than the witch at lafrowda!!
Ah, I see you have had the pleasure of dealing with the Self Catering office.
Sephrenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If shes who I'm thinking of (office at the top of Cardiac Hill?) She told me to take down the material on my noticeboard, but allowed someone else to keep theirs up...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads