Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannibal Smith)
    My advice? Go on, get married!:woo:

But they're our rules - don't like it? Don't join - simple as.

I don't have a problem with the rules. I could have just followed my partner around the country finding nursing jobs wherever he is posted but i WANT to nurse in the RAF and that comes before the convenience of socialsing together. We will probably end up living out anyway.

BUT YEAH... BETTER GET DRESS SHOPPING
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Slight side issue, but maybe not. Co-location? Presumably an Officer/Air(wo)man in a relationship would not be co-located, being as such relationships usually lead to a 24 hour posting for the Officer concerned? Or have things changed in the last few years?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but they've changed.

There is now a thing called the Service Test. Providing that the relationship does not bring the Service into disrepute and is outside the chain of command, it's OK.

Now for co-located postings - if you can get officer manning to talk to airman manning, you're doing well!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Goodness - a glimmer of the 20th century?

ReputationRep:
    to be honest we arent really wanting the same bases. especially while im a JR! Ive only got a choice of three anyway and only one of them is on an RAF base. (well, theres Akrotiri aswell actually!) I suppose we wouldnt mind beoing co-located there. but hopefully ill have my commission by then.

i cannot wait to start RTS now. i am getting very impatient. Prob in *12-13 weeks time.

Ps. Hannibal; what happens if you start RTS in December? Do you get weeks off for Xmas/New Year? Are they counted as your actual holidays or are they additional ones that couldn't be prevented??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Who have you spoken to? We have a few unmarried friends without families living in quarters. It does very much depend on the base, the amount of quarters available and the demand for them.
    also are they the service persons children and in the case of chaps noted on the birth certificate as the father ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    He will find out in Nov re first posting. I got my pin number through today so im abut to phone the AFCO! (i should be starting Nov*)

to be honest, if i can never go into the mess i dont actually care that much. ill have my own. but if i can then grand!
    alternative being work in the civ sector for 2 years and apply then as direct officer entry, as commissioning fro mthe ranks even as a nurse may be harder...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Goodness - a glimmer of the 20th century?
    Only a glimmer, and 8 years late...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    alternative being work in the civ sector for 2 years and apply then as direct officer entry, as commissioning fro mthe ranks even as a nurse may be harder...
    I was told at my interview that it was harder if you werent in. Civvy street - not for me! I'll wait!

x

ReputationRep:
    I was told at my interview that it was harder if you werent in. Civvy street - not for me! I'll wait!

x
    Not to be cynical but if your a recruiter who desperately needs nurses wouldn't you tell them the same?

Just a though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis07)
    Not to be cynical but if your a recruiter who desperately needs nurses wouldn't you tell them the same?

Just a though...

lots of people who apply for Officer Entry would never apply for OR entry,

you commission an OR you don't gain as a service, you commission a civvie often with a lot more than 2 years experience and a lot more management experience i.e. actually shift leading and managing a team .... and potentially as coursed up or more so than the OR nurse with 2 years experience...

ReputationRep:
    to be honest we arent really wanting the same bases. especially while im a JR! Ive only got a choice of three anyway and only one of them is on an RAF base. (well, theres Akrotiri aswell actually!) I suppose we wouldnt mind beoing co-located there. but hopefully ill have my commission by then.

i cannot wait to start RTS now. i am getting very impatient. Prob in *12-13 weeks time.

Ps. Hannibal; what happens if you start RTS in December? Do you get weeks off for Xmas/New Year? Are they counted as your actual holidays or are they additional ones that couldn't be prevented??
    Not sure about RTS but during IOT there are breaks between terms which come out of your annual leave and some of the xmas/new year and summer stand down comes out of annual leave (some days are bank/public holidays).

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess it's the same (but without a summer stand down)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis07)

Just a though...

Me personally, no, i don't lie. But i can see your point. I am happy going in as a JR and really looking forward to it. Im more interested in doing another degree (nursing) or masters pre-commission anyway so i wont be applying for it for a while yet!

I'd have to say that in my experience, NQ nurses with 2 years experience struggle to even do their IV training by year 2, never mind manage properly!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a 2 week gap over christmas for RTS, bit rubbish if you get that as you're then going to have to maintain your fitness and drills and skills over those 2 weeks by yourself, but there you go. It probably will come out of your individual leave allowance, but either way it doesn't matter much, while you're in Phase II you just book blocks of leave when you're told to and even if you run out they just give you more.

If (as I believe is the case with nurses) you don't have a Phase II, not sure but you may just have to put up with the fact you'll only have 4 weeks left that year. Pretty sure the leave year ends/re-starts 1st April anyway so you'll go back up to 6 weeks soon as April comes around (though don't take that as gospel, my GSK has slipped a bit).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks AC Bloggs. I imagined it would come out of the holiday allowance but wondered if anyone knew for sure. Your right, nurses dont have phase II so it'll be straight to work. I dont have my dates yet. I should have them in the next 5 weeks or so when my registration comes through and everything is finalised. But it looks like it might be the end of November, latest beginning of december.

ReputationRep:
    If you get to RTS by Dec (last cse start before Christmas is 10 Dec) you will be on block leave from 20 Dec until 4 Jan (go home after work on Fri 19 and be back in by 1830 on 4 Jan) a total of 15 days. The period will include 3 x weekends (6 days), and 3 days bank holiday. The airships will possibly bung in a couple of days 'stand-down', so the break will possibly cost you 3-4 days annual leave at the most. That is unless you want to come and sit in an empty barrack block!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Hannibal! Thanks for that. I knew you'd have the answer!! Your input on TSR is great! If i knew how to give rep i would. haha!

Well whether i start at the end of Nov or beginning of december, thats definatey gonna be me then! 3-4 days is not bad at all.

Isn't it harder for the recruits to bond etc when there is a break like that?

x

ReputationRep:
    Haha, i start on 12th November and i'm actually really pleased we get that long off... I'm in the
    Police at the moment and was due to be on late shifts ALL christmas! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Me personally, no, i don't lie. But i can see your point. I am happy going in as a JR and really looking forward to it. Im more interested in doing another degree (nursing) or masters pre-commission anyway so i wont be applying for it for a while yet!

I'd have to say that in my experience, NQ nurses with 2 years experience struggle to even do their IV training by year 2, never mind manage properly!!
    2 years post qualifying ?

ALS provider, all apsects of peripheral IV trained (access as well as admin and phlebotomy), triage trained (including PGDs), regularly managing a resus room, doing suturing, POP application, undertaking bronze manager roles on event work ....

all about finding the right jobs etc etc...

my volunteer role with SJA gives me band 7 or more experience at times (silver level roles) even though i'm 'only' a senior staff nurse and working in band 5 or none 'navy blue' band 6 roles ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    2 years post qualifying ?

ALS provider, all apsects of peripheral IV trained (access as well as admin and phlebotomy), triage trained (including PGDs), regularly managing a resus room, doing suturing, POP application, undertaking bronze manager roles on event work ....

all about finding the right jobs etc etc...

my volunteer role with SJA gives me band 7 or more experience at times (silver level roles) even though i'm 'only' a senior staff nurse and working in band 5 or none 'navy blue' band 6 roles ...

Ohhhh.. thats exactly the sort of nurse i aspire to be. Good for you getting all that under your belt. You obviously didnt get your post-qualifying experince in the wards in Glasgow! haha!!

I am guessing :p: that you work in A&E and in my experience (which was all i had stated before, i wasnt saying you can't do a lot in 2 years) A&E tend to fire you through IV/Phleb training etc, whereas in the wards ive been in, and im talking over 20 here, you are lucky if you are even booked onto an IV course at the 1.5 year point!

ALS provider - I would like to do that as soon as i can. My dad is an ALS examiner so i want to do it whilst i can get extra tuition lol.

Where do you work ZippyRN? Are you serving?

x

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.