Uefa Player of the Year Awards. Watch

TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IMO.

Best midfielder should not have been Lampard, should have been Ronaldo.
Best forward should have been Luca Toni.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gunners r us)
ronaldo was a forward because he played most games as a lone striker with rooney on the wings !
didn't you guys watch the matches?
Fail. He played against Barca up front and away in Rome, majority were in midfield.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mm, not most matches. Both the games against Barcelona, he played as a lone forward with Carlos Tevez behind. Other than that, I can't think when he played alone up top.
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Messi and Ronaldo in forward positions? Weird.

Ferdinand should easily have won the best defender. JT would never have restricted the Barcelona attack like he did.

Good English lad he is though, missing winning penalties and spitting at players, well done :yy:
TI-84
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barça)

Good English lad he is though, missing winning penalties and spitting at players, well done :yy:
:rofl:
Barça
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TBH only 1 Chelsea player could have won something, and that was Cech. Messi should have been in the midfielder category and snatched it from Lamps, then again so could have Ronaldo. Either way he got the MVP award.

Funny that the losers got more awards than the winners :rofl:
jamie_jme_brown
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n_251)
Where's Rio? Even Wes Brown was better than JT last season!

Lampard?! WTF is goin on there? And Cech?!

Come on! Abramovich obviously paid UEFA a few million!
omg omg
wes brown that is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard.
wes brown, john oshea and darren fletcher should be shot! they are so bad!

and yes frank shouldnt of got the award and JT hm... i can think of defenders that have had a better season.

i hate both manu and chelsea btw!
Explosions In The Sky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laevis)
How do you know what Rooney's true position is?

I don't think even SAF or Fabio Capello do tbh. In fact, SAF admitted he doesn't. He plays best when he's given unlimited freedom and roams all around the field rather than in a true position.

And Rooney played more as a wing forward and sometimes striker rather than as a left sided midfielder.

As incompetent as UEFA are, they got this one right (i.e. classing Ronaldo as a striker)
Bad diction on my part. Rooney's recognised position at the mo is up top and over the course of the game he tends to drop off and play right behind the striker. Whenever Ronaldo played up (Just Roma & Barca away iirc) front Fergie pushed Rooney to play on the left of midfield and he did more defending then attacking (thus why Fergie said he was always willing to sacrifice himself for the team) so I wouldn't really have classed him as a wing forward.

Over the course of the CL Ronaldo played most matches on the right wing and Rooney up front for most but from the knockout stages both didn't really have a set position so it doesn't make sense for me for UEFA to class Ronaldo and Rooney as forwards. Either both in their recognised positions or Ronaldo as a forward and Rooney not.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fair enough. I guess it's going to be difficult for them and it's ultimately going to be a bit subjective. Some strikers, such as Dirk Kuyt for the first half of last season, spend more time in their own half despite being deployed as a striker, yet you wouldn't say he's a defender. Well, RobbieC would, but that's a special case :teeth:
n_251
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamie_jme_brown)
omg omg
wes brown that is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard.
wes brown, john oshea and darren fletcher should be shot! they are so bad!

and yes frank shouldnt of got the award and JT hm... i can think of defenders that have had a better season.

i hate both manu and chelsea btw!
I shall agree with you on Fletcher and O'Shea, even though I am a United fan myself.

But, Wes Brown has improved beyond recognition over the past two seasons and, as such, cannot be put in the same group as Fletcher and O'Shea.

Though, I must say Fletcher has saved United's backsides on a number of occasions, although he has often dug a huge hole for United too so I guess that evens things out.

As regards to O'Shea, I used to like him when he first came about but now he's used in midfield I think he's a load of crap (apart from that goal in injury time against Liverpool ).
gozatron
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What happened here? Did Roman bribe these awards?

Rio or Vida should have been a shoe in for Defender of the year, no chelsea fan could doubt that. Lampard was a complete average player this year. Cech, fair enough.

In Summary: Terry fell over - Award
Lampard's mum died - Award

Ronaldo - 1 Down, 2 to go.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
Messi and Ronaldo in forward positions? Weird.

Ferdinand should easily have won the best defender. JT would never have restricted the Barcelona attack like he did.

Fabregas taught him well.
Van der Zak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cech and Terry did not deserve the award they recieved IMO.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
Funny that the losers got more awards than the winners :rofl:
Probably because of the self-imposed handicap of having a clueless manager. It's like going to a comprehensive school with a 10% rate of A-C at 'A' levels and achieving ABB compared to another who went to a fee paying school with a 95% rate and achieving AAAA.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cech did. Terry didn't.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Lampard's award might have been given an extra boost because his mum died. It's a well known fact that people's reputation are strengthened if they die or someone close to them does.
Van der Zak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry I don't buy that. Van der Sar has been more vital for us in the champions league for us last season. Notably against Sporting Lisbon, Roma, Barca, Chelsea (in the final).
jamie_jme_brown
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gozatron)
What happened here? Did Roman bribe these awards?

Rio or Vida should have been a shoe in for Defender of the year, no chelsea fan could doubt that. Lampard was a complete average player this year. Cech, fair enough.

In Summary: Terry fell over - Award
Lampard's mum died - Award

Ronaldo - 1 Down, 2 to go.
oi mate thats harsh!! v harsh!

oh and you think its easy to lose a mother nd then play one of the bigeest games of your life!!!!

JT slipped but he has been best defender in prem wiv rio for lst 2 season hence why he is england captain (not only reason)!

i hate chelsea but i can respect players for things which i can see you can;t:no:
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamie_jme_brown)
oi mate thats harsh!! v harsh!

oh and you think its easy to lose a mother nd then play one of the bigeest games of your life!!!!

JT slipped but he has been best defender in prem wiv rio for lst 2 season hence why he is england captain (not only reason)!

i hate chelsea but i can respect players for things which i can see you can;t:no:
Give up football please.
manc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Giz)
Personally I don't think that the Chelsea players didn't deserve any of these awards. Ronaldo the only deserved wwinner here.
I would've given them to;
Casillas - Goalkeeper
Ferdinand - Defender
Fabregas - Midfielder
Ronaldo - Foward
My choices exactly. Not sure about Ronaldo being a forward though....

Nominations for the forwards... Drogba? Rooney? wtf

God I hate Terry. Average player earning top money. Reminds me of a van-driving union leader. Talentless mouthy ****.

Lampard midfielder of the year? Essien did more than him. If he went to Inter they'd hate him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (147)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (172)
53.92%

Watched Threads