Overtaking Watch

The Hitchhiker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
Please elaborate how this is important here and not in other countries where they are not allowed to overtake.

Rubbish, not when you get all the cars into lane 3 because lane 2 has a lorry overtaking at 56 mph
Owing to the drivers having Tacho cards they have a strictly limited time for which they can drive. Four and a half hours and then a compulsory 45 min break. If they arive a minuite behnd schedule and have to have a break down the road from the depo, it costs them money.
Tofufi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But when you filter in all the factors you get in a tail, like people not keeping a decent distance and pressing the brake pedal every 5 seconds, this brake light gets passed down the line and then it just screws up even if you are keeping a gap at the end. You need to keep making alterations.
But none of these things are the fault of the lorry drivers. They are the fault of bad (and mostly impatient) drivers behind the lorries.
M15T3R CH4RL35
Report 10 years ago
Driving at ~56mph gives around 30% better mpg than at 75mph.

So you should thank the lorry driver for turning 4 minutes of travelling (about 3.7miles) into 1.1 extra free miles of journey - If you are a member of the green party.

Perhaps that's it, those that overtake are really environmentalists that want to stop 80+mph hooligans melting the ice caps. Maybe Not.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
Which countries can lorries not overtake in? I know that in lots of western and central Europe, lorry drivers often overtake in 2 lane carriage ways. Italian roads especially are renowned for the issue.

I just think you have to relax on the roads. Lorry drivers will always pull out, or do something to annoy you, why worry? It'll only cause problems. I assume you (in particular) are in a comfortable car, why not sit back and enjoy it...
Sorry I didn't mean countries didn't allow lorries to overtake orther lorries full stop.

I meant some parts of the motorways like 2 lanes are restricted to not allowing lorries to overtake. Saw it in France, Germany, some parts of Switzerland.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the act you've described should be banned. Actually, while these lazy ****ers are at it, they should ban old people as well... or at least get them to retake their test every year.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tofufi)
But none of these things are the fault of the lorry drivers. They are the fault of bad (and mostly impatient) drivers behind the lorries.
Why is the tail there? The lorry faffing about.

(Original post by The Hitchhiker)
Owing to the drivers having Tacho cards they have a strictly limited time for which they can drive. Four and a half hours and then a compulsory 45 min break. If they arive a minuite behnd schedule and have to have a break down the road from the depo, it costs them money.
Advance planning with a bit of maths can sort that out, isn't exactly rocket science is it.
Youngs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gosh, if you read carefully I say one lorry and this doesn't really tend to be the case on 2 lane roads, what do you do if 3 -4 lorries are overtaking, we are looking at around 15 mins of faffing about...oh how stressful when you right at the end of a tail and you still have lorries approaching in lane 1

Even if we are looking at 15 minutes of faffing in an hour, which is unlikely anyway that still isn't much difference to your journey time.

You aren't at a standstill for those 15 minutes, you are travelling at 56 mph so you travel 14 miles roughly. For the rest of the time you are driving at the speed limit of 70 mph, so you travel 52.5 miles roughly. This means you, in total, travled 66.5 miles in a hour, near enough the speed limit.

Just chillax and wait for the lorries to over take, it amazes me how driving can make people so impatient and worked up yet most drivers claim any other form of transport is 'just too stressfull'!
The Hitchhiker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is the tail there? The lorry faffing about.

Advance planning with a bit of maths can sort that out, isn't exactly rocket science is it.
f course they plan the route. But if some tosser in the outside lane spins his BMW and closes two lanes off... They need to make the most of what time they have got! Life at 56mph is frantic too.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
f course they plan the route. But if some tosser in the outside lane spins his BMW and closes two lanes off... They need to make the most of what time they have got! Life at 56mph is frantic too.

56mph on a motorway is where its at anyway...

you can NEVER plan a route anyway, as **** happens!!

Hi sweetie!! :p:
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
(Original post by Youngs)
You aren't at a standstill for those 15 minutes, you are travelling at 56 mph so you travel 14 miles roughly.
Umm no, if you are towards the back of the tail you can be anywhere between 20 and 40 . Due to people braking etc.

Then there isn't an issue with their schedule and they will be fine ......not a clue what the last part has to do with anything. You do actually realise I don't drive a BMW in England, well maybe 1 or 2 times a fortnight....

Why is it, does you car not get up to 56 ? Or when your car is at 56 if feels like 120 with all the road noise ...?
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
56mph on a motorway is where its at anyway...

you can NEVER plan a route anyway, as **** happens!!

Hi sweetie!! :p:
Oh right so you are to blame for lorries entering lane 2 to overtake those clapped out bangers I see in lane 1......

Or do you hog lane 2 :confused:

Which one is it?
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Umm no, if you are towards the back of the tail you can be anywhere between 20 and 40 . Due to people braking etc.

Then there isn't an issue with their schedule and they will be fine ......not a clue what the last part has to do with anything. [SIZE="1"]You do actually realise I don't drive a BMW in England, well maybe 1 or 2 times a fortnight....[/SIZE]

Why is it, does you car not get up to 56 ? Or when your car is at 56 if feels like 120 with all the road noise ...?

you do actually realise driving a bmw generally gives you the special **** licence?
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
you do actually realise driving a bmw generally gives you the special **** licence?
No that is an audi :rolleyes:

Times have changed

Ps - as does sitting doing 56 on a motorway ....
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh right so you are to blame for lorries entering lane 2 to overtake those clapped out bangers I see in lane 1......

Or do you hog lane 2 :confused:

Which one is it?

oh god no.ive driven down the motorway at 110mph before, i just save petrol and like having a stress free and calm journey
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No that is an audi :rolleyes:

Times have changed

Ps - as does sitting doing 56 on a motorway ....

audi's give you the **** licence..a bmw is that one step up, it automatically means you are branded a **** for your life, and have a small **** aswell...
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
oh god no.ive driven down the motorway at 110mph before, i just save petrol and like having a stress free and calm journey
Oh well done :rolleyes:

You can still have a stress free calm journey going at 70 mph :confused:

Or are you that bad
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
audi's give you the **** licence..a bmw is that one step up, it automatically means you are branded a **** for your life, and have a small **** aswell...
What car do you drive out of interest?
Youngs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Then that's down to impatient drivers and the volume of traffic rather than the lorries.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
(Original post by Youngs)
Then that's down to impatient drivers and the volume of traffic rather than the lorries.
Really, so a lorry blocking the lane right at the front has nothing to do with it :confused:
Youngs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really, so a lorry blocking the lane right at the front has nothing to do with it :confused:
Yes but if the volume of traffic wasn't there and impatient drivers weren't either you would be travelling at 56 mph, so whilst the lorry causes the initial 14 mph slowdown the rest of the traffic is the cause of the further slowing down to 20-40 mph.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise