Male linguists Watch

jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
It's rama. He doesn't tend to make much sense, or care about it.
pretz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rama why is your brain so broken?
username130457
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pretz)
Rama why is your brain so broken?
I'm a writer. Some respect; please. :sadnod:
Louisdf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my A-level class, there were 11 girls and 2 boys (including myself).And at AS level, there were 15 girls and just 2 boys!
Pollywollydoodle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The French exchange I went on had four boys and like 30 girls.

Of the boys, 2 were gay and 1 had a girlfriend.

The remaining guy was pretty lucky!
*Fool'sGold*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it tends to be French, Spanish and Italian that are female dominated.

Interestingly, I had no boys in my French class at A2, but I was the only girl in my German class. :p:
Pirouette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not a male linguist, obviously. I just popped in to say that in my A2 German class of nine, there are five boys and four girls. I was pretty surprised at that. Last year in a class of 14 there were six boys and eight girls... our teachers must have scared the girls away.
abu.10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think the same can be said about male dancers i guess
music is my girlfriend
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my A2 German class (yep, the manly language ;P) there are 5 girls and no boys.

There were two boys in our group last year, but they both dropped it...intimidated by the girls, perhaps?
Neither of them were gay though, as far as I know.

In last years A2 group there were about 6 boys and only 1 girl thought...strange.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
We all know that 'linguists' (and by linguists, I mean someone studying languages at degree level, or with the intention to, or at least being highly proficient in foreign languages) tend to be predominantly female. The statistics show that languages are more popular with women, and I've noticed it amongst many open days for languages. (For example Southampton, where I was one of about five guys there out of thirty people )

But has anyone else noticed a trend amongst male linguists? Specifically, that in my experience, many of them (or us, I should say :p: ) are gay? It seems to me that every other male linguist I meet is gay, or at least bisexual. Obviously, I've met straight male linguists, but on average, I'd expect about a 90:10 split, so a 50:50 split just seems ridiculous. I know that many of the male linguists on this forum are gay (myself included), and I was wondering whether you guys out there have noticed anything similar in real life. So, do you know any male linguists? If so, are they straight, gay? What do you think about this, and why do you think such a trend may exist?
I agree, many other male language students (who are actually good at the subject and are passionate about it) have tended to be gay, or at least I suspect they are. This was especially true when I went to Cambridge and Oxford open days when I applied for French and Spanish there, but not so much at SOAS for my Arabic application. Aren't gay minds supposed to be more creative?
Fischer
Report 10 years ago
you're right, actually. there's loads of gay guys on my course. never really thought about it before.... they aren't exactly in the majority, though. mmm.
srwences
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
We all know that 'linguists' (and by linguists, I mean someone studying languages at degree level, or with the intention to, or at least being highly proficient in foreign languages) tend to be predominantly female. The statistics show that languages are more popular with women, and I've noticed it amongst many open days for languages. (For example Southampton, where I was one of about five guys there out of thirty people )

But has anyone else noticed a trend amongst male linguists? Specifically, that in my experience, many of them (or us, I should say :p: ) are gay? It seems to me that every other male linguist I meet is gay, or at least bisexual. Obviously, I've met straight male linguists, but on average, I'd expect about a 90:10 split, so a 50:50 split just seems ridiculous. I know that many of the male linguists on this forum are gay (myself included), and I was wondering whether you guys out there have noticed anything similar in real life. So, do you know any male linguists? If so, are they straight, gay? What do you think about this, and why do you think such a trend may exist?
I'm a languages student (couldn't yet possibly qualify myself as a "linguist" because I don't speak any other language fluently - but that's another debate) and I'm not gay. I haven't really noticed this pattern at all either. Of the 4 "guys" who did French at AS in our class last year I'm quite certain we were all straight; although I would say there are question marks on one.

Perhaps, however, you'd be more likely to be on the look-out for gay lads than I would if you see what I mean. I think you're most definitely right that there is a split in terms of more females doing language courses but I'm yet to be convinved on your sexuality argument.

Incidentally, on your profile you talk about the difficulties you have with "Starbucks" and some of their recent dodgy use of apostrophes. However, surely the name in itself is missing an apostrophe.

I stand to be corrected, but isn't the full name of the store in question "Starbuck's Coffee"? Therefore, whenst shortened, should it not be "Starbuck's"? That's something that's bugged me for a while. Oddly enough, the only company that reliably uses apostrophes correctly in its name is "McDonald's".
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by srwences)
I'm a languages student (couldn't yet possibly qualify myself as a "linguist" because I don't speak any other language fluently - but that's another debate)

Incidentally, on your profile you talk about the difficulties you have with "Starbucks" and some of their recent dodgy use of apostrophes. However, surely the name in itself is missing an apostrophe.

I stand to be corrected, but isn't the full name of the store in question "Starbuck's Coffee"? Therefore, whenst shortened, should it not be "Starbuck's"? That's something that's bugged me for a while. Oddly enough, the only company that reliably uses apostrophes correctly in its name is "McDonald's".
I don't that that you have to be 'fluent' in another language to be considered a linguist - it's a very loose term to cover most language-students, but then again 'fluent' is also a loose term. I consider myself a linguist, as I'll be doing a languages degree, and it's my 'speciality' if you will.

As for McDonald's, the apostrophe is there to indicate possession. McDonald's was founded by **** and Mac McDonald, so it's sort of like the 'restaurant' belonging to the McDonald brothers. In which case, the pedant in me really thinks it should be McDonalds', because there are two brothers, and they're co-founders. But I guess that would get a lot of people scratching their heads :p:

Starbucks' name, however, isn't based on a founder's name - I don't know where the name comes from, but it wasn't founded by someone called Jimmy Starbuck or something like that, in which case an apostrophe would be necessary for the name.
username145063
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a linguist and i'm straight. But you're quite right, total female domination. I went to a Warwick offer holders open day thing and I reckon the ratio was 10:1 at least. And yeah a lot of the male linguists I met at my Oxford interviews were gay.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Women are more talkative than men so that could explain why we'd like to speak several languages :awesome: (to annoy more people, even foreigners :p:)
desmondmac
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it the languages themselves (French, Spanish etc) or the learning of languages that is best suited to women and, apparently, gay guys?

What about the french or spanish people that have had to learn English to a decent level...are the guys in that case predominantly gay too? Unlikely I guess.

Tis interesting...
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
Women are more talkative than men so that could explain why we'd like to speak several languages :awesome: (to annoy more people, even foreigners :p:)
:lies: Linguistic studies would contradict you:p: Women like talking more, but men seem to dominate in conversation the majority of the time.
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by desmondmac)
Is it the languages themselves (French, Spanish etc) or the learning of languages that is best suited to women and, apparently, gay guys?

What about the french or spanish people that have had to learn English to a decent level...are the guys in that case predominantly gay too? Unlikely I guess.

Tis interesting...
I think all arts' subjects are going to have their fair share of gay people. Science is seen as a more masculine subject. That said however, if we go on this stereotype, male arts' students may be more willing to show their campness than a gay science student, who may seem to be straight, yet be gay. I dunno...:p:
desmondmac
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
I think all arts' subjects are going to have their fair share of gay people. Science is seen as a more masculine subject. That said however, if we go on this stereotype, male arts' students may be more willing to show their campness than a gay science student, who may seem to be straight, yet be gay. I dunno...:p:
Hum. That's loaded with tooo many stereotypes methinks. Plus if the case is that Sciences are more masculine then surely it'd be in the interests of a gay science student to be surrounded by loadsa men.

I don't think it's an 'Arts' subject thing at all, many people are good at both and just prefer one to the other.
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by desmondmac)
Hum. That's loaded with tooo many stereotypes methinks. Plus if the case is that Sciences are more masculine then surely it'd be in the interests of a gay science student to be surrounded by loadsa men.

I don't think it's an 'Arts' subject thing at all, many people are good at both and just prefer one to the other.
This thread is full of stereotypes, though. If you read the thread thoroughly, you'll find that I've not said anything different to what a number of people have already said.

I understand what you're getting at. I don't have a scientific brain though, so I could never do a sciencey subject. I'm not gay, but I do prefer arts subjects. I'm not saying all those who are good at arts subjects are gay at all. I'm saying it might be the case that those who are gay and who do arts subjects/business-related subjects are probably more likely to show it, as there are more females who will love overtly camp people:p:

I'm not judging people though. That's not my intention at all. I suppose I'm hypothesising:p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?