McCain picks a female running mate! Watch

Ezekiel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
Excuse me? How does what you just said mean that women will unite against her? Regardless of the fact that she isn't a 'traditional housewife', women are likely to vote for because hell, she may be one of the most powerful global figures if McCain wins. She's only the second female VEEP ever, how can this turn women against the GOP?!
Obviously, I shouldn’t argue so generally, Clinton’s supporters largely women were not warming to Obama they were bitter. A significant proportion will be brought over to Obama after his speech I believe (and do most commentators). This selection is not of the kind that would even tempt Clinton supporters over (maybe the die hard’s, but they don’t matter). I’ve been watching fox, and Sarah Palin wants to abortionists hung dawn and quartered, OTT, obviously but that is how she will be portrayed, easily. If fox can do it in 10 min’s you can bet that the Obama campaign can get that across. Her line on abortion will alienate democrat/ independent women for sure. She is also against affirmative action for women. All of these little things will be played upon to stress the fact that she is “No Hillary Clinton” All the things you might think woman might warm to her over she is against lol.
The above is a positive if you are a republican, not if you are a democrat floater/ independent. It would seem McCain (who is regarded as a bit wishy washy on abortion) is trying to sure up his base support, which I thought was already behind him.

(Original post by ssk2)
You do realise that Palin is going for VEEP, not for President? Being VP for 4 years is excellent training for the full job. It’s not a position that you HAVE to be really experienced for
Most people think the VP is a huge powerful role, very important etc. She’s a traditional housewife, who’s not at home with her husband and her five children easily comparable to mumsy Michelle Obama and family orientated Biden. Again, how can McCain moan on about dangerous times when he’s selected somebody not up to dealing with dangerous times? Again, the VP isn’t that important but most people do not know that. I do take you point that I was a bit OTT, but if you wanted to hurt Obama it would have been far better to select a pretty southern boy to attract women (make them feel safe etc, the way Gordon Brown did last year when he had a huge lead, than Sarah)

Wrong, wrong wrong. McCain hasn't really attacked Obama's weak policy positions aside from brief clashes during the primaries. She is also not THAT untested... She won her campaign for governor against another Republican incumbent AND against a Democrat opponent who spent more money than her. That demonstrates massive amounts of political skill.

Yes, I get that, but why give the Democrats ammunition at all? Why not go for a tried and tested candidate, I don’t see how she is helping him in any other way than she’s a woman. And the fact that she is a woman makes it easier for the Democrats to unite behind Obama as she’s so different to Hilary. It is a democrat woman that appeals to weak democrats and independents not a Republican woman. It would have been better to select Condi Rice experienced African American woman that would have been a serious:O. It actually gives Hillary and Michelle to some extent an even greater attacking role than before. If anything were to happen to McCain she’d be in the top job. Also Biden will completely destroy her in the VP debate.

Nobody knows who this woman is, she’s marred in corruption, (according to fox I don’t know anything about it) But if they can use that sort of language it’s enough to tarnish her or at least cast doubt. Again this fits perfectly with Obama’s new politics and anti corruption vision. McCain has given Obama bullets to shoot him. Obama’s policy flip flopping, isn’t registering that much with the American public or they’d be going on it like with Kerry maybe they will. Yes Obama isn’t as experienced as many would like him to be, but he is as experienced as he ought to be and he is certainly capable. Most of those kind of attacks can be rebuffed by saying look at Clinton, they made the same claims, look at Kennedy they made the same claims. Clinton has supported Obama so has Kennedy’s family. The Obama isn’t up to it, is a little thin, they could have mounted a strong campaign against him had they selected a united experienced ticket that didn’t strengthen Obama surrogates and attack tactics.

A good looking god fearing young southern boy that’s what they should have gone for. This woman can be picked to bits and will be. The republicans only have 85 million Obama can raise that by sending out a text message.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Being a governor provides one with the same kind of executive experience one needs as a president; being a Senator does not. It's why 4 out of the last 5 presidents were governors first.
Do you not accept that people believe that the VP is some massive big important job? She's only been there one term... and erm McCains a Senator... they can hardly play that card too much lol. I just think Condi Rice would have been much much better if they had to have a woman or any young expereinced male.
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What a totally uninspiring choice. I bet that took all of 5 minutes deciding to go with the Republican member of congress whos the complete antithesis to him.

Its blatantly a token selection to get wide electoral support, it will be interesting to see if she can actually stand up to the scrutiny that will be placed upon her.

She is a bit of a **** though :hubba:
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ezekiel)
Do you not accept that people believe that the VP is some massive big important job? She's only been there one term... and erm McCains a Senator... they can hardly play that card too much lol. I just think Condi Rice would have been much much better if they had to have a woman or any young expereinced male.
People associate her with Bush is the issue.
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK Mccain attacks obama for: being too young, being too inexperiencienced in foreign policy and at the federal level and for being too unknown.

Then he goes and picks a VP whose: even younger, has NO federal experience, has NO foreign policy experience, is unknown outside her state, is the former mayor of a town of less than 9000 people and is under investigation by Alaska for firing a commissioner for (allegedly) refusing to fire her (the VP candidate's) ex brother in law (whose in a custody battle with the sister).

She is just about the worst person McCain could pick.

Edit: McCain thinks her being a woman will win over the Hilary fans who are dissapointed she didn't get nominated - what a fool. There's no way they will vote for somebody with a totally different manifesto just because his deputy is a woman.
Oh and she is governor now but there's no mention that I can find of her holding any other office betwen being mayor and being governor.
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm warming to the idea that it is a rather bad idea... Oh dear.
chidona
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SuperDaz)
She is a bit of a **** though :hubba:
Agreed.
Besides, I have a hunch that he just chose her to make a grab at the votes of the female swing voters that were left cold by Hillary's defeat - even if it does make him somewhat of a hypocrit on the whole 'experience' issue.

hmm. Will be interesting to see the Republican convention, at any rate.

And GM, you say that, but I wouldn't doubt that there are people who are so shallow and have such a limited grasp of politics that they'll elect based on gender, or colour. Heck, Tony Blair got in by a landslide partly due to his hip-new look that represented a renewed Britain; so you can't rule out the importance of aesthetics.
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The man can't even sell out a 12,000 capacity stadium when Obama was filling stadiums of about 85,000.
Meus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't understand why people are so confident that it'll draw women supporters. I can understand the argument for Hilary being able to draw woman supporters, but she has given her endorsement and support to Obama - which saw him have a 6% bounce up before his speech last night. Now Palin has arrived on the scene, and people are talking about women as if they're a flock of sheep running after any Sheppard that has a skirt on.

Although gender would be a sentimental factor, I'd like to hope Americans vote based not on reproduction organ, but on policies and views; so if women voters go for either Obama or McCain now, I'd like to think it was because of their political stances rather than how many women they have on their side.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She’s an ex beauty queen! It gets better and better lol... A republican dolly bird!
Meus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gm15)
OK Mccain attacks obama for: being too young, being too inexperiencienced in foreign policy and at the federal level and for being too unknown.

Then he goes and picks a VP whose: even younger, has NO federal experience, has NO foreign policy experience, is unknown outside her state, is the former mayor of a town of less than 9000 people and is under investigation by Alaska for firing a commissioner for (allegedly) refusing to fire her (the VP candidate's) ex brother in law (whose in a custody battle with the sister).

She is just about the worst person McCain could pick.

Edit: McCain thinks her being a woman will win over the Hilary fans who are dissapointed she didn't get nominated - what a fool. There's no way they will vote for somebody with a totally different manifesto just because his deputy is a woman.
Oh and she is governor now but there's no mention that I can find of her holding any other office betwen being mayor and being governor.
This is true, he may be a hypocrite but Obama's campaign cannot use this "lack of experience" against him otherwise it falls flat on their face with the Senator being blasted all the time, not neccessarily for his policies, but for his lack of experience. It'd be like a duck criticising another duck simply for being a duck!
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meus)
I don't understand why people are so confident that it'll draw women supporters. I can understand the argument for Hilary being able to draw woman supporters, but she has given her endorsement and support to Obama - which saw him have a 6% bounce up before his speech last night. Now Palin has arrived on the scene, and people are talking about women as if they're a flock of sheep running after any Sheppard that has a skirt on.

Although gender would be a sentimental factor, I'd like to hope Americans vote based not on reproduction organ, but on policies and views; so if women voters go for either Obama or McCain now, I'd like to think it was because of their political stances rather than how many women they have on their side.
:ditto:
Its just a cheap ploy by McCain to try to get women voters.
I also think she is likely to be a weak and subordinate VP (not because of her gender but because of her inexperience and her lack of contacts). This is probably why he chose her.
Obama picked Biden as a partner but McCain has chosen her as a ploy and to be his yes man, well yes woman.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
McCain has really screwed up here. He's completely discarded the "bigot vote" - people who would vote for McCain simply because they didn't want to see a black man or a woman in the White House. The whole thing smacks of pandering for votes from disgruntled Hillary supporters, but after her (and Bill's) very respectable speeches at the Convention, along with Palin's strong pro-life views, I don't think it's going to work.
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chrrye)
Imo its more an 'omg she's a woman' weapon to go some way to combat the 'omg he is black' that McCain obviously feels Obama is benefiting from to some extent.
:ditto:. And I have a feeling McCain will win cuz of this :sad:.
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meus)
This is true, he may be a hypocrite but Obama's campaign cannot use this "lack of experience" against him otherwise it falls flat on their face with the Senator being blasted all the time, not neccessarily for his policies, but for his lack of experience. It'd be like a duck criticising another duck simply for being a duck!
But she's even less experienced and anyway Obama may not have decades of federal experience but he's experienced enough if you ask me. Anyway I'm sure analysts will point out her greater inexperience so Obama won't have to.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crimson Black)
McCain lambasts Obama for lack of experience. Chooses female running mate serving first term as governor of Alaska. Amongst obvious advantages, he would become a hypocrite if he continues arguing against Obama not having enough experience.

It's a good choice of Veep IMO.
She is better qualified to be president than Obama, and she isn't heading the ticket anyway.
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to say, this is political genius by McCain. It shows the Republicans to be progressive in much the same way that Obama is keen to be [i.e. breaking the Gender bar] and is ideally placed to poach some of the Hillary supporters away from the Democrats.

What an interesting contest this is going to be!

I bet Obama's going to be kicking himself in November he didn't pick Hillary for Veep. She should have won the contest for the Dems anyway but hey: change we can ALL believe in eh!
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
I, like Howard, think this was a fantastic choice and shows real political skill and tact from the GOP camp to pick Palin. What could be better than a young female who has had some political successes in her home State? She is also bound to attract a lot of the female vote that Obama has seemingly turned his back on.

For those of you who seem to be jubilantly crowing about McCain not being able to play on Obama's experience, what on earth are you talking about? There's a world of difference between an inexperienced President and an inexperienced VEEP! The inexperienced VEEP can learn on the job and pick up the skills for the job in McCain's term, whereas Obama is thrown in to the world's most powerful position with little REAL experience.
:ditto:

what a masterstroke by John McCain :love:
SomeNextPirate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess this will be decided on how hard Hilary pushes for her backers to support obama (beyond a speech here and there)
Meus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Please someone explain to me why she would attract female voters to the extent that it gives McCain the massive advantage that he needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (251)
27.14%
No (674)
72.86%

Watched Threads