Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    *Cringes at thread*

For one, you don't need 3 protein shakes a day when you aren't lifting. What a ridiculous waste of protein. I assume you have a good diet otherwise? If you aren't eating much and just relying on shakes, then that is even worse as they are called supplements for a reason. So if you do have a good diet, you would only need 1 shake a day and that is if you are lifting.

Proteins are the building blocks for muscle; carbohydrates shuttle these blocks around to help build muscle. You don't want lots of protein when you aren't working out, you will just **** it all out. Instead look into buying a shake which is designed to put on weight (though again, you should really be working out). These are packed full of carbs as it is a surplus of these which will increase your bodyfat.

Honestly don't bother with the shakes if you aren't hitting the gym. Just eat more food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    *Cringes at thread*

For one, you don't need 3 protein shakes a day when you aren't lifting. What a ridiculous waste of protein. I assume you have a good diet otherwise? If you aren't eating much and just relying on shakes, then that is even worse as they are called supplements for a reason. So if you do have a good diet, you would only need 1 shake a day and that is if you are lifting.

Proteins are the building blocks for muscle; carbohydrates shuttle these blocks around to help build muscle. You don't want lots of protein when you aren't working out, you will just **** it all out. Instead look into buying a shake which is designed to put on weight (though again, you should really be working out). These are packed full of carbs as it is a surplus of these which will increase your bodyfat.

Honestly don't bother with the shakes if you aren't hitting the gym. Just eat more food.
    pretty naive post that. some people tend to use protein shakes not just for the added protein but also for their digesting properties. for example whey has a very high biological value and is perfect post workout, its also easy to take with you in a bottle. another example would be casein which is perfect pre-bedtime as it digests slowly. if you dont want to be eating lots of cheese/milk before bedtime (and you really dont!) because of the fat content and nightmares then nothing else beats it. theres nothing wrong with having lots of protein shakes, by which i mean no more than 3 per day. any more and thats really pushing it.

ReputationRep:
    well i didnt intend to drink protein shakes only.. i just wanted to drink something that would help gain weight
    and then somebody in this thread informed me of weight gaining shakes
    before this, i only knew of protein shakes.. sorry
    anyway ive ordered some weight gain milkshake powder now so its all good
    thanks for everybodys help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitsabeeba)
    well i didnt intend to drink protein shakes only.. i just wanted to drink something that would help gain weight
    and then somebody in this thread informed me of weight gaining shakes
    before this, i only knew of protein shakes.. sorry
    anyway ive ordered some weight gain milkshake powder now so its all good
    thanks for everybodys help though

Gaining fat won't ever make you look good by the way. This is after all the Fitness section, which doesn't really recommend gaining fat.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the doctors about a similar issue - I find it really hard to increase my calorie intake but really need to gain weight.

She recommend a product called Complan. Its used by health care professionals to help those who are struggling with solids.
    There is also the Nestle Build up product, which I prefer the taste of and they have slightly more calories in less powder.
    They come in lots of different flavours and aren't *that* bad.
    Pretty much availble in most large pharmacy places, I've gotten them from Boots and Sainburys in the pharmacy section.

They both also contain vitamins and all that good stuff. Complan can be made up with either milk or water (milk is better, more calories + tastes better) and hot or cold. There's soups and stuff in both ranges as well.

http://www.complanfoods.com/
    http://www.nestle.co.uk/OurBrands/Ab...alSupplements/

really think these are better than the stuff designed for weight lifters. and i find they dont make me full up at all - no more than a normal glass of milk. so its easy to have them in addition to your normals meals rather than instead of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    I went to the doctors about a similar issue - I find it really hard to increase my calorie intake but really need to gain weight.

She recommend a product called Complan. Its used by health care professionals to help those who are struggling with solids.
    There is also the Nestle Build up product, which I prefer the taste of and they have slightly more calories in less powder.
    Pretty much availble in most large pharmacy places, I've gotten them from Boots and Sainburys in the pharmacy section.

They both also contain vitamins and all that good stuff. Complan can be made up with either milk or water (milk is better, more calories + tastes better) and hot or cold. There's soups and stuff in both ranges as well.

really think these are better than the stuff designed for weight lifters. and i find they dont make me full up at all - no more than a normal glass of milk. so its easy to have them in addition to your normals meals rather than instead of.
    Those are meal replacements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    hey,

good job adonis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)

Gaining fat won't ever make you look good by the way. This is after all the Fitness section, which doesn't really recommend gaining fat.
    do i have to spell it out to you?
    ive said it a million and one freakin times now

ReputationRep:

Thankyoku I'd never heard of these before, Im going to look into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    hey,

thought I'd give a proper response instead of a Hulk line

Firstly don't get put off by the word "muscle mass"

you aren't going to become she-hulk by downing protein shakes

and if you were wondering what protein shakes are, most are Whey

Which is derieved from milk, so it's pretty much the same as having loads of milk (but the sugary and fatty bits removed)

In fact, that's the main ingredient in baby milk formula

doesn't sound so scary now, eh?

The image of protein shakes, I mean is down to marketing

put a picture of a juiced up bodybuilder on the front, call it mega mass 4000

and it'll sell

call it - the same stuff as baby milk with flavouring added, not quiteee the same

Secondly - You would need to do some form of exercise too, to gain some weight (both muscle and fat) so you'd have more of a shape to you

I'd advise just eating a copious amount of fatty foods since it's more likely that the "weight" you put on, will in the form of extra fat which isn't very healthy or make you look optimal

Protein shakes would be ideal in your situation since you have stated they can't really stomach much food

You can blend in fruits (banana works well), oats, unsweetened peanut butter into them and make a smoothie of sorts

thankyou

ReputationRep:
    do i have to spell it out to you?
    ive said it a million and one freakin times now
    You haven't spelt it out in the first place. Maybe if you decided to type out an articulate post for once and didn't storm in here like we're all being paid by you to give you Fitness advice, you'd get a better answer.

From what you've spewed till now I can (vaguely) collect that you're trying to gain fat because you're too bony and skinny (Ie. Look bad, and you want to look good.) because you've had a bad summer. To do this you're suggesting taking protein shakes, or weight gainer shakes.

What I'm trying to say is, Fat won't make you look good. It'll make you look fat, and bloated. You don't want to gain muscle mass, for God know what reason. If fat is what you want, by all means, go ahead, but don't ask us about it in the Fitness section because that's the dumbest thing I've eve seen being posted in here. If you want to gain fat, eat stuff which people normally condemn. End of story.

Protein shakes really won't help, a g of protein has 4 calories and so does a g of Carbs. If you want to gain fat, buy a tub of lard and blubber and down it, Fat contains 9 cals per g.

Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    If the OP is significantly underweight she needs to gain fat AND muscle in a sensible ratio. I really don't see why this is causing so much confusion/irritation

ReputationRep:

Complan

Ingredients;

Banana flavour

Skimmed milk, lactose, vegetable oil, maltodextrin, glucose syrup, sugar, flavourings, magnesium sulphate, thickener (xanthan gum), beta-carotene, vitamin C, iron sulphate, niacin, vitamin E, zinc sulphate, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, manganese sulphate, riboflavin, thiamin, copper sulphate, vitamin A, folic acid, vitamin K, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, biotin, sodium molybdate, chromium chloride, vitamin D, vitamin B12

If we just ignore the vitamins (since you can just pop a multi-vit/mineral)

that leaves you with;

Skimmed milk,
    lactose, (the sugar found in milk)
    vegetable oil,(not ideal fat source)
    maltodextrin, (a form of sugar)
    glucose syrup,(more sugar)
    sugar (even more sugar)

Not a great list of stuff, in terms of health

This is what is bugging me about this thread, people who are condemning the usage of protein powders

But are advocating much worse things

I mean, from a health perspective and body composition

Can you really say eating pizza is better for her in this situation??
    Eating pretty much sugar-laden weight-gainers?

& their rationalisations are based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence based upon seeing bodybuilders using protein powders

Please look past this notion of what “food” is meant to be

I mean look at the list of ingredients for the following;

Cow & Gate Growing Up Milk 900g

Ingredients

Demineralised Whey*, Vegetable Oils, Skimmed Milk*, Maltodextrin, Prebiotic Fibres (Galacto-Oligosaccharides*, Polyfructose*), Lactose*, Whey Protein Concentrate*, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Vitamin C, Magnesium Chloride, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vanilla, Iron Sulphate, Zinc Sulphate, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E, Niacin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Pantothenic Acid, Copper Sulphate, Vitamin A, Biotin, Thiamin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulphate, Viamin K, Sodium Selenite, Contains: *Milk, Soya.

Notice something similar?

Are you people going on a crusade to prevent the pandemic of babies turning out to become protein fuelled pumped up bodybuilders?

Purleasse

ReputationRep:
    My mate is using protein shakes now and he has gain a little bit of weight so I would assume so.

ReputationRep:
    Protein shakes are a healthy way to consume cals if the OP can't stomach solids. As Adonis has pointed out MRPs are laden with sugar --> body fat. Protein shakes are virtually fat and sugar free. If the OP wants so extra cals, take the protein with full fat milk. I personally prefer fat free as I don't like the cholesterol, sat fat and sugar content of full fat milk.

The OP needs to exercise in order to gain healthy weight or she'll just be skinny fat eventually..... at the end of the day, if the OP wants to look good she has to start trying to eat properly and exercise. [/thread]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Protein shakes are a healthy way to consume cals if the OP can't stomach solids. As Adonis has pointed out MRPs are laden with sugar --> body fat. Protein shakes are virtually fat and sugar free. If the OP wants so extra cals, take the protein with full fat milk. I personally prefer fat free as I don't like the cholesterol, sat fat and sugar content of full fat milk.

The OP needs to exercise in order to gain healthy weight or she'll just be skinny fat eventually..... at the end of the day, if the OP wants to look good she has to start trying to eat properly and exercise. [/thread]
    She insists that she wants to gain fat though :rolleyes: I basically suggested the same thing and was told whether I needed it 'spelled out to me'.

I recommended lard and blubber. You're saying she shouldn't drink Weight gainer shakes because they're full of sugar, well, she should, because fat is what she's looking for.

Lifting a weight is going to turn her into the hulk, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    She insists that she wants to gain fat though :rolleyes: I basically suggested the same thing and was told whether I needed it 'spelled out to me'.

I recommended lard and blubber. You're saying she shouldn't drink Weight gainer shakes because they're full of sugar, well, she should, because fat is what she's looking for.

Lifting a weight is going to turn her into the hulk, obviously.
    If she wants to gain fat, a trip to McDs and Pizza hut it is (or eat lard out of the packet, or full fat cream) *voms*

Of course protein is going to make her massively hulk, I mean look at me for Christ sake, I'm HUUUUUUUGE (they also turned me green.....)

ReputationRep:
    You haven't spelt it out in the first place. Maybe if you decided to type out an articulate post for once and didn't storm in here like we're all being paid by you to give you Fitness advice, you'd get a better answer.

From what you've spewed till now I can (vaguely) collect that you're trying to gain fat because you're too bony and skinny (Ie. Look bad, and you want to look good.) because you've had a bad summer. To do this you're suggesting taking protein shakes, or weight gainer shakes.

What I'm trying to say is, Fat won't make you look good. It'll make you look fat, and bloated. You don't want to gain muscle mass, for God know what reason. If fat is what you want, by all means, go ahead, but don't ask us about it in the Fitness section because that's the dumbest thing I've eve seen being posted in here. If you want to gain fat, eat stuff which people normally condemn. End of story.

Protein shakes really won't help, a g of protein has 4 calories and so does a g of Carbs. If you want to gain fat, buy a tub of lard and blubber and down it, Fat contains 9 cals per g.

Have fun.
    i couldn't be bothered to read all that sorry
    just chill.

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't be bothered to read all that sorry
    just chill.
    I'm chilled. I'm quite chilled. I just don't like people coming in here and barking orders at people to give you answers to a dumb question and then being an idiot about the answers you get.

YOU are asking the questions, YOU require the answers. We aren't obligated to give you one. We gave you some answers out of courtesy so the least you can do is not be a total idiot about it and tell people whether they want things 'spelt out' for them when they ask for a little bit of clarification.

Get out the ******* out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Misogynist: No-one, that includes you or I are obligated to teach. They are obligated to learn.

I think thats a good quote for this situation

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.