Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Why is it assumed that the opposite of bringing someone up with religion is bringing them up to deny religion?
    It wasn't assumed; my post was in reply to a claim that strong atheism (ie denying religion) was acceptable.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how about we just dont bring children up at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    "Christianity" is not an entity, and so cannot prey on anyone, correct.

However, there are MANY Christians who "prey" on people, I have been approached by Christians in the street and at my front door in an attempt to convert me.

There is a certain Christian at my school who is 'outspoken' - some of the stuff that this particular person says can only be described as hate speech.

I would dispute the fact that being Christian makes you unpopular, more spouting stuff that no one wants to hear makes you unpopular.
    You have a problem with evangelism? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faiza.)
    But you don't know that. I mean, it really depends on how you define 'religious'. If they were the researching type, then perhaps they'd still hold the same belief even if they were born into another family or even religion.

If you ask some believers 'how do you know x religion is right?', then the answer they'll most likely tell you is 'because I just know' or 'i feel it is' or something like that. But then there'll be those that have searched and searched for the one right religion, and they'll tell you something like 'because i was on a journey for the truth, and i feel like x religion is the truth. The other religions don't answer every single question i have'.

It's also the different sects too. I mean why is it some are catholics, whilst others are protestants? Why is it some are shi'as, whilst others are sunnis? Etc. etc. Some will just follow their particular sect blindly, whilst others will believe that y sect is correct, because they've done full research on other ones.
    Well you do know that...Because a Catholic wouldn't be a Catholic if they were brought up in a Muslim family (I'll repeat again: obviously there are exceptions).

ReputationRep:
    Well you do know that...Because a Catholic wouldn't be a Catholic if they were brought up in a Muslim family (I'll repeat again: obviously there are exceptions).
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    You have a problem with evangelism? :confused:
    Yes I do.

I am fully capable of finding a religion should I feel the need. I do NOT want, nor need, it shoved down my throat.

Nor do I want friends insulted because of a certain individuals beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faiza.)
    But you don't know that.
    Well, the fact that religions are, for the most part, strongly linked to ethnic and family groups is fairly strong evidence in its favour. Plus common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do.

I am fully capable of finding a religion should I feel the need. I do NOT want, nor need, it shoved down my throat.

Nor do I want friends insulted because of a certain individuals beliefs.
    So would you also have a problem with atheist evangelism?
    And would you also have a problem with Christian friends being insulted because of their beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't assumed; my post was in reply to a claim that strong atheism (ie denying religion) was acceptable.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    So would you also have a problem with atheist evangelism?
    And would you also have a problem with Christian friends being insulted because of their beliefs?
    Depends what kind of atheist, if it was the type promoting thinking for oneself and questioning things rather than just blindly believing then no I wouldn't have a problem. As it is not dictating specific things that one should or should not do. Nor is it saying certain actions are wrong (other than of course blindly believing :rolleyes: - and anyone who says that not blindly believing is wrong I don't care if they are offended).

Of course if it is saying derogatory things about 'God' calling religious people offensive things etc then yes I would have a problem with it. That is not the place for streets, front doors or a school environment (funnily enough I have never witnessed them occurring in such places :rolleyes:).

None of my Christian or Muslim friends would be insulted by being told to question things and think for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I see nothing wrong with bring people up with religion. My friend was brought up as a Jew and it appears to have done him no harm.

Also, how is it any different to bringing up a child in a house where there are rules/family traditions?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.