Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    to be fair your site is pretty average - it also doesnt work properly on firefox 3 - its too wide so you logo is out of vision unless i scrol lto the right for a full view - more importantly your 'retouched' photos are not in view for me by default

are you on a PC??

my site works fine on all mac's I have been on

ReputationRep:
    Dreamweaver.

Front page is crap. we have to use it at school, you cant even move pics.

ReputationRep:
    A website should work on every operating system and on every browser. Not just one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Dreamweaver.

Front page is crap. we have to use it at school, you cant even move pics.

aww I remember using front page at school :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    are you on a PC??

my site works fine on all mac's I have been on

yes.

i guess the vast majority of people using the net are on PCs.

ReputationRep:
    I can't even begin to explain how brain-damaged your site will be if you use Frontpage. Really. Use Dreamweaver, MS Expression Web or Eclipse with the web dev tools if you want a decent WYSIWYG website editor. You can also use them perfectly well for writing the site straight into HTML, as they're normally pretty good editors.

If you want to go all the way, you can do it in Notepad, but because of no niceties, like remember indentation and syntax highlighting, it's not too good. Notepad++ is a pretty decent one though. Even better, get a host that allows SSH, connect, and use vim/emacs to do the work straight on the server

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    yes.

i guess the vast majority of people using the net are on PCs.

funny you say that most my traffic comes from mac users..

and i have just been focused on getting up on the first page of google.. I was on the first page with one of my key phrases.. now I am at the top of the second page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slugonamission)
    I can't even begin to explain how brain-damaged your site will be if you use Frontpage. Really. Use Dreamweaver, MS Expression Web or Eclipse with the web dev tools if you want a decent WYSIWYG website editor. You can also use them perfectly well for writing the site straight into HTML, as they're normally pretty good editors.

If you want to go all the way, you can do it in Notepad, but because of no niceties, like remember indentation and syntax highlighting, it's not too good. Notepad++ is a pretty decent one though. Even better, get a host that allows SSH, connect, and use vim/emacs to do the work straight on the server

I actually laughed out loud at that :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Your site works for me in FF3. Also, it tends to be the rendering engine (Gecko, Webkit etc) that you need to code for, not the browser. Just one note though, why why why why WHY is each section of the menu in its own flash file? . A similar effect could have been gotten fine in standard HTML/CSS, and it destroys accessibility for anyone not using Flash...

ReputationRep:
    Your site works for me in FF3. Also, it tends to be the rendering engine (Gecko, Webkit etc) that you need to code for, not the browser. Just one note though, why why why why WHY is each section of the menu in its own flash file? . A similar effect could have been gotten fine in standard HTML/CSS, and it destroys accessibility for anyone not using Flash...
    So some people may not be able to see my menu??

I didn't originally have it like that.. I was told to change it

I am never gonna listen to any eveeeer again lol :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Heh. As soon as you start using plugins, you have to take into account the fact that people that don't have the relevant plugin won't be able to see it, so you should never vital sections of your site (like, navigation) into flash unless you really really need to, and then offer a HTML fallback incase the user doesn't have Flash.

It also makes loads of ugly "Block" buttons above each one for people that use AdBlock :p:

ReputationRep:
    Heh. As soon as you start using plugins, you have to take into account the fact that people that don't have the relevant plugin won't be able to see it, so you should never vital sections of your site (like, navigation) into flash unless you really really need to, and then offer a HTML fallback incase the user doesn't have Flash.

oooh I see.. thank you

Random: when ever I hear the word Plugin ... I think of "plug in air fresheners"

My site has been up for a think almost 3 months now.. when I hosted it there was barely anything there lol .. I just wanted it on the net :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

What I see. Not very alluring...

The whole thing needs to be moved left to get rid of the horizontal scroll bars. And like someone else has said, don't use Flash for navigation. For people with adblock (like me and probably a large percentage of Firefox users) you'll get a "Block" tab on everything.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Dreamweaver. Without a doubt.

Frontpage sucks balls.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

ReputationRep:

That's also what it looks like Flash-less

EDIT: Really though, you just need to be a tad more considerate that not everyone uses the same screen res and environment as you

ReputationRep:
    I will shift it all... promise

ReputationRep:
    and I didn't know about the flash thing .. just seems sooooo long to change it all lol.. and I am feeling a bit lazy

ReputationRep:
    Notead++ ftw

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I have stolen this guys thread

... I am sowwie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    You took the words right out of my mouth!
    I have no reason to quote this other than to tell you your sig is immense. :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 21, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.