Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valkyrja)
    OP.....even if men are more intelligent than women, then you certainly are not an exempler if you created a thread such as this....

cause this is sooooo going to be a debatable issue.

:rolleyes:

p.s. for the record, anyone who agrees with OP about this is more than likely a misogynistic dumbass
    Why? I don't agree or disagree, but I'm sure there could be someone who agrees with vast amounts of evidence. :p:

(Original post by happy-and-lost)
    That apostrophe hurts my soul.

So what of us lesbians? Some research has suggested that we posses brains more similarly structured to male brains than female brains.
    I like lesbians. :yep:

I'm not really intrested in their brain.

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea what studies were conducted to come up with this (and sorry if someone has already posted this, I haven't read the other posts):

There are more men in the bottom and top 5% (IQ, I'm guessing) of the country.

IE, women are more consistent, but males have a greater range .

ReputationRep:
    Yes, men are more intelligent.

Granted there will be idiots from both sexes- although it's only a handful of men compared to every woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themagpies1)
    evidence imo: men have ruled almost every society in the entirety of human history. Surely this was no accident?
    Not entirely true.

Look up Matrifocality, kinship structures where the woman plays a dominant role has been around for centuries and can still be found in some parts of the world today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbandervish)
    Not entirely true.

Look up Matrifocality, kinship structures where the woman plays a dominant role has been around for centuries and can still be found in some parts of the world today.
    Yeah, the crap parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr15chr15)
    i think the top 5% of the pop. intelligence wise is mainly men. However the top 0.1% is mainly women!

Basically men are generally smarter but women are the smartest!
    Other way round (well, sort of), see my above post...cba to edit.

ReputationRep:
    men fill up the top and bottom of the scale. women fill up the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbandervish)
    Not entirely true.

note the use of the word ''almost''. i didnt say all.

so this matrifocality is present in most of history i presume :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr15chr15)
    i think the top 5% of the pop. intelligence wise is mainly men. However the top 0.1% is mainly women!

Basically men are generally smarter but women are the smartest!

i think you're a dodo! The top 0.1% a more likely men. It's said to get a Nobel Price you need about 160 IQ, all are won by men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeAndBubbles)
    i think you're a dodo! The top 0.1% a more likely men. It's said to get a Nobel Price you need about 160 IQ, all are won by men.
    I think that's more to do with the fact that feminism is a significantly more modern invention (wrong word for it. You know what I mean) than the Nobel Prize.

ReputationRep:
    But how much of it is nature and how much is nurture?

ReputationRep:
    :sucks:

ReputationRep:
    I do think men are more intelligent than women but I think women are more hard working

reason: well generally I have seen more girls who work harder than boys in their studies yet I have seen lots of boys who are just almost naturally clever and dont work as hard)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeCordell)
    I've no idea what studies were conducted to come up with this (and sorry if someone has already posted this, I haven't read the other posts):

There are more men in the bottom and top 5% (IQ, I'm guessing) of the country.

IE, women are more consistent, but males have a greater range .
    There were stats proving that in relating to each gender's aptitude for maths.

Then the President of Harvard read out the stats and was sacked, apparantly for claiming that females were "innately deficient at maths". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themagpies1)
    note the use of the word ''almost''. i didnt say all.

so this matrifocality is present in most of history i presume :rolleyes:
    Note the word "entirely," I didn't say true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Why? I don't agree or disagree, but I'm sure there could be someone who agrees with vast amounts of evidence. :p:

Oh yes because the evidence is VAST.

Actually....there is a lot more evidence which suggests men and women are actually pretty much the same in every respect, it is societal expectations which may hinder the progress of genders in certain areas, for example:

"the widespread belief that boys are better than girls in math. However, according to her meta-analysis, boys and girls perform equally well in math until high school, at which point boys do gain a small advantage. That may not reflect biology as much as social expectations, many psychologists believe. For example, the original Teen Talk Barbie ™, before she was pulled from the market after consumer protest, said, “Math class is tough.”"

(http://www.psychologymatters.org/nodifference.html)

And this basically says the same thing;

http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/amp606581.pdf

hell even wikipedia disputes this claim...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and...Variance_in_IQ

OP has made a sensationalist statement based on his reading of some text which suggests the hypothesis as a possibility, naturally, due to the significance of gender issues and equality in modern society, one would naturally jump at the chance to prove that they belong to the "better" sex, and therefore may ignore any evidence to the contary and focus specifically on what they want to see.

Meh like I said this thread is genuinely stupid....

.....I'm off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-and-lost)
    I think that's more to do with the fact that feminism is a significantly more modern invention (wrong word for it. You know what I mean) than the Nobel Prize.

i did read the female brain is 100 times bigger than the males

ReputationRep:
    Historically, sort of. Women tend to all be of similar intelligence and ability. Men are more spread out, we have more total idiots but we also have more brilliant intellects. think of all the major scientific, political and artistic ideas in history, the vast majority were by men.

ReputationRep:
    i was talking from my experiences in school etc, didnt state that though.

And if im a dodo you're an emu!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.