Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All good advice indie, but erm....a little dated. 99% sure that his hard drive and DVDRW will be SATA, and his graphics card will be PCI-E. The hard drive and DVDRW each take a SATA power cable and a SATA data cable, both of which only fit one slot in one direction (look on google images for examples of what each one looks like).

As for the graphics card it goes into one of the bigger (16x) PCI Express slots, and probably gets a 6 pin cable (or 2) from the power supply. Again, google images helps to identify this, as does having a look in the relevant manuals.

EDIT: Rob, is that second picture a molex connector or is it just the light shining on it strangely?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's a molex connector. I had a SATA hard disk once which had both power connections, I was just being thorough to avoid any confusion. There's not a lot that can go wrong, he'll find the right ones from those pictures

Both the hard disk and CD drive will most likely look like the picture at the end of that other post I made.

The graphics power lead looks like this (ignore the two white plugs, you should have this coming straight out of your power supply):

If your graphics card has two of these power slots, make sure you fill them both.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, never seen one like that, guess it would allow you to use the drive without a molex-->SATA convertor if you were using a slightly older PSU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriso)
    Ooh, never seen one like that, guess it would allow you to use the drive without a molex-->SATA convertor if you were using a slightly older PSU.
    That's the idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriso)
    All good advice indie, but erm....a little dated. 99% sure that his hard drive and DVDRW will be SATA, and his graphics card will be PCI-E. The hard drive and DVDRW each take a SATA power cable and a SATA data cable, both of which only fit one slot in one direction (look on google images for examples of what each one looks like).

As for the graphics card it goes into one of the bigger (16x) PCI Express slots, and probably gets a 6 pin cable (or 2) from the power supply. Again, google images helps to identify this, as does having a look in the relevant manuals.

EDIT: Rob, is that second picture a molex connector or is it just the light shining on it strangely?
    :p: My PC is 7 years old lol! Urgh that makes me feel so, so old.

ReputationRep:
    OK should ther be things that don't need connecting?
    My HHD at the back is like this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=836831.

What slots on that need filling?

ReputationRep:
    That's a Serial ATA Hard disk that can either accept Serial ATA power and Molex power.

What's your power supply?

Do one of the following two options.
    1. Fill BOTH the two on the left (SATA Power, SATA Data)
    2. Fill the second in from the left (SATA Data) and the one on the right (Molex Power)

The hard disk doesn't care what power it gets, as long as it gets it. Don't give it both power plugs.

ReputationRep:
    The ones to the left of that pic are the sata power and data cables, and on the right hand side is a molex connector which you can safely ignore. Seems you got one just like Rob was talking about!

ReputationRep:
    My power supply is this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=664337

So on the HHD what wire from the power supply goes where.

I think i might ring someone to come out...lol

ReputationRep:
    No need!

Your PSU connectors are :

1 x 4+4pin CPU +12V
    6 x 4pin Molex
    2 x 6+2pin PCI-E Power
    2 x FDD Power
    6 x SATA Power <----- Use one of these

And a thin SATA data cable, (probably red like in my picture) that you got with your motherboard. Connect the other end of this to a SATA port on your motherboard (look in the motherboard manual for location, or simply find one on the motherboard that looks like it, you'll be ok)

Then you're done plugging in your hard disk

ReputationRep:
    That PSU has SATA connectors, so you can use the one that looks like this:

ReputationRep:
    On this pic, the circles yellow slot is not needed?
    The red one and blue one both need to be fitted with a wire from the power supply?

ReputationRep:
    You're correct. Completely disregard the yellow connector; it's a legacy way of connecting SATA hard disks for people who aren't fortunate enough to have modern PSUs as you do

Plug the SATA Power cable into the RED slot.
    Plug the SATA Data cable into the BLUE slot.

You can find pictures of what the cables look like on my previous post mate.

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind that the other end of the wire that goes to the blue slot gets connected to the motherboard.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, didn't read your post properly. BLUE connector comes from motherboard. RED connector comes from PSU.

Cheers,

Rob

ReputationRep:
    OK the HHD and CD/DVD are now wired up.
    Does it matter what red slot they go into on the mobo?

ReputationRep:
    I have two small red wires coming from the DVD and HHD.
    Where do they go on the mobo?

ReputationRep:
    This is my mobo:

The red wire only fits into a red orange or white slot on the mobo. Can't see a blue one.

ReputationRep:
    Any of the SATA connectors on the motherboard should be fine, but I'm not sure which wires you mean...from the DVD I'd have guessed an audio connector but that wouldn't be present on the HDD.

You're referring to something other than the SATA data cables I presume?

EDIT: They go into the red slots on the mobo, near the top right in that picture. Not sure what the difference is between them and the orange and white slots.

ReputationRep:
    If they look like this :

They plug into the motherboard.

It doesn't matter what ones they go into, but I think the HDD should go into Slot 0 (if it's named that - look in the motheboard manual, but don't get hung up on it, it doesn't really matter. If it's easy to find and do, do it, if not, dont worry )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.