Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was a prefect... we got a badge and a different tie to everyone else. :woo:

it was annoying because the original prefects elected at the start of the year got given jobs, so i was the ICT prefect, but then people who got made prefects towards the end of the year for 'improving their behaviour' didn't get a duty to do. so basically there was tons of chav prefects with no duty while we did all the work. that was fair...

oh and also, the head girl (who we all thought would never get it) was the deputy head's niece.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was head girl at my school... it was chosen by the senior staff. It just meant occasionally greeting the "VIP" guests at school events and giving a speech at prize giving with the head boy.

ReputationRep:
    I am a prefect, we get a crappy badge that keeps falling off my blazer and have no authority over anybody apart from the year 7s, and even then only when we threaten to go and get a teacher. I knew I wouldn't get head girl, I'm not a great believer in pointless rules, and they know it, plus I didn't want the weird stripey tie from Next. I don't know how they decided it, I think it was supposedly the teachers, and actually the head, we didn't get a say at all though.

ReputationRep:
    Head Girl ftw.

I got a red tie (rather than the stripey ones with ikky yellow on) and a shiny red & gold badge, and I had to make a speech at rewards evening with the head boy & give some flowers to the guest speaker.

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'm house captain. I wish I never went in for it, it's a load of rubbish. So glad I didn't get head girl, far too lazy for that!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    My school didn't have Head boy/girl or prefects but I was captain of a few sports teams and then became a sports rep and chairperson of the Student Council.

I got to interview teachers, show round guests and generally miss lessons to help out for bits and bobs. Quite boring really except when i helped lead a protest for food prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I found it all quite cool. You got a fancy blazer, the ability to use lots of the staff facilities and a good excuse to stick your nose into anything you fancied.

If only you could still administer corporal punishment as a prefect, like in the good old days.
    lol..agreed..they could give punishments like detentions at our school though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eMJaaay♥)
    I went extra and wrote a proper letter and everything, after which they made everyone write letters :o:
    Bet they all loved you after that :rolleyes:

I was a prefect. We just had to tell our tutors if we wanted to be put forward. The prefects then elected the high boy/girl so that was a bit of a popularity contest.

We just had to stand around a lunch time a week and make sure people weren't going places they shouldn't or pushing in queues. Basically, the teachers job.

ReputationRep:
    i really wanted to be a prefect mainly cos all my friends wanted to as well. so i put my name down and it was then decided by all the staff. it was announced in an assembly and i cried because i wasnt made one. i then made it my vendetta to always resent the people who were prefects, and at any point i would try and get people stripped of their prefectness.

i also became the peoples head girl and would deliberatly sabotage any prefect based stuff or argue against any new ideas they had :o:

me, bitter, never...

god thats dreadful reading that back,:o:

ReputationRep:
    I was a school mentor for the dylexic younger kids when i was in years 9-11, and a prefect in year 11. We got special school ties

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was voted my staff and students as Deputy Head Girl and this year I was voted Head Girl by them. Grand

ReputationRep:
    I was a prefect in year 11. The teachers chose the prefects based on their record basically. Generally if you had any detentions you couldn't be a prefect, you had to be consistently punctual and dressed in proper school uniform etc.

We were put into pairs/groups of three and stationed around the school where we had to make sure no pupils were coming inside during lunch except to use the toilet or use the computer labs. We had to tell the kids to tuck in their shirts/do their top buttons up/do their tie properly but I never bothered. It was a good way of standing in the warm all lunch/break time having a laugh.

Oh and on the school open evening we were expected to help out.

We got a prefect badge and a different tie. Now, that I've left, they've changed it and given the prefects different coloured jumpers and the power to hand out uniform warnings. If you get three warnings (for things like not having your top button on your shirt done up), you're in detention. Previously only the teachers were allowed to do that.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have them in the Netherlands (as far as I'm aware of).
    The student council at my school however is choosen by the kids on the student council (aka popularity contest) and the school newspaper is for everyone who was rejected by the student council (and of course I'm the editor in chief).

ReputationRep:
    I was a prefect. We had to fill in this application form and provide a teacher reference and then were selected by the heads of year.

The Head Girl (I went to an all girls school) had to have been approved as a prefect. Then they filled in another application form and there was a public ballot of pupils and teachers. The best 6 or so then had an interview with the heads of year until one was selected.

I hated being a prefect - it was such a bore and trying to get the girls to go out (they were allowed to be inside for 20 minutes and then had to be outside for the remaining 20) and then stay out was a bit of a nightmare. All it took was one gobby girl and the whole group would rebel. Prefects were given a badge (green I think, meaning I had three to remember as Year 11s had a badge and I was a peer counsellor so I had one for that too). Head Girl and her deputies had these very fancy gold badges that were handed down for literally about 100 years - they were all very stressed about losing or breaking it lol.

I didn't apply for Head Girl. She had to do all sorts of presentations and speechs and was effectively on prefect duty every day rather than one day a week. Nightmare.

At sixth form, the head boy and girl had to apply to the head teacher and then were interviewed. Everything was decided by the head and his deputies - the students didn't have a say. I don't think they wore anything special - they just had to go to awards evenings, open evenings etc and do speechs and organise the prom. The prefects were boys from Year 11, as was the Head Prefect, but I've no idea how they were selected. They wore a different colour tie - blue instead of red.

ReputationRep:
    We had to write a short essay as to why we should be Prefects.

We get no perks at our school... not even a badge. We're expected to do loads of things yet get no recognition. Instead the head boy and girl take it all.

ReputationRep:
    Pupil and staff ballot, though staff votes count as 2. Reason given is that there are fewer teachers than pupils. The top six are then interviewed for Head Girl(went to girls' school so no head boy).

ReputationRep:
    At our school the head boy/girl and the senior prefects could only be chosen out of the existing year 9/10 prefects. The teachers chose which students would be good as prefects where you got either the smarter kids or the kids in the lower sets who kissed ass.
    Then to go for head boy/girl you just put your name in and you had an interview with the the headteacher and the deputy headteachers we were asked things like "what would you change to make the school better if money was no object". Which I thought was a good question as it sorted the good answers from the "i'd buy every student a pimp car" kind of answer.
    I got head boy and one of my best mates got deputy all the others got a "consolation" of senior prefect which meant a new badge but no more "power".

ReputationRep:
    I was Head Boy, elected by ballot and interview. It was a tremendous honour, seeing that I had been at my school 14 years. It was also something i really wanted to achieve, and like you say OP I would have been fairly miffed if I hadn't been Head or Deputy Head, although it was never the be all and end all.

It was quite a lot of work and extra responsibility, especially on top of 4 A Levels, but it was something i thoroughly enjoyed so the implications of the time it took up were never a problem to me.

Go for it if you get the opportunity, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Bet they all loved you after that :rolleyes:

I was a prefect. We just had to tell our tutors if we wanted to be put forward. The prefects then elected the high boy/girl so that was a bit of a popularity contest.

We just had to stand around a lunch time a week and make sure people weren't going places they shouldn't or pushing in queues. Basically, the teachers job.
    They never found out :p:

My 'job' was to push around younger kids oh the joy lol the best bit was when I had a special pass that let me walk into restricted areas and go out for lunch

ReputationRep:
    I am a prefect. Not enjoying it that much, keeping NEDish 1st and 2nd years out of areas where they are not meant to be. I will probably quit once my UCAS form has been sent off.lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.