Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Polhem)
    Sounds awesome, wish I had the cash to go to MIT that would be amazing, albeit Imperial will be kick ass to they have the OTC.

sent off apps. to MIT?
    Well, you could always apply for financial aid.. they are need-based hence they will provide whatever you need....

Well, not yet, them american unis require way too many references from my teachers and my teachers are not the best at doing things on time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    Well, you could always apply for financial aid.. they are need-based hence they will provide whatever you need....

Well, not yet, them american unis require way too many references from my teachers and my teachers are not the best at doing things on time
    *******s...

ReputationRep:
    Woo only medicine applicant on this thread so far. (If only that were true in real life...)

Name: Denise
    Course (deferred?): Medicine 09
    GCSEs/equivalent: 7A*s 4As
    AS/equivalent subjects + grades: Biology- A, Chemistry- A, English Literature- B, Maths- B, Critical Thinking- A
    Predicted/actual subjects + grades: Predicted AAA in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.
    Other grades (UKCAT/AEA/STEP etc): tbc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asthenia)
    Woo only medicine applicant on this thread so far. (If only that were true in real life...)

Name: Denise
    Course (deferred?): Medicine 09
    GCSEs/equivalent: 7A*s 4As
    AS/equivalent subjects + grades: Biology- A, Chemistry- A, English Literature- B, Maths- B, Critical Thinking- A
    Predicted/actual subjects + grades: Predicted AAA in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.
    Other grades (UKCAT/AEA/STEP etc): tbc
    I'd do maths instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shootbangfire)
    I'd do maths instead.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    to make you a more competitive applicant for medicine. better to have three sciences than two sciences and an art, i'd think. or just carry on all 4.

ReputationRep:
    to make you a more competitive applicant for medicine. better to have three sciences than two sciences and an art, i'd think. or just carry on all 4.
    How does it make me more competitive? Imperial's propectus did not state that it is more advisable to take all sciences and/or maths at A2 because other applicants will be. :confused:
    Either way, I choose English as I wanted a bit more diversity than just science a-levels (which my other choices actually encourage) and tbh I'm stronger in English than Maths so am more likely to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    How does it make me more competitive? Imperial's propectus did not state that it is more advisable to take all sciences and/or maths at A2 because other applicants will be. :confused:
    Either way, I choose English as I wanted a bit more diversity than just science a-levels (which my other choices actually encourage) and tbh I'm stronger in English than Maths so am more likely to get an A.
    Fine, do what you want. It doesn't really affect me whether you get in or not.

ReputationRep:
    It may not officially say so in the prospectus, but it's obvious that a Maths A-level is more relevant (and hence more desirable) than an English Literature A-level. That said, A2 maths is quite a big step up from AS maths, and ultimately it's all about getting AAA, so I'd stick with English Literature in your position. But then again, maths is the most awesome subject ever so... :shifty:.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Swayum)
    It may not officially say so in the prospectus, but it's obvious that a Maths A-level is more relevant (and hence more desirable) than an English Literature A-level. That said, A2 maths is quite a big step up from AS maths, and ultimately it's all about getting AAA, so I'd stick with English Literature in your position. But then again, maths is the most awesome subject ever so... :shifty:.
    So close, and yet so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    So close, and yet so far.
    I'm not getting into a Maths vs Physics debate (especially because the Imperial forum is filled with physicists/related :shifty:) but this image sums it up really:

ReputationRep:
    ^ That thing must get posted at least once a day on TSR. :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by βored)
    Indeed, and don't make me quote the caption for it Swayum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    You're just upset that you're near the bottom of the food chain. I would put this more scientifically, but you're so low down you wouldn't understand :no:.

ReputationRep:
    You're just upset that you're near the bottom of the food chain. I would put this more scientifically, but you're so low down you wouldn't understand :no:.
    You're just bitter that whilst you're sitting in boring lectures, I'll be on fun field trips or learning about something that is actually interesting. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    You're just bitter that whilst you're sitting in boring lectures, I'll be on fun field trips or learning about something that is actually interesting. :yep:
    What like how pH affects species diversity in some random lake and drawing kite diagrams whilst I sit in my lecture working out the length of rope required for the perfect bungee jump :p:?

ReputationRep:
    What like how pH affects species diversity in some random lake and drawing kite diagrams whilst I sit in my lecture working out the length of rope required for the perfect bungee jump :p:?
    Okay, we're both idiots when you put it like that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting into a Maths vs Physics debate (especially because the Imperial forum is filled with physicists/related :shifty:) but this image sums it up really:

Hover over the original and it says "many physicists would argue that maths is to physics as masturbation is to intercourse."

ReputationRep:
    Hover over the original and it says "many physicists would argue that maths is to physics as masturbation is to intercourse."
    What does that make Biology - self harm?

:p:

Anyway.. back to the point: Feynman is God and Physics rules all :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Course (deferred?): Mechanical Engineering (Deferred)
    GCSEs/equivalent: 11A*s
    AS/equivalent subjects + grades: -
    Predicted/actual subjects + grades: Maths HL, Physics HL, Chemistry HL, English SL, French SL, Economics SL. Not sure about my predictions =/
    Other grades (UKCAT/AEA/STEP etc):None

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.