Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyet)
    Yeah, sorry, I wasn't being clear-I just meant that a 65+ 2.1 is a different proposition entirely to a 62% 2.1, and since so many people get a 2.1, with the majority (from what I have seen) falling into the sub 65 category, then in areas such as law, finance, etc, getting a solid 2.1 will be a definite advantage. There is a lot of gradation in classmarks.
    My point is that very often you don't have to declare your overall average, and certainly not at the Big4. They don't even ask for module marks (well at least two of them don't anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aria57)
    Wow. I didn't know that 3% gets you rejected from a job these days. **** is crazy yo
    Don't be facetious, of course it won't get you rejected, 65 just makes you more likely to get an interview, at which point it is down to you. Anyway, in university grading these days, 62=pretty crap, mediocre result, and 65=solid result. It isn't like getting 550 in an A level as opposed to 520, something which you know full well. It represents a signiciant difference in any one or more of quality/ability/work done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love2learn)
    My point is that very often you don't have to declare your overall average, and certainly not at the Big4. They don't even ask for module marks (well at least two of them don't anyway).
    Really?! Wow. All I know is that all the big law firms do, investment banks and management consultancies ditto, and some, like Slaughter and May and Cleary, are now asking for a 'good 2.1- as a prerequisite, not your bog standard 62.

ReputationRep:
    A vast majority of the investment banks do not ask you for your 'average' mark, and even if some do, its effect on your chances is even smaller than an incorrectly placed apostrophe.

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need a 65 +
    They don't ask for grades. As long as it's a 2.1 you're fine.

chauhanvik - your A-Levels sound fine - have you contemplated somewhere like UCL though? I think they do Maths and Geo but don't know if they do joint honours. St. Andrews would deffo be the best choice from your list though.

All the best! .
    I'd love to go to St Andrews but dont even think im gna get in there to be honest. Leeds and Sheffield have both said they'd consider an application and possibly just offer me an unconditional offer for next year once they receive a UCAS application.

UCL would be really good to go to also however they don't offer a Maths and Geography course joint honours which I'm really going for now, although what I am applying for at St. Andrews is Maths with Geography I think.

Would this degree still be good to go into the accountancy sector or possibly banking. Obviously a degree in economics or finance would be more suitable however I find Maths and Geography really good and they are also my favourite subjects. I just find if i enjoy something then I'll be good at it, also I haven't had much experience with Economics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your advice It's much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chauhanvik)
    I'd love to go to St Andrews but dont even think im gna get in there to be honest. Leeds and Sheffield have both said they'd consider an application and possibly just offer me an unconditional offer for next year once they receive a UCAS application.

UCL would be really good to go to also however they don't offer a Maths and Geography course joint honours which I'm really going for now, although what I am applying for at St. Andrews is Maths with Geography I think.

Would this degree still be good to go into the accountancy sector or possibly banking. Obviously a degree in economics or finance would be more suitable however I find Maths and Geography really good and they are also my favourite subjects. I just find if i enjoy something then I'll be good at it, also I haven't had much experience with Economics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your advice It's much appreciated.
    Accountancy does not require any discipline, they will recruit regardless of degree. I know people who have gone to deloitte, PWC, BDO etc etc with degrees in history, biology, english, maths. They train you themselves and you will do the ACCA or ACA professional exams over 3 years there anyway. Maths will be particularly suitable, so don't worry about subject choice. Do what you enjoy, you will come out better off and more rounded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyet)
    Accountancy does not require any discipline, they will recruit regardless of degree. I know people who have gone to deloitte, PWC, BDO etc etc with degrees in history, biology, english, maths. They train you themselves and you will do the ACCA or ACA professional exams over 3 years there anyway. Maths will be particularly suitable, so don't worry about subject choice. Do what you enjoy, you will come out better off and more rounded.
    Thanks again for the reply. Any idea what percent you need to get at uni to get a first? Do companies really look for people who have a first class honours or does it not matter if its a first or 2.1? Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    70+

If you haven't got much 'oomph' in your application then a 1:1 is better than a 2:1, but given a choice between a candidate who climbed a mountain, saved a life, organised a wedding and achieved a 2:1 at uni, and a candidate who didn't do any of that, but achieved a 1:1, the guy who got 2:1 would be selected over the guy who got 1:1.

edit: Is that the longest sentence ever?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: what he says! The competencies mean that you really need to do a lot of activities outside of Uni to be able to demonstrate a wide variety of skills - if you used Uni examples like groupwork for all of them they'd get a little annoyed. If you can do that and still get a first, then great, but if it means getting a 2.1 instead and turning out a really rounded candidate with a wide background of skills and experience then that's fine. A first just gives you a little more of an 'edge' but if you don't have the skills it won't make a blind bit of difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    70+

edit: Is that the longest sentence ever?
    No, read James Joyce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    No, read James Joyce.
    Epic bump.

ReputationRep:

Correction: KPMG PWC and Deloitte ask for all individual module marks and expected final year marks (if not completed). I do not know about E&Y.

ReputationRep:
    the qualifications get you in the front door and then the personality gets you anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    I think you need 3 things:
    1. Ticks in the boxes - ie a levels/highers, gcse/standard grades, 2.1 degree any discipline.
    - that gets you the interview. Everything else about your qualifications doesnt matter 'much' since the interview questions wont spend long if at all any time on them.
    2. Answer competency questions correctly to demonstrate you are 'ernst youn' or 'kpmg' esque.
    3. Be polite, friendly, articulate, and with a cleancut appearance.

Thats it.... People in interviews for larger firms are unlikely to be softedged giving you much credit for anything else since the 3 points above, in my opinion, are what makes or breaks your application.

Of course in order to answer the competency questions well, you will have to explain a time when.... etc.. and thats where your life experiences come in, not just because you have it on your cv.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or are there a lot of people asking "Am I good enough for the big 4?"

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.