Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by adamscybot)
    I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but am now unsure. Here are my AS grades:

Computing - A
    Electronics - A
    Maths (not further) - B
    Physics - B

Maths was particularly dissapointing(about 12 ums marks from A I think). I really don't know if I will even get an interview...or not..?

It's a difficult situation really. I'm not overly upset if the answer is yes, I will be rejected so don't be worried about being factual.
    You should mention in your Personal Statement any mitigating circumstances for why you're on a B in Maths. And then, they might give you an interview. If I'm being perfectly honest, lots of people get near 300 for their AS Maths, because it's very, very easy. They will want to know why/how you've managed to drop so many marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paneity)
    Well there are two routes into CompSci, one which is 50% NatSci (one part maths, one part experimental science of your choice) or 50% Maths (I think you apply to Maths with Computer Science and then transfer after your 1st year), which means doing most of the 1st year maths course, and isn't a very popular route.
    Just to finalise this:

There are 2 or 3 (depending on how you want to view it) computer science options.

1. a) Computer Science with X where X is an option chosen from a list of possible subjects; Physics being the most common (according to the admissions tutor on the open day, in any case). The final choice of 'X' isn't actually made until the first week of term. Your first year comprises 50% computer science, 25% maths for natural scientists, 25% X.

1. b) Computer Science with Mathematics. This differs from (a) in that most (all?) colleges want you to specify on your UCAS application, and may ask for STEP (the admissions tutor for Emmanuel on the open day said they would, but that it wasn't completely standardized across the colleges; Trinity responded to an email from me to the effect that they recommend applicants for the Mathematics option took at least one STEP paper to prepare them but that successful applicants would usually receive the standard offer for computer science as described in the subject notes). Here, your first year comprises 50% computer science, and the other 50% is drawn from the Mathematics Tripos (and you sit a couple of the Maths Tripos papers at the end of the year).

2. Natural Sciences. I don't know so much about this, but it's described as being more for those wishing to specialize in, say, physical sciences but also have at least a little exposure to degree-level computer science. You basically take Natural Sciences and study the Computer Science option for whatever percentage that is.

For the first two, you apply for G400 Computer Science. The last one, you'll apply for Natural Sciences, through whatever code that is. The Computer Science with Mathematics option is specifically referred to as not being designed as a route into the second-year Mathematics Tripos; the Natural Sciences option gives you a route either into NatSci or CompSci.

I may be wrong, especially since I'm just a prospective applicant rather than an actual student, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, and there seemed to be some confusion so I hope this clears that up a little.

ReputationRep:
    So far, I think im gonna give it a shot. If I didn't apply, It would niggle me. Also, the 5 I have are the 5 I really want to go to. I would have trouble filling in the slot camrbidge would open.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

A suggestion I'd make is to have a look at the Oxford entrance tests: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospectiv...specimen-tests

My guess is they are not dissimilar to the kind of thing you might get asked in an interview at Cambridge, and they will give you an idea of both the standard of maths expected and the kind of computing question you might be asked.

ReputationRep:
    Its a real shame, as I in physics i as 8 UMS away, 12 in maths. Im resitting one physics module and 1 maths. Should this go on the reference or would it make things look worse?
    You have to give them your module scores anyway, so no need to put it in the reference. If I was you I'd go for it, rather that than worry about what ifs for evermore. (Perhaps slightly melodramatic)

(Original post by Tom)
    And indeed even worse grades than that, too.
    However: CompSci at Cambridge is part of the NatSci course, and you really do need good maths. Not having Further Maths is a big problem already, but getting a B in standard Maths at AS will make it tough for them to consider you I'm afraid.

With a really good PS you might still get an interview, though, and from there on the interview performance could potentially give you a chance of an offer - especially if the Maths is being remarked or resat to bring it up to an A. But realistically if you were very keen on applying to Cambridge you might be best off applying post-A-level, with an A in both Further Maths and standard Maths to put you on a level playing field with other applicants.
    What grades were those?

ReputationRep:
    ABC. Also another with AAC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admascybot)
    I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but am now unsure. Here are my AS grades:
    My brother got an interview for Medicine at Downing with AABB at AS; just make sure you get a three A prediction, and let them know on the SAQ that you're planning to resit some modules.

I also think different colleges have different policies on this; I read somewhere that Magdelene interview all applicants - someone correct me if I'm wrong - and they'll be others like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatea)
    My brother got an interview for Medicine at Downing with AABB at AS; just make sure you get a three A prediction, and let them know on the SAQ that you're planning to resit some modules.

I also think different colleges have different policies on this; I read somewhere that Magdelene interview all applicants - someone correct me if I'm wrong - and they'll be others like that.
    Thats good to hear, seeing as I'm applying to Downing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Really? I knew that there were possibilities for NatScis to do a CompSci course and vice-versa but I didn't think they were part of the same programme...
    First year Computer Science is effectively taking one or two Computer Science courses from within the Natsci course system. We go into our hardcore stuff second year. This means you'll be taking Natsci maths and a bench subject (physics/chemistry/biology of cells, etc) in addition to Computer Science in first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunderX)
    First year Computer Science is effectively taking one or two Computer Science courses from within the Natsci course system. We go into our hardcore stuff second year. This means you'll be taking Natsci maths and a bench subject (physics/chemistry/biology of cells, etc) in addition to Computer Science in first year.
    Good to know, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also applying for computer science this year. To give you some perspective, I have 485/600 on my maths A-level and am doing further maths, predicted A, and apparently I'll be lucky to get in. I decided it was still worth a try though, and there's no harm in trying.

EDIT: Oops, I hope there aren't rules about reviving 4 week old threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fat Controller)
    EDIT: Oops, I hope there aren't rules about reviving 4 week old threads.
    :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    :hmmm:
    :fatcontroller:

ReputationRep:
    I got in for History with an A in History, a B in Religious Studies and a B in Philsophy. Worth a go. Anyone who is of the standard to apply to Cambrige is BOUND to get an offer from at least a few other Universities on their list so I would say it's probably worth having a go.

ReputationRep:
    In Guardian today....

Cambridge appears to have turned around the dearth of students wanting to study computer science this year, with the subject seeing the highest increase in applications (53%), along with philosophy (43%), and architecture (30%).

Ho hum.....
    Looks like little bro has a bit of competition! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    I got in for History with an A in History, a B in Religious Studies and a B in Philsophy. Worth a go. Anyone who is of the standard to apply to Cambrige is BOUND to get an offer from at least a few other Universities on their list so I would say it's probably worth having a go.
    did you apply post a level? did you do an AEA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    I envy everything about you. :p:

ReputationRep:

Computing - A
    Electronics - A
    Maths (not further) - B
    Physics - B
    How will you cope with the maths in comp sci ?
    Cam's comp sci is very, very maths intensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK2)
    Does the math course really have excel usage?
    mathematica is not excel.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.