Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs_Sylar)

imagine if you went to the past and killed alexander graham bell or thomas edison etc what would life be like now?! i bet we wouldnt even have computers and stuff
    To be fair Im sure if some killed Bell and he hadnt created the phone, someone else would have, given time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    But the chain of events leading from killing the butterfly could potentially be significant..
    I guess I was sortof misled by Heroes
    lol I doubt that killing a butterfly would be very significant. On a very very small scale you might make one spider hungrier than it would have been if it had eaten the butterfly, but I wouldn't really put more significance on it than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    Like in Harry Potter :eek: I think that makes the most sense.. So you think it is impossible to change the past?
    How about Lost's theory of time travel, where your 'present' mind temporarily replaces your 'past' mind, but the actions you will take in the past already happened in the past.. if you get what I mean, watch Lost :mad:

Anyways.. yeh..
    It was in harry potter? Paha.

And yes, I do believe that. Although time travel is impossible..

....until someone invents it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I think the take-home-message here is that you need to stop basing opinions/ taking in everything and anything that films and TV programs are telling you for entertainment purposes.
    Lol.. entertainment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there are its all their imagination. Especially not Lost, that theory about time travel makes sense, if time travel was possible..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    lol I doubt that killing a butterfly would be very significant. On a very very small scale you might make one spider hungrier than it would have been if it had eaten the butterfly, but I wouldn't really put more significance on it than that.
    Not even in a really long time frame? Like if I killed an animal 2000 years ago, there would be more chain of events that haven't occurred because of that and new chain of events that could potentially be significant, thought I agree that killing a butterfly can't lead to 3 million deaths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    Lol.. entertainment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there are its all their imagination. Especially not Lost, that theory about time travel makes sense, if time travel was possible..
    Just, no... it's not a theory... it's fiction. Grrrah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shooting_Star)
    To be fair Im sure if some killed Bell and he hadnt created the phone, someone else would have, given time.
    If it took really long to create a phone, would it have prevented other inventors who collaborated using a phone to.. not have collaborated therefore leading to fewer inventions? Or would that person somehow create a better invention?
    You could go mad thinking about this..:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)

PS. Yes, this thread was inspired by Heroes, which was greeeat!!
    Yehhhh!
    Some of the best TV ive watched in ages really. Definatly the best season premiere ive seen this year, and i watch quite a few of TV shows from across the pond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    Not even in a really long time frame? Like if I killed an animal 2000 years ago, there would be more chain of events that haven't occurred because of that and new chain of events that could potentially be significant, thought I agree that killing a butterfly can't lead to 3 million deaths
    okay, I suppose....

kill 1 butterfly = hungry spider
    spider dies of hunger = hungry bird
    bird dies of hunger = orphaned baby birds
    man finds baby birds and takes them in to take care of them
    birds catch bird flu
    man catches bird flu and goes into hospital
    everybody in hospital catches bird flu
    pandemonium begins as contageous deadly disease spreads around the world
    millions of people die
    :yep:

worst case scenario of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    If it took really long to create a phone, would it have prevented other inventors who collaborated using a phone to.. not have collaborated therefore leading to fewer inventions? Or would that person somehow create a better invention?
    You could go mad thinking about this..:woo:
    aahh its a mind boggle! never thought of it like that.
    I quite like thinking about stuff like this. But then after a while it kinda freaks me out, or starts to hurt my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    okay, I suppose....

kill 1 butterfly = hungry spider
    spider dies of hunger = hungry bird
    bird dies of hunger = orphaned baby birds
    man finds baby birds and takes them in to take care of them
    birds catch bird flu
    man catches bird flu and goes into hospital
    everybody in hospital catches bird flu
    pandemonium begins as contageous deadly disease spreads around the world
    millions of people die
    :yep:

worst case scenario of course
    Don't we all love worst case senarios :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shooting_Star)
    aahh its a mind boggle! never thought of it like that.
    I quite like thinking about stuff like this. But then after a while it kinda freaks me out, or starts to hurt my head.
    Yeh, I'm gonna take a break from answering.. and eat.
    OMG, will this change my life because missing an interesting response will lead to - need to stop thinking like this..:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    Yeh, I'm gonna take a break from answering.. and eat.
    OMG, will this change my life because missing an interesting response will lead to - need to stop thinking like this..:p:
    I know, I'm going to be thinking like this all evening now... 'omg I've just had the last slice of pizza thats going to change my life because....'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rehehelly)
    I always thought if someone did go back to the past and do something that would evidently change the future, that it would already of happened.

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

If a time machine was invented like 100 years from now, the effects of whatever it was used for would of already happened the present day.

Makes sense in my head since I know what i'm talking about, hard to explain.

fyi:
    Its called a time paradox.

ReputationRep:
    Your all aware that the butterfly effect isnt always about butterflys. yes its the theory that if SOMETHING as small as a butterfly flaps its wings it could create a hurricane on the other side of the world. But its all about hypothetical "butterflys" which could be anything.
    Smaller than killing hitler. Something like stopping evolution or something. Its not always about the damnded butterflies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philip67)
    Your all aware that the butterfly effect isnt always about butterflys. yes its the theory that if SOMETHING as small as a butterfly flaps its wings it could create a hurricane on the other side of the world. But its all about hypothetical "butterflys" which could be anything.
    Smaller than killing hitler. Something like stopping evolution or something. Its not always about the damnded butterflies!
    Uh.. if you stopped evolution, none of the modern world would exist. It would be one big jungle. no internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    Uh.. if you stopped evolution, none of the modern world would exist. It would be one big jungle. no internet.
    Where would the plants in the jungle have come from if evolution didn't happen? There would be no life at all.

ReputationRep:
    next time a spider enters my room I'll think carefully about what could happen if I:
    a) kill it
    b) release it into the wild
    c) let it live in my room

aye right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    "Nobody suspects the butterfly!"
    And that is pretty much my email address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevtp)
    What would happen if you killed Hitler?:shock: Would it be pointless because another dictator will take his place, perhaps an even more cruel one? If we somehow attempted to change the past, will it lead to a worse or better future? :hmmm:
    You'd be a moron to have killed Hitler, I hate it when people say that would have been a good thing. Sure; Hitler was a *******, but he was just the face in the papers and the signature on the forms, for the large part. If you'd killed Hitler, a good hundred other far more evil *******s would have stepped out of the shadows. And ones a damn sight smarter and less impulsive than Hitler, too.

As for the butterfly effect, I don't really believe it's that important. Sure, some of the big things in history would have changed, but I'm sure a lot of them would have happened eventually anyway.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.