Turn on thread page Beta

Do your parents have a holiday home? watch

• View Poll Results: Do your parents have a holiday home?
    Yes
    24.62%
    No
    75.38%

ReputationRep:
    yeeeep apartment in the french alps, go there a lot in the winter and occasionally rent it out to friends.

My parents are in the process of building theirs in Jamaica.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have one that is being rented out.

ReputationRep:
    haha. As if my folks are rich enough to afford another place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    because if they cant afford to support their kids whilst owning a holiday home, they cant afford a holiday home IMO.
    Im not getting into this argument. If people have kids they should take responsibility for them, even if that means giving up the villa...
    But as I say, not getting into it, no point here...
    That first sentence doesn't even make sense. My parents like I said have a holiday home in france, which has been done up with their hard earned money. They can afford the holiday home but still support me but I don't see why they should carry on supporting me. When I can fully support myself whilst in university and in future life etc it doesn't mean they're not there for me....because they are there all the time

I only expect them to support my 3 younger brothers, who are still are in school etc and will need support throughout their school/college lives money wise unless they get jobs and obviously their future lives...with life situations they will come across.
    They don't ignore the children in this family at all they're there for us. All they're doing is trying to have a nice experience. and a place to go when they retire.

ReputationRep:
    No.

My grandparents used to.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    no, no neither of my parents has a holiday home.

My uncle does though - he has an apartment in Tenerife. He uses it about twice a year and rents it out the rest of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of - I only have one house (well my dad does anyway) but he shares a villa with my grandparents in Spain; so we go during half terms/summer holidays and they go whilst I am at school and during the summer holidays.

I often take friends with me if they pay the air fare.

The only reason we have this is because when my grandparents built the house it was with the intention of my great grandparents going with them but then they died and my grandparents had 3 spare bedrooms. So we paid half towards the house and we share it.

If that made no sense - sorry :P:

ReputationRep:
    No, i'm lucky enough to go on holidays as it is.

ReputationRep:
    My grandad has a flat in Cyprus, I go every year to see my family that live in Cyprus I love it!!

ReputationRep:
    My parents have a caravan. Which they force me to spend four nights in, every year, over Christmas Day. For no reason. It's usually in Wales or somewhere rainy, on a tiny campsite the usually family-business owners give up hope for over the Winter.

When they called to book the caravan lot thing this year, the person on the phone thought it was a prank call. "... Over Christmas? Are you absolutely sure? You'll be the only people there..."

I tried to get out of it this year, I really did. But I got met with cries of "but you'll ruin Christmas!", "It's Django's [the dog's] first Christmas!", "why do you want to spend Christmas alone-- we just don't understand!" Living with clinically insane people is a pain in the ass.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    because if they cant afford to support their kids whilst owning a holiday home, they cant afford a holiday home IMO.
    ...but you aren't talking about kids. You're talking about 18/19 year old adults.

ReputationRep:
    Yes (South Coast - Christchurch). Use it every few months. Not rented out (although that might change - current rental market is good and it's sitting empty most of the time:hmmmm2: )

they own another one besides ours. its not a holiday home though, just rented out

ReputationRep:
    No they don't. It's great to know that I'm in the majority here. :p:

ReputationRep:
    No they dont, far too poor to be able to afford another home, but my brother in law does, infact he has 2!. One is in Tenerife and I cant remember where the other one is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They use it about 2 months per year. I use it about 1-2 months a year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.