Turn on thread page Beta

Colin Powell backs Obama watch

(Original post by Bismarck)
    Yeah...I'd hate to state the obvious, but Lieberman supported McCain long before there were anyone took Obama seriously. It's why McCain considered making him the VP nominee. So are you going to try to explain away the 90% of black support Obama received during the primary, running against the wife of the "first black president" no less?
    There has never been a black president. The black population in america is significantly poorer and have shorter life expectancy than the white.
    Rightly or wrongly there is a feeling that they are being held back, suppressed even. As do women.
    Similary you get a similar feeling on astate level. Alaskans feeling they geta raw deal from the rest of america in terms of trade, federal funding etc.

Hence why you get this form of collective voting. Hence why the addition of Palin is sure to give a massive boost of voting from alaska, and boost voting from women.

I don't think it is as raw as racism and sexism, just a feeling that these are people thy can identify with. Does that mean they would vote for a black guy regardless of his ideals - for a small minority probably yes. But for most its a case of if all other things were equal they would probably errr towards 'their own'.

But at the end of the day no black guy is going to vote a black guy over a white guy if he thinks he is going to be less well off because of it.
    And at the end of the day isn't that what most voters do - vote for whoever will most improve their lives?

So 90% of blacks in the Democratic primary think that Obama would help them more than Hillary Clinton, despite their overwhelming support for Clinton before Obama entered the race?
    Yes, but none of that is proof of racism.

They all thought Clinton leading the democrats would be fantastic. And then Obama entered the race and they thought he would be even better.

If You offer me a choice between Lemon Sorbet and Chocolate Ice cream, I'm overhwlemingly going for the ice cream. If you then tell me I could instead have cheesecake, then nuts to the ice cream, its cheesecake all the way.

And yes, I am hungry.

On what grounds would 90% think that, considering that people of the same economic demographics (unionize, poor, low level of education) overwhelmingly backed Clinton? You don't think it's a bit odd that Obama's supoprt base were: the rich, the highly educated, the young, and blacks? Which of those 4 doesn't belong?
    Maybe it because republicans like yourself telling them they don't belong that they are so overwhelmingly democratic.

and maybe they flocked to Obama vs Clinton, not because he was balck, but because she was a lying banshee?

ReputationRep:
    Because he inspired them, in part no doubt due to his race. Likewise some people will have, in the absence of any substantial policy differences, voted for Clinton because they were suspicious of Obama, and race may have been a factor in that suspicion (whether consciously or not). I could stretch it further and say a few white people might have voted for the black man because of the feelgood factor. The suggestion that the black community were uniquely affected by race when making their choice is untrue.

In the main election now, black support for Obama is little more than would be expected given their past voting habits and the gop-> dem trend of the past four years.

Finally, the suggestion that Co-lin Powell is voting based on race is lolworthy. As if.

I'm a Democrat. And what does this have to do with who they support in the Democratic primary?

They didn't seem to have a problem with her before. So once again, why did blacks, who perfectly match the demographics of Clinton supports overwhelmingly support Obama?
    Perhaps because they are fed up with politician dynasties/families?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory_boy)
    A 'mini-landslide'? How many electoral college votes would constitute a mini-landslide? Don't you just have a big win (landslide) and a win (which is anything under that)?

I think this election will be a lot closer than most people think. Especially in some of the battleground states and states which are traditionally Republican but which are 'leaning' Democrat. Some of the figures that the national press are quoting each day are rather unhelpful. Especially those which use RealClearPolitics (RCP) as their source. RCP basically does an average of lots of individual surveys. However, some of those individual surveys are more helpful than others and are more reliable than others. You can have one individual survey that is very reliable that shows McCain leading by, say, 8 points and lots of other less reliable surveys showing Obama winning by the narrowest of margins. West Virginia is a case on point. A traditionally solid red state which I think will vote for McCain in November but the press are making it seem as though Obama is going to win big-time there.
    Try www.pollster.com - you can ignore the sources making up the electoral map as you wish. However if you just use Gallup, Rasmussen etc the result is still largely the same.

ReputationRep:
    I have no opinion or nothing to add, just that my dad worked for/under Powell and knows he's a very nice/honest man :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No, it won't make a difference. Powell is only doing it for attention as well. Plus, he's already said that he would have a hard time endorsing McCain because OBama is black and his children said they would never forgive him if he didn't endorse Obama. I don't have to write down the conclusion of that, I think you get it yourselves

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.