Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No, but surely you can see the lettering if it is four times larger?
    Not really, no.

Did they actually agree to buy the 20 inch monitors? Is it a case of them not receiving them or haven't they been ordered?
    They've finally ordered them. (why it's taken since May to sort this out I really don't know):rolleyes:

They've still not sorted the paper issue out though. And are telling me to do it myself. Well, I would do, but no-one has given me the resources to do so.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Not really, no.
    So how will a 20" screen help?

ReputationRep:
    Titch, what are you using just now? Why can't you use that for your work?

I don't always get a computer (even if I need one), I have to do something else until I can get on a computer. Sometimes I can do the computer related stuff at home, sometimes I can't. I need to put up with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using my own computer. There's no way I can transport that to & from college 3 days a week and I don't see why I should have to.

TheOneWho - can you by any chance actually use computers with 15" monitors?

ReputationRep:
    So why can't you do what needs to be done on a computer at home and then save it and take it into uni?

Yes, I can use them, but not for very long. My eyes tend to start hurting and/or I get headaches. I can live with it though.

What will you do when you leave university? Do you really expect to get given everything to you on a plate?

ReputationRep:
    They won't allow me to do that. Besides, I would miss alot if i did that. (I live 1 hour away)

All I'm asking them to do is make reasonable adjustments - how is it unreasonable to ask them to buy stuff that I've been told I need? (By a medical consultant who knows a lot more about my eyes than college do)

ReputationRep:
    Has your consultant written a letter to that effect? The college might take more notice then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they have a budget to stick to (which will probably be getting tighter all the time) and definitely won't have an unlimited amount to spend on one student. The pot needs to be shared around. I'd say it was unreasonable for them to have to buy something that will be used by one student for the small amount of time they will be there.

Why can't you? And why would you miss a lot? You'd do it at home, in the evening or when you are not in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Has your consultant written a letter to that effect? The college might take more notice then.
    They have at least 3 pieces of medical evidence that state:
    - I'm registered as sight impaired (They do have a cop of my certificate)
    - My vision is 6/24 & 6/12
    - I'm short sighted & have Congenital Nystagmus

I'm pretty sure they have a budget to stick to (which will probably be getting tighter all the time) and definitely won't have an unlimited amount to spend on one student.
    It's only going to cost them an extra £20. Hardly breaking the bank is it?

I'd say it was unreasonable for them to have to buy something that will be used by one student for the small amount of time they will be there.
    There are other students there that need them as well.

Why can't you? And why would you miss a lot? You'd do it at home, in the evening or when you are not in uni.
    Because we sometimes do group work. Like I've said, most of the teachers talk for a bit, set us work and then talk more. I ahve also been told I'm not allowed to do my work at home.

I'm not at uni - if I was, then this wouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that your consultant has written a letter stating your disabilities. Would your consultant write a letter stating that in their opinion you cannot do any work unless your monitor is "20?

ReputationRep:
    £20 for a new monitor, for printing stuff on different paper to everyone else, for large print books? Wow.

Uni, college, whatever. I doubt my uni would be keen to do all that. There's a budget they have to stick to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    You'd do it at home, in the evening or when you are not in uni.
    Minor point but Titch isn't at uni, she's at a further education college (this thread concerns whether or not she sould apply to uni)

If she as at uni she'd get a fairer deal. A thorough needs assessment (with DSA paid for by her LEA) plus, in many cases, excellent disability equipment at the uni. At Durham she'd be entitled to use a room with a host of equipment (22inch screen monitors, text magnifying software, magnifier and a host of other software) all in one pre-bookable private room (all funded by Northern Rock ) Other unis have similar facilties.

However, at college, she doesn't have any of this or entitled to Disabled students allowance. I do have some sympathy with her situation. Although I think she was possibly being a little unreasonable in her earlier thread it does seem as though she's having a rough ride.

By the way Titch, you are female aren't you? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    By the way Titch, you are female aren't you? :o:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    This what I've been thinking about soing, but that would either mean moving out (I don't have the money to do that) or travel for at least 2 ours each day.
    I travel for 2 hours a day. It's going to be worth it if they do make the adjustments. However how do you even know whether they would? It seems a LOT for them to do in all honesty, no matter whether you claim it would set them back £20 or not.

I'm using my own computer. There's no way I can transport that to & from college 3 days a week and I don't see why I should have to.

TheOneWho - can you by any chance actually use computers with 15" monitors?
    Well why don't you buy a laptop which would fit your requirements.

And the reason you should have to is because, if you're getting state education, there isn't exactly going to be an endless amount of resources, time and money. What you don't probably realise is that it isn't just a case of getting a monitor, it is getting the monitor, having it checked to comply with the laws (health and safety etc), having it specifically to your needs and then facing the hassle of every other student who wants something specially made too, as otherwise it would be seen as "unfair".

They won't allow me to do that. Besides, I would miss alot if i did that. (I live 1 hour away)

All I'm asking them to do is make reasonable adjustments - how is it unreasonable to ask them to buy stuff that I've been told I need? (By a medical consultant who knows a lot more about my eyes than college do)
    It's not unreasonable to ASK, it's unreasonable to expect EVERYTHING without negotiation. I'd say get your consultant to write a letter, or at least have a meeting with your parents and the college to decide a suitable course of action. If you've done this before, do it again and say you'll have to withdraw from the college if something isn't done. But you also have to negotiate, as much as we'd all like to think, NO college is going to be able to serve every student's needs to perfection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Well why don't you buy a laptop which would fit your requirements.
    I have a computer that works perfctly fine and don't have £900+ to spend on a new laptop.

I'd say get your consultant to write a letter, or at least have a meeting with your parents and the college to decide a suitable course of action. If you've done this before, do it again and say you'll have to withdraw from the college if something isn't done. But you also have to negotiate, as much as we'd all like to think, NO college is going to be able to serve every student's needs to perfection.
    I've already had a meeting with them, which really was a waste of time. SU are more helpful than them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Cool :p:

I should also say that altoough I could see both sides I still didn't like the treatment you received in your earlier thread (last month). It did seem to me as if people were ganging up on her (with no real knoweldge of her situation or disability in general) So take that as a warning guys.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be hostile, I just dislike it when people try to get everything they want for nothing. Or without accepting compromise. It's a part of life.

Don't people doing graphics subjects or music production, or even film production need to get their own computers? It is widely known that Macs are the industry standard and they hardly come cheap!

ReputationRep:
    I have a computer that works perfctly fine and don't have £900+ to spend on a new laptop.

I've already had a meeting with them, which really was a waste of time. SU are more helpful than them.
    ...SU? :o:

You could probably get a quite cheap laptop, which would do for uni too because it sounds likely you'd need it then. Very few laptops, unless they're really high end ones, are £900+ anymore.

But otherwise I'd honestly advise another meeting with your college, there's nothing to lose. Instead of just providing them with little titbits of evidence of your disability ask your consultant to write a letter about it, because if they don't listen to the evidence then it gets of serious concern to your consultant too. Also inform them that you'll have to leave if they're not going to make progress on it any time soon. Ask them first though what their plan of action is, and as I said before, negotiate with them. If they don't listen they ARE breaking the law. Give them a bit of time though to sort everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Don't people doing graphics subjects or music production, or even film production need to get their own computers? It is widely known that Macs are the industry standard and they hardly come cheap!
    Oh come on, you can't even draw a comparison there.

They chose that course out of choice. Titch didn't chose to have her disability. There is something called the Disability Discrimination Act too (which the college may be complying with but, if they are, very grudgingly).

ReputationRep:
    i hate my college.... i'm dropping out to do an open university course cos i am over 18 (im 19) and i will get to where i want to be quicker and i am better studying at home anyways

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.