The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The reason behind marrying an Asian person is this:

I generally conform to Asian culture.
I get on well with people who are similar to me.
I want my future partner to be similar to me, so that I get on well with them.
I want my future partner to generally conform to Asian culture.
Most people who conform to Asian culture are Asian.

To me it doesn't sound all that shallow. Although it's only because the probability of finding a good match with an Asian person is higher than with anyone else, by this logic. What I find shallow is when people automatically assume that a non-Asian person will not make a good match, and disregard them at a first glance. I'm personally not planning to marry someone Asian myself, because I've lived in this country all my life, and identify more with English culture, mostly. And people who have been brought up here generally can identify with the same culure as me, so it doesn't really matter what race they are. But for this reason, I probably wouldn't marry an African tribeswoman, because it's doubtful that we're going to have anything in common.

Asian parents often want their children to marry Asian people because non-Asian people are somewhat alien to them. They stereotype white people, thinking that in this country, they sleep around and get divorced, and they don't want their own child to get involved with such behaviour. (To be fair, this does happen a lot more often with white people than asian people). As such, they find it more difficult to trust them.

And some also want their children to marry Asian people, because all their friend's and relatives have married Asian people (by the logic I wrote above), and they don't want their child looking out of place. Because then, everyone else will notice, and start stereotyping the white person which their child has married.

And the parents have a big influence on who their child marries, because the child isn't deemed to be able to make an objective decision. The child is just going to marry whoever they fancy, or fall in love with. Whereas the parents are going to choose someone who they think will make a suitable, long-lasting spouse for their child in the long term.
does it matter who is advanced and who isnt :s-smilie:
Reply 42
How many asians are getting an arranged marriage?
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
utter ********. even as an anglo i can categorically say thats ridiculous

Mate, its the truth. Even within The West there are more advanced countries socially, I mean.
tazarooni89
The reason behind marrying an Asian person is this:

I generally conform to Asian culture.
I get on well with people who are similar to me.
I want my future partner to be similar to me, so that I get on well with them.
I want my future partner to generally conform to Asian culture.
Most people who conform to Asian culture are Asian.

To me that doesn't sound all that shallow. Although it's only because the probability of finding a good match with an Asian person is higher than with anyone else, by this logic. What I find shallow is when people automatically assume that a non-Asian person will not make a good match, and disregard them at a first glance.

Asian parents often want their children to marry Asian people because non-Asian people are somewhat alien to them. They stereotype white people, thinking that in this country, they sleep around and get divorced, and they don't want their own child to get involved with such behaviour. (To be fair, this does happen a lot more often with white people than asian people). As such, they find it more difficult to trust them.

And some also want their children to marry Asian people, because all their friend's and relatives have married Asian people (by the logic I wrote above), and they don't want their child looking out of place. Because then, everyone else will notice, and start stereotyping the white person which their child has married.

And the parents have a big influence on who their child marries, because the child isn't deemed to be able to make an objective decision. The child is just going to marry whoever they fancy, or fall in love with. Whereas the parents are going to choose someone who they think will make a suitable, long-lasting spouse for their child in the long term.

scrap my previous post answering this thread, thats exactly what i wanted to say,and you read my mind! :yep:
Reply 45
Lucy Pevensie
You have to take into account economic and immigration/citizenship issues as well. Not everybody marries for love, some do to get british citizenship.

Im gonna get so spanked for thiss, but I like straight talk.:yep:

Not really tbh. Some would like to, but then have to find someone willing who has citizenship over here, it's not that easy, us British Asians are slightly more picky than the old ones.
i_<3_you
does it matter who is advanced and who isnt :s-smilie:

No, but the topic of this thread means the argument has ended up taking that path. Any culture which does not accept inter-racial marriage is not advanced.
KayleeLand
But why is it so important? Surely the persons qualities are what counts?

I am very cultural, love other cultures and embrace the heritage of all. I am no less nor more than you - but why can we not date ?

It's absolutely not about being better or worse- I'm not into ranking races against each other. It's about shared values, history, culture, expectations and ambitions.

People are (un)attracted to others for a variety of reasons, and while most people will understand someone who would not want to date, lets say, an overweight person, why is it any more superficial to not want to date someone outside your cultural background?
Big Kabz
How many asians are getting an arranged marriage?

i have a feeling i will :ninja: and i have nothing against it, and will be happy with whoever my parents chose for me. That will only happen if i dont find the right person when my time comes.
Why is the Asian community so afraid of a relationship with the very people they live on the same street with?
Dirac Delta Function
It's absolutely not about being better or worse- I'm not into ranking races against each other. It's about shared values, history, culture, expectations and ambitions.

People are (un)attracted to others for a variety of reasons, and while most people will understand someone who would not want to date, lets say, an overweight person, why is it any more superficial to not want to date someone outside your cultural background?

What does being of the same cultural background give you? It doesnt give instant stability nor love.... :s-smilie: I am bewildered by this thread.
Reply 51
KayleeLand
Why is the Asian community so afraid of a relationship with the very people they live on the same street with?

It's a two-way streak. If I walk down the street in particular areas of the city, I get funny looks from white people.
Reply 52
No arranged marriage for me, I don't 'intend' to marry any particular race.
KayleeLand

i have no idea... its probably to do with personal choice, and parents..... PARENTS play a big role in this, as does culture and relatives.
thats what i think :ninaj:
srana
It's a two-way streak. If I walk down the street in particular areas of the city, I get funny looks from white people.

OUR city! Give me an area then? I'd also like to say that it is really narrow-minded to label all races this way. I believe if the person is open minded, liberal and good-hearted, then race is irrelevant.

I go to SParkhill/Soho Road/ Ladypool Road and feel welcome. I go to Handworth/ Aston, and feel slightly scared but welcome none the less. I would never crossed out a person as a potential partner just because of their race or not sharing the same cultural background.
i_<3_you
i have no idea... its probably to do with personal choice, and parents..... PARENTS play a big role in this, as does culture and relatives.
thats what i think :ninaj:

Yeh parents are important, but I fail to understand why mommy and daddy should say who I sleep with :s-smilie:
Reply 56
god people are completely missing the point here.
KayleeLand
What does being of the same cultural background give you? It doesnt give instant stability nor love.... :s-smilie: I am bewildered by this thread.

Not love, obviously, but a sense of familiarity and "shared destiny" for want of a better phrase, and yes that does lead to stability, especially if expectations of what a relationship entails are on the same wavelength owing to shared cultural values. And I am more attracted to someone from the same background compared to someone who's not, ceteris paribus.
KayleeLand
Yeh parents are important, but I fail to understand why mommy and daddy should say who I sleep with :s-smilie:

its how most of the asians are like. If i dont fall in love with anyone by the time im supposed to be getting married off then, ill go for arranged marriage. Mainly coz i know the person who gets chosen, is right for me, and i know my parents wont chose someone for me who isnt right. And i can say no if i want to. atm im happy with love and arranged marriage. and have nothing against them
Reply 59
KayleeLand
OUR city! Give me an area then? I'd also like to say that it is really narrow-minded to label all races this way. I believe if the person is open minded, liberal and good-hearted, then race is irrelevant.

I go to SParkhill/Soho Road/ Ladypool Road and feel welcome. I go to Handworth/ Aston, and feel slightly scared but welcome none the less. I would never crossed out a person as a potential partner just because of their race or not sharing the same cultural background.

HAHA, I live in/near one of the places you just said... glad we make you feel welcome. :biggrin: :p:

Well, I cheated a bit, but I meant more Shirley/Solihull or so.

Ultimately it's all down to how individuals act, you can't label everyone under one... uhhh, label.

Latest

Trending

Trending