Turn on thread page Beta

Do you use your Dr title watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Touche)

And my dad's bigger than yours.
    Oh please. You proceed to lecture me on the distinction between a US and UK MD when it is abundantly clear that I have demonstrated that I know the difference already, in the post you chose to quote in fact.

Don't be so childish and learn to read posts properly before criticising them.

ReputationRep:
    I think i will pencil in a PhD in five years time into my diary
    I dont quite mind being recognised for my achievement but i will have to insist on people calling me Dr afterall im more qualified than them so they should respect it

ReputationRep:
    if i ever do a phd i will definately start using the Dr. on things like immigration forms and bank details. would never correct anyone if they got it wrong though thats just rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Are you sure it's a proper pentameter?
    Just because it's female doesn't mean you should prick it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Just because it's female doesn't mean you should prick it.
    Well, does it not bleed?

ReputationRep:
    Well, does it not bleed?

ReputationRep:
    my uncle has a PhD but doesn't use the title as he feels to young to be a proper one
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK, on second thoughts, maybe it was a bad idea to quote Shylock in this context...

ReputationRep:
    OK, on second thoughts, maybe it was a bad idea to quote Shylock in this context...
    Mmmyes.

I was hoping for some sonnet 20 (or 75).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mmmyes.

I was hoping for some sonnet 20 (or 75).
    You should have dropped slightly more obvious hints, then. I haven't studied the sonnets very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Touche)
    Am a surgeon but I use my first name with patients/nurses/other doctors. Dr only gets used when someone's being obstructive (usually some kinda manager/receptionist).

Overusing Dr is a little pretentious IMO... Have gone back to Mr officially now anyway :P
    I've never understood that, why when you train as a surgeon, you revert back to Mr? It's always confused me !

ReputationRep:
    Meh... PhD. I'd much rather be a DPhil

ReputationRep:
    You should have dropped slightly more obvious hints, then. I haven't studied the sonnets very much.
    I thought Sonnet 20 was famous for all that feminine business?

My God, I am becoming detached from reality. Famous = Peter André and Fred West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrunNewYork)
    I think i will pencil in a PhD in five years time into my diary
    I dont quite mind being recognised for my achievement but i will have to insist on people calling me Dr afterall im more qualified than them so they should respect it
    Except all the other people who also have PhDs. Chances are, if you do get one, you'll be working in an environment where many people have them. More people in my office have PhDs than don't, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    But in fact you (and the Friends writers) have got that the wrong way round. A 'real' doctor is someone who has a PhD - a Doctor of Philosophy. A medical doctor doesn't usually have a PhD, and is referred to as a doctor in error, really. If we get pedantic about it, the only real doctors are PhD holders.
    leftpondian medical doctors have an MD as their registerable qualification so a leftpondian medicla doctor is a 'real' doctor unlike the double bachelors rightpondian ones...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought Sonnet 20 was famous for all that feminine business?
    Meh, I suppose so. But I never really focused that much on "all that feminine business" or the sonnets. I suppose I ought to read them again...:o:
    Damn you for alerting me to yet another point in which I'm woefully inadequate.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting and important point about the title Mr (or Miss, Mrs etc.) is that they are titles only for use by people who have no other title. Hence, a Doctor of Philosophy cannot correctly use Mr etc. - they aren't entitled to it. Rather, they have two choices:

i) Address themselves as Dr <whomever>
    ii) Address themselves as <whomever>

Titles are optional, after all; and if one wishes to use one, and one has been accorded a title, that is the one one shall use.

So, in my case, I put the title Dr if someone asks for one, but am generally known by my first name - I don't expect people to grovel after me calling me Dr YAP, nor would I previously have expected them to address me as Mr YAP, I'm not that formal a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YAP)
    An interesting and important point about the title Mr (or Miss, Mrs etc.) is that they are titles only for use by people who have no other title. Hence, a Doctor of Philosophy cannot correctly use Mr etc. - they aren't entitled to it.
    Interestingly, the courts have always taken a different view. A judge always refers to a barrister as Mr/Miss (unless he/she is a peer), even if they have a doctoral degree or a medical degree conferring honorary use of the title.

The only exception is for holders of an LLD or DCL, who would be referred to as Dr.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a PhD, but I'd probably keep to being called by my first name. If I'm filling out a form on the Internet with my name and address, I'd probably use Mr, or suffice to say, I won't be complaining if there's no Dr option.

ReputationRep:
    Only in the UK, though, right? I'm pretty sure German "doctors" have to have done actual PhDs at some point.
    In Germany most doctors do a PHD after finishing their normal degree. It just looks better on the plate outside their door.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.