The "I'm thinking of picking up a new instrument" thread. Watch

Yuna47
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm having second thoughts about the oboe again...

It seems that every time I go to a concert I wish I was a rock star :p: and I'm now really wanting a new bass guitar... What else are student loans for? :yep:

laurakate1988 - you go girl! I'd be happy to reach grade 6 on anything nevermind grade 8 Good on ya! It's something for ya to aim for, when you achieve your mission... What's gonna be the first new instrument you will think about getting/trying?
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd love to learn the Viola. I have Grade 5 Theory knowledge and have played Double Bass in the past, and still play guitar. Are stringed instruments difficult to self-teach?
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by happy-and-lost)
I'd love to learn the Viola. I have Grade 5 Theory knowledge and have played Double Bass in the past, and still play guitar. Are stringed instruments difficult to self-teach?
id like to believe tha tif one string instrument makes sense then so will the others

for self teaching violin, i used a book called adbracadabra violin...i believe they do a viola series too...the violin one was massively helpful
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hi Yuna47,

i am thinking of the electric guitar at the mome, I'd love to do the drums also, omg and the clarinet would be well worth doing as a sax and recorder player anyways...omg or maybe the flute

so to answer your question i base my choice on two things
a) impulse window shopping and sometimes, B) how likely it is i'll pick the instrument up quickly based on what I already play

it's almost becoming less about talent and more about an OCD to play soooo amny instruments, I actually quite enjoy the feeling of taking grade exams...omg i'm bad lol!
Yuna47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
it's almost becoming less about talent and more about an OCD to play soooo amny instruments, I actually quite enjoy the feeling of taking grade exams...omg i'm bad lol!
So the instrument OCD thing isn't just me then! :p: Good to know! I'm running out of instruments I would like a shot at that I haven't already bought on a whim (is that the word?).

Things to try: cello, oboe, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, piccolo (it's been a while, I'd also need earplugs for that!) and mibbes and alto or bass flute, but the expense This is why I need to get through uni, it was never about the money before... But when you have an expensive addiction like buying musical instruments... :p:

I think the sense of achievement at taking grade exams would be awesome, but I was always too terrified
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
but...the fear of doing a grade exam is what makes it so worthwhile if it goes well...have a go, tis a great way to assess your playing at a measurbale standard

i was thinking about hapr last night but i'd be badddd lol

when i buy a new instrument I ask if it will support me into and through the stage of being an advanced player...id rather have a few quality instruments that i get very good at rather than looooads (for now anyways)

are you like me in terms of how, uni gives you a fair bit of spare time and because you're unlikely to see such time again, you're trying to do musically what you can now...i know i am...i only did piano and sax to grade 5 standard back when i started music, oh and ab theory grade 5
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have musical instrument OCD in a fairly big way. We have over 30 instruments in our house atm.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wooo! omg that's soooo cool, so you've got like a playground of choice there...mega lucky
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not all of them are mine mind :p:

If you search through my threads then you'll find a list of them. POst your own

EDIT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post12951305
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right, I've ordered a violin (violas are too expensive) and the Abracadabra Violin book, as it'll probably only be another 3 months or so before neighbours start moving into my block. Any advice?
Yuna47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are you like me in terms of how, uni gives you a fair bit of spare time and because you're unlikely to see such time again, you're trying to do musically what you can now...i know i am...i only did piano and sax to grade 5 standard back when i started music, oh and ab theory grade 5
Sadly, no I'm in pretty much 9 to 5 most days :cry: and staying in student accommodation with paper thin walls It's killing me, I just want to be able to pick up an instrument and mess about! I miss my messed up flute!

That's why I'm thinking a new bass would be a good idea, I wouldn't have to buy another amp and I'd leave my current one at home :p: I'd be able to hear what I'm doing with the advantage that my flat mates wouldn't want to kill me for excessive noise pollution!

One day, when I've tried all the instruments I want to try, I'm gonna pick a couple and try to really learn them (and hopefully work up the courage to do the grade exams too!) :yep:
Doublereedfreak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm falling waaay too much in love withthe cello. I really want to play it.
But with trying to be good enough on my proper instruments, I don't think it'd be possible
Plus, I'm really broke :/
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh I know. I would love to learn the cello. They do tend to be a bit expensive though
Gelliant Gutfright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ukebert)
bombarde
Best choice ever. I suppose you know David Pasquet? He's phenomenal.

That video just reminded me of how awesome the binioù kozh is. I'd love to learn it. During the festival interceltique de Lorient last year, I was walking down a street and heard two old men playing binioù kozh duets in the middle of the road. It was amazing hearing them in so close. They're definitely the highest pitched bagpipes I've ever heard. Alan Stivell is my favourite bombarde player, despite Pasquet's ingenuity.

I would love the learn the kaval, but I don't have enough patience. I saw a Bulgarian group (the Nedyalko Nedyalkov Quartet) earlier in the year, and the musicianship was phenomenal. Some of their time signature changes were dazzling. I love live folk music.
Doublereedfreak
Rep:
?
Oh I know. I would love to learn the cello. They do tend to be a bit expensive though
I'm just listening to lots of cello concertos. It's sound is incomparable. One day I'll get lessons.
Fornow, the lovely woodwinds will keep me going.
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gelliant Gutfright)
Best choice ever. I suppose you know David Pasquet? He's phenomenal.
I don't know many bombarde players at all, but that chap is amazing. I first heard it when a band called Ti Jaz used it.

And yeah, folk music is fantastic.

and DRfreak, that's just made me want to listen to the Dvorak

EDIT: Which is wonderful, as always.
Doublereedfreak
Rep:
?

and DRfreak, that's just made me want to listen to the Dvorak

EDIT: Which is wonderful, as always.
Urgh Elgar conerto no.1 played by Jacqueline Du Pre. Jeez!
Haha
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
re practice in uni rooms....i just look for free room space anywhere and everywhere...performing arts buildings, student union, friends houses, a few days at home etc

communal living is the musicians pain in the tone hole!
Yuna47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
re practice in uni rooms....i just look for free room space anywhere and everywhere...performing arts buildings, student union, friends houses, a few days at home etc

communal living is the musicians pain in the tone hole!
I'm not that brave that I'd actually want anyone to hear how bad I am! :p: But that's certainly an idea! The only good thing is that I'm gonna have to take a 52 week lease next time (summer school :eek:) but even though I'll only be there for 6 weeks in the summer, I'll virtually have the whole place to myself!

And because I won't (hopefully) have to take all my crap home with me then bring it back, the instruments will be coming with me! And hopefully a new bass guitar too :yep:

----------

If there's anyone reading this that plays bass guitar and knows a bit about them... A friend of mine has suggested a Fender Jazz bass (I know they're good all round) but I'm kinda drawn to the Ibanez SR500.

It's lightweight, has active pickups (that's where you need a battery, no? How long do they last?), medium frets... and it's aesthetically pleasing!

What do you guys think? It's actually a little cheaper than I was expecting to pay for a decent bass so I'm wondering if I could do better for a bit more money!
CatatonicStupor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yuna47)
If there's anyone reading this that plays bass guitar and knows a bit about them... A friend of mine has suggested a Fender Jazz bass (I know they're good all round) but I'm kinda drawn to the Ibanez SR500.

It's lightweight, has active pickups (that's where you need a battery, no? How long do they last?), medium frets... and it's aesthetically pleasing!

What do you guys think? It's actually a little cheaper than I was expecting to pay for a decent bass so I'm wondering if I could do better for a bit more money!
[/FONT]
1. What do you intend to play on it? That's the key question when talking about pickups. Who cares about 'battery life'. I've got myself a Shine Violin Bass, which is basically a Korean rip-off of McCartney's Hohner bass. It's passive though, so it sounds a lot tinnier, and therefore it's no good for anything like Indie Rock or Metal - it just doesn't have the 'oomph' in it.
[And I can honestly say, I never used an active bass for long enough to worry about battery life...]

2. I just looked up your SR, and Ibanez claims it's a passive bass, since both of the pick-ups are passive humbuckers.

I won't lie to you. I really don't like it aesthetically. It probably has a really nice tone to it, but it's not "all that". Then again, it's much better than a Jazz Bass. I hate those with a passion.
Personally, I'd say "shop around". You're on about it being relatively cheap - look outside of Fender and Ibanez, because there are some damned fine bass companies around doing some damn good, cheap basses. I swear by Shine, I really do - and my latest bass was only £180, when the Hohner model is well up into the £500 range.

If you want a good solid tone, get yourself an active one, and ask a player of an active bass how long their power source lasted, on average. If you want something that's got a bit of a 'feel' to it, get a passive one - I love them more than actives by a long shot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone else in this thread:

I've been really interested in getting myself a Uke lately, and today, watching videos of Uke players on Youtube I decided I'd really really like to learn.

Any recommendations on a good, yet cheap, Uke to start with? (Preferably not a Spongebob Uke...) :rolleyes:

Also - on an unrelated note, what's the difference in difficulty between a Ukulele and a Mandolin?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads