Turn on thread page Beta

children in need: a scam and a con watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's called entertainment, that's why they had slots, as did other soaps, including the bill which correct me if i'm wrong is an itv programme.
    Children in need is not a scam, or a con, or an excuse for cheap advertising, it is a massive charity event, and its just as well that there are hundreds of thousands of other people who don't share the same fascist views as yourselves.

Children In Need does some incredible things for children in todays society, if you actually sat threw more than 5 minutes of the programme you'd see the clips of children who need help, and who have received help from people working for children in need.

You all come from wealthy backgrounds, and i dont see you donating a penny towards to the charity, you'd rather spend it on yourselves, making you no better than some celebrities.

As for the bands who release singles for children in need, and comic relief and such, you'll find the money they make is donated to children in need, if they gain publicity in the mean time, at least its for doing something other than snorting cocaine and pulling outrageous stunts.

The ignorance is shocking.

Oh, and the terry wogan comment, children in need is nothing without good ol' terry, get a grip, all of you.

ReputationRep:
    i was a wee bit disappointed with it cause from past children in need shows it was about celebrities or w/e doing silly things to raise money. this year it was just loser artists like leon jackson promoting their new albums

well at least wogan wasn't being payed for it like last year and its for a good cause :woo:

ReputationRep:
    you're wrong about most things there, abie. except the bit about me not donating a penny.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit gay to have it on the same week as Remembrance Day.

I mean, for Remembrance day, nothing, just a box where you can buy a poppy, for Children In Need, a bunch of proles going round in gay costumes harassing me for money. ********s, I already spent it on one worthy cause, I can't afford another...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    None of the little video clips of "Children in Need" really seemed like the children were in need at all, at least the ones I saw. Some guy saying the money from Children in Need pays his wages for teaching a bunch of chavvy teenagers archery-- but surely you can get volunteers to do something like that? Etcetc.

What a farce.
    Children whose parents are drug addicts, children who haven't got anywhere to go to escape home.

This thread is disgusting.

Take That donated all of their "fee" to the charity :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah good ol' wogan, on the take to the tune of 19k for doing children in need, begging the ordinary people of this country to put more strain on their finances,

good ol' Wogan

ReputationRep:
    I have always wondered why the BBC pick this charity to 'glam up' out of all the charities there are out there.

ReputationRep:
    Scam and a con? Well, I wish you'd have told me before I donated that 50p in my paypal account.

ReputationRep:
    Though its not my favourite charity, CIN is a charity nonetheless and the people it works to help are indeed need of help...

Because of the scale of the thing, more than enough money is raised to pay off Wogan and Co, and money does go to the kids who need it. So stop complaining...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Pudsey isn't even a real bear.
    No way. Next you'll tell me the bandage isn't covering a real injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GORK)
    The whole idea is an excuse for cheap advertising, , BT, Asda, Tescos the theatre production of oliver all got prolonged advertising slots for next to nothing. This should be taken up by OFCOM because it's unfair for other organizations such as ITV and C4 and C5 who rely on advertising.

and then there's the tasteless, crass, and selfish people from the world of music.

They pitch up sing a song for 5 minutes collect expensive and other fees, say "save the children" and return to their life of luxury and spender without donating a penny. While their performance on TV 'Children in need' has just boosted sales of their new material.

sickening.
    didn't Take That donate £250 000?

ReputationRep:
    Short answer yes, long answer no.

ReputationRep:
    celbrity ego vs their better nature

99 : 1

they always put themselves first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Roboto)
    I never donate more than £1-£2 to such charities... especially since the celeb's payment comes before the charity's cause. Though I suppose if enough people donate, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I prefer to know exactly where the money is going... which for our family, is the orphanage we opened in Bangladesh.
    Any celebrity appearences or presenters will be paid by the BBC, not children in need. It doesn't cost the charity a penny and you will probably find the show gets more viewers and more donations because of it.

Yes, the celebrities should be doing more but why does everyone assume they won't donate? I'm sure if they went around telling all the media they just donated you would be moaning they are using it for self promotion.

I suppose you are also outraged that charity workers are paid and aren't giving up their life for the cause?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GORK)
    yeah good ol' wogan, on the take to the tune of 19k for doing children in need, begging the ordinary people of this country to put more strain on their finances,

good ol' Wogan
    BONO. Take the piss by spending thousands of pounds on pink tinted sunglasses then ask the working class to give to charity.
    Ryan P, Viz magazine.

Bad'uns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Any celebrity appearences or presenters will be paid by the BBC, not children in need. It doesn't cost the charity a penny and you will probably find the show gets more viewers and more donations because of it.

Yes, the celebrities should be doing more but why does everyone assume they won't donate? I'm sure if they went around telling all the media they just donated you would be moaning they are using it for self promotion.

I suppose you are also outraged that charity workers are paid and aren't giving up their life for the cause?
    Wha? The BBC pays for the celebrity acts?

Well that's brilliant. I thought it came out of what was raised...

And of course charity workers ought to be paid, you buffoon

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I have to complain about is being forced to watch the regional part (ie Northern Ireland), which IMO is just annoying ('being forced' in that I wanted to watch some of CIN but they kept cutting to Belfast)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhi)
    The only thing I have to complain about is being forced to watch the regional part (ie Northern Ireland), which IMO is just annoying ('being forced' in that I wanted to watch some of CIN but they kept cutting to Belfast)
    But you had Boyzone! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    But you had Boyzone! :p:
    That was possibly the only partially good thing about it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Roboto)
    Wha? The BBC pays for the celebrity acts?

Well that's brilliant. I thought it came out of what was raised...

And of course charity workers ought to be paid, you buffoon
    Yep, the BBC pays it (assuming they do get paid?). That gives the added benefit of Wogan etc. donating their fees to the charity, something the BBC itself isn't allowed to do.

Lol, I did go a bit over the top with that charity worker comment!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.