Turn on thread page Beta

A true story from 3 months of living rough and hitching around the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I've hitchhiked only a few times, and never very far.

Twice in Newquay when I was 16/17. the most memorable being in the back of a builders transit van, surrounded by axes, chainsaw's and the like whilst he was listening to german death metal :erm:

Once in the Alps, me and my mate were a bit drunk and couldn't find our campsite in the dark, these two drunk climbers picked us up and we sat on all their gear on the back seats so our heads were crammed against the car ceiling. They were nutters! but very entertaining

Blimey, at 16 !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    Blimey, at 16 !!!!!
    after GCSE's we went to newquay surfing/camping. We found hitching useful to get into town as our campsite was a fair distance away!

ReputationRep:
    OP - I have to echo the sentiments one or two others on here. Why? I mean is there nothing more interesting you can do with your time?

+ isn't living in such a self-degrading manner bad for your health and well-being? as well as being bloody dangerous?

Also what do your relatives/family think to all this>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_2006)
    OP - I have to echo the sentiments one or two others on here. Why? I mean is there nothing more interesting you can do with your time?

+ isn't living in such a self-degrading manner bad for your health and well-being? as well as being bloody dangerous?

I find it fun. Many people don't but I don't ask them to do it.

It's not nearly as dangerous as wondering the streets at night.

Friends relatives don't care or are happy with it. I've done it enough to know what i'm doing

ReputationRep:
    I wanna hitchhike from Ottawa to Toronto (and back) but I'm scared :afraid: Would save me a good bit of money

ReputationRep:
    I miss listening to Bjork, stuck at night o a twisty road in the Lake District, wasted and staggering around for a place to bed down.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play to you mate; I can see the attraction in that you meet people and are exposed to stuff you wouldn't even take notice of otherwise. That has a certain attraction about it.

Have you ever hitched on the continent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    Fair play to you mate; I can see the attraction in that you meet people and are exposed to stuff you wouldn't even take notice of otherwise. That has a certain attraction about it.

Have you ever hitched on the continent?
    That's exactly why I do it.

As for the continent I'm applying for a Passsport in January and heading over to Poland, Via France, Belgium, Holland and Germany next summer. Should be a blast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    That's exactly why I do it.

As for the continent I'm applying for a Passsport in January and heading over to Poland, Via France, Belgium, Holland and Germany next summer. Should be a blast

I did that exact route (tho through the czech republic and ending in the ukraine) with a few mates. if u want any advice pm me-we hitched the whole way and learned a few hard lessons but pretty much perfected it by the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta10)
    I did that exact route (tho through the czech republic and ending in the ukraine) with a few mates. if u want any advice pm me-we hitched the whole way and learned a few hard lessons but pretty much perfected it by the end.

ooo like what? how different is it too hitching in the uk?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, Sweet!

Bet you've got some stories!

If you wouldnt mind sharing some tips, that'd be ace

I've had 260-270 lifts and 6,000 odd miles lifts so I've got the basics down. Basically, what changes rule wise on the continent? I know truckers are alot easier to hit up for rides..

Nice one!

ReputationRep:
    ^that's a serious number of rides!

actually we had far more success with cars than with truckers though we had a fair few of both. best just to talk to people at traffic lights or gas stations-much easier to get a lift after uve said a few words (tho u prob know this by now!)

also when you get to dover you can get the ferry across for free as long as you find someone willing (easy) to let you get in their car in the big car park near the ferries. this fella took me and my mate and bought us loads of beer on board so we were lashed when setting up camp in a bush in france....then woken by police in the middle of the night telling us immigrants might slit our throats and take our money! (so prob best not to camp too near calais lol)

ReputationRep:

Some people like experiencing new things.

When we went around Europe in a transit van we met some great people, but very few hitchhikers unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like quite good fun actually, i plan on trying a bit of hitching when i go RTW next year...

my dad used to hitchhike when was young and he went mountain climbing in the alps. Once he had been waiting for ages and this guy pulled over who seemed a bit weird but he got in anyway because he had been waiting for ages, and this guy was asking him really personal questions and then pulled over and came on to my dad, and then tried to take his stuff when he rapidly got out of the car.

Although, i did point out to dad that perhaps he got hit on cause he looked rather camp himself, he used to have long blond curly hair and wear those legging/longjohn type things for climbing.

ReputationRep:

Christ, you're a party-pooper, aintcha.

ReputationRep:
    I was hitching home this Friday just gone and was picked up in this metro by an old man with a large white fuzzy beard. We bailed into the car and set off and began the usual get to know you, where are you going questions when an elderly man started to cross the road, maybe 40/50M ahead. He floored it, aimed for the old man and screamed "It's only 50 points if you kill him on the pavement! Aaaaahahahahaha!" quickly followed by him coughing and then letting out "Do your kids a favour, die and give 'em the 'ouse! AaHahahah"

Needless to say he was only joking but it's still a story to tell TSR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    I was hitching home this Friday just gone and was picked up in this metro by an old man with a large white fuzzy beard. We bailed into the car and set off and began the usual get to know you, where are you going questions when an elderly man started to cross the road, maybe 40/50M ahead. He floored it, aimed for the old man and screamed "It's only 50 points if you kill him on the pavement! Aaaaahahahahaha!" quickly followed by him coughing and then letting out "Do your kids a favour, die and give 'em the 'ouse! AaHahahah"

Needless to say he was only joking but it's still a story to tell TSR...
    So the old man is dead?! (er...lol)

ReputationRep:
    So the old man is dead?! (er...lol)
    The driver was only joking, albeit in a slightly worrying way....

ReputationRep:
    Hitchhiking, eh. I always imagined this to be fun in the US, can’t imagine doing it here, seems rather, dull?

After a night out once I was on the night bus home (normally walk but was feeling tired) with a friend, was engaging in drunk talk and nodded off a bit, anyway I missed my stop, considerably, so did he. So we ended up walking back from the High Barnet area to Highgate where my friend lives as no night buses were running from the area. I ended up staying at his, even though I could have just got a night bus from this point. But I was totally unprepared to spend the night at his, no toothbrush or anything. Wild I know :cool: that’s the closest I’ve come to hitchhiking, for what it’s worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Hitchhiking, eh. I always imagined this to be fun in the US, can’t imagine doing it here, seems rather, dull?

After a night out once I was on the night bus home (normally walk but was feeling tired) with a friend, was engaging in drunk talk and nodded off a bit, anyway I missed my stop, considerably, so did he. So we ended up walking back from the High Barnet area to Highgate where my friend lives as no night buses were running from the area. I ended up staying at his, even though I could have just got a night bus from this point. But I was totally unprepared to spend the night at his, no toothbrush or anything. Wild I know :cool: that’s the closest I’ve come to hitchhiking, for what it’s worth.

.....:mute: no toothbrush eh?.

Hardcore mate

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.