Is the Student's Union as crap as people say? Watch

simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
That's what I was worrying about
It isn't really an issue though as there are more than enough live music venues in the City to keep you busy.
Hiphopopotamus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Christian_j)
It's a big city here in Nottingham, if you want it, you'll find it, just do some research cos your singing doesn't have to be restrictedd to what's on campus. For big-name acts there is Rock City, Trent FM arena, Playhouse and others - you could even go over to Trent I suppose?

If you like Nottingham from an academic perspective, go for it, I wouldn't base it on whether it has big-name live bands personally...
It would be much more convenient though, and other SUs I've got offers from do it.

Also, if Nottingham had a far superior course to my other offers, I'd snap it up straight away. However, there are a few offers which are neck and neck, and I'm nit-picking so I can see a whole perspective of the universities.

Thanks for the info about venuces btw
Clairey19
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
theres always plenty being organised by the su and by karni. weekly events. theres also tickets sold to nights out in town usuali at least once to three times a week. i think thers plenty to do. also alot of societies. havnt had time to join them really though x
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never heard such a load of rubbish. The SU has loads of very active societies and every person will have at least one society they could join. As for the Union, the problem is that it competes with all of the excellent bars/clubs in Nottingham City Centre. Which is more a reflection of how good town is rather than how crap the Union is, because it's not. Nobody is going to go to the Union on a Saturday after a massive Ocean piss-up on Friday, and obviously that means people won't go to the Union on a Friday either.
Christian_j
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quite right!
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
Yeah ive heard that too...may hijack trents events lol..
The only reason I can think you have heard this is that Trent / Nott share some events.

E.g. the RockSocs are very close, we are welcome to each others events, and sometimes organise events together.

(Original post by Christian_j)
I've been to Mooch (the main SU bar) quite a few times - with regards to that I would say that the food is very good, big portions as well and quite cheap compared to restaurants - the drinks aren't too expensive and although it's probably not the best place ever to go and have a night out, it's sufficient to have drink with some mates. In Nottingham, the town is so good that staying on campus for a night out is a bit pointless, especially if you're on Jubilee Campus as we have a bar downstairs that serves that purpose...
Campus bars and pubs are good for a cheap drink, food is good (I have found anyway), and are fantastic for a predrink with friends before going onto a club or whatever.

(Original post by La Trampa)
I think the venue has live music now and the bars are definitely not crap. Plus if we're counting live music...Notts holds one of the biggest student festivals every year on the downs.
Really? Only thing I have heard about at the venue is flirt.

(Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
What do they have instead of the ark then?

The thing is, I'm a singer-songwriter (and yes, I do realise that by applying that phrase to myself, I'm officially a ponce), and would love to do some gigs. I know at Loughborough they do open mic in the SU, I was hoping they would do something similar at Nottingham. Also, music is very important to me, and just strolling down to the SU to watch a gig without the fuss of having to go into town would suit me to a tee, as I'm fairly laid back.
You would suit JCR events then, as I am certain you would be able to do something in your hall / etc, there are plenty of open mic nights and similar.

(Original post by clairebush1990)
ick ick nottingham is a big pile of concrete crap. no offense =)
Have you ever seen jubilee campus...

(Original post by simeon)
In comparison to a lot of other Unions, the live music is pretty poor. You don't get the 'name' acts like you would at Trent.

Mooch/Venue however are good, modern bars...saying that, nothing will ever compare to The Buttery/DH Lawrence bars of old!

The problem with Nottm SU is the fact that it's simply too small.
How is the SU too small? :| Unless you mean The Venue / Mooch are too small?

The main problem with the SU I have found is it can be over-restricting, and not many Societies like the SU for various reasons. However it is unlikely this will effect you unless you become a committee member or work with committee members. The societies are fantastic, plenty of them, well set up, and the overall Student Union base is great.

Anyone can PM me if they want more information on anything
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did say I think so. I don't go there much so can't say for certain.
vanillawick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our bar is brilliant and the food is delicious! We have 14 bars on campus...hence the campus 14 challenge...14 bars...14 pints 2 hours tog et around them all! Most people dont compelte tis till 2nd or 3rd year! There are loads of societies alot sponsored by big companies such as deloitte and pricewaterhousesoopers e.t.c. Freshers week was well organised ad lots and lots of events in both the day and night. To get the most out of it though live on campus for your first year. Asidefrom the SU is karnival. A charitable organistaion that do the best evens like all you can drink karni kocktail parties, mr and mrs nottingham and rag raid to other cities with all you can drink and games on the coach back. Thats waaaay better than teh SU!!!!!
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
TheHow is the SU too small? :| Unless you mean The Venue / Mooch are too small?

The main problem with the SU I have found is it can be over-restricting, and not many Societies like the SU for various reasons. However it is unlikely this will effect you unless you become a committee member or work with committee members. The societies are fantastic, plenty of them, well set up, and the overall Student Union base is great.
In the context of my post, yes, I meant the physical size of Mooch & The Venue are too small.
If it hadn't been for the covenant on the land, the SU building wouldn't have been built where it was when they built the new bit. It was supposed to go down by the Lake where the theatre is. The Boots family however were a Temperance family, and they placed a lot of restrictions on what could be done and where when they gave the land.
DaliaF
Report 10 years ago
Just to back up what some people hav already said, the SU here is not crap. I say that working in it and pretty much live in the Portland buidling. If anyone has any problems with what is going on, the SU Exec Officers are happy to listen and work to make things better.

When it comes to the Venue (this is just my opinion..) it had teething problems as a good comedy show would do in there but music in some cases it is far too intimate. However, that is being worked on and how to make the Venue better. I really love the Mooch as its nice to hang out in, and the food is awesome. Also as someon else said the halls have their own open mic nights and also their own bars, so there are plenty of places to be (on campus).

the town is a 5-8 pound cab away from Campus with tons of music stuff. Apart from the fact that I love the campus I based where I went on the music scene also, and yes, its not the biggest of places for "big name music" but plenty of the venues do get them such as Nottingham Areana and Rock City, and for smaller bands and just a variety of music it is awesome. Also the Rock Society and High Society (for more indie music) are very active (or they have the past two years) and so can show you around Notitngham to find the places to go...

In general I would say the SU puts on some awesome club nights (Ocean, Oceana, Isis etc.) we have one of the largest range of clubs/societies in the country (http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/stude...ocieties/list/) , a well structures Athletics Union, great opportunities to Volunteer, great student help services...

We have Karnival (which is the largest student run chartiy in the country) which puts on some awesome days out collecting for charity, Balls and generally...rocks.

We have the only student run theatre in England (New Theatre), the Best Student Radio Station in the Country (URN), a TV channel that is just being set up and many student run newspapers...If you want to get invovled at nottingham uni, pretty much anything you want to do at Nottingham uni, You can. I think that shall be all for now for selling Uni of Nottingham Students' Union....

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to PM me!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads