Can TV licencing really tell if you are receiving broadcasts? Watch

laser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess the simple solution is to get an LCD, because they don't give off the signals. They don't even use detector vans any more (watch their adverts? They say they just use the database).

The license fee doesn't just go to BBC programming, it also goes to Castle Crown (or whatever they're called nowadays) - the people who run the transmitter network, which all the stations benefit from.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
It may be good value... However, Tesco's bulk toilet paper may also be good value yet I wouldn't let them bully me into paying! If the TV licence is good value, they should go back to advertising it as such and getting payments out of people that way. This whole "Gonna send the boys round" has to stop.
I have to say that I do agree with you. The current approach is not the way to go about it. On he other hand that's not a good enough reason to simply not pay.
SovietRussiaFH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Only if they can physically see your TV, otherwise no.
Craigthered
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I receive TV over IP via the halls network, still should have a license but the only way they would be able to know i didnt have a license is if the halls network admin kept some kind of log of who watches the IPTV which i doubt.
ophqui
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They can, but it would be hugely impractical to actually do it. basically dont have your tv/aerial on display (thats how they caught us and forced us to buy a tv license), and refuse them entry to your home when they come a'knocking (dont be rude, just say 'sorry im just on my way out' or words to that effect) and you can probably get away with it. their not quite as fine-happy as they used to be, their more likely to force you to buy the license now, even if they catch you watching tv without one.
Craigthered
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They just send out thousands of mail merges every day, my mailbox is constantly cluttered with 'final warnings' .
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
Is there any particular reason you don't want to pay? Or are you just mean? I find the £135 a year fairly good value.
For the last four years I haven't had a television, despite me telling the people who call me up that and the people who come to my door, despite sending back all the letters I recieved they still harassed me for four years. I don't like this whole guilty until proven innocent thing.

Also, they send these threatening and quite honestly frightening letters out to vunerable people too. My grandmothers neighbour was so frightened at the thought she'd be taken to court and fined thousands of pounds she bought a television license. She doesn't own a tv.
TommyWannabe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by little_red_sox)
:laugh: Someone's fallen for their scaremongering, fabricated crap haven't they? Have you ever studied Physics? What you just described is IMPOSSIBLE. Every single piece of electrical equipment everywhere emits EM radiation, they cannot "see" or detect your tv, and the crap about seeing which channel you're watching is the funniest. They must thing the UK is full of senseless morons. To be fair to them though, they like using these technical words and they love sending out threatening letters because OF COURSE they want us to believe it. Anyone with a spark of common sense knows they are full of it, but sadly it still taps into the more gullible and conformist of society. You.
Superheterodyne receiver.
xhelen1989x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They sent me a letter last year about it and said ring if you don't have a tv in your uni room and don;t need a licence so i rang and the woman was just like yo do understand now you've said you don't need one you can be prosecuted when someone comes out to check....but noone ever came to check. I've had the same letter this year but just ignored it.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TommyWannabe)
Superheterodyne receiver.
What about it?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xhelen1989x)
They sent me a letter last year about it and said ring if you don't have a tv in your uni room and don;t need a licence so i rang and the woman was just like yo do understand now you've said you don't need one you can be prosecuted when someone comes out to check....but noone ever came to check. I've had the same letter this year but just ignored it.
So, when you do what they want, you are still threatened and bullied? No wonder people don't pay!
TommyWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about it?
Look it up!

I'm not explaining how it works. If he's so knowledgable about physics and is so much more enlightened than me I don't even have to. He'll know what it is already.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look it up!

I'm not explaining how it works. If he's so knowledgable about physics and is so much more enlightened than me I don't even have to. He'll know what it is already.
I don't need to look it up, I know what it is. Your 2 word post makes no sense though and does nothing for your argument.
nush86
Report 10 years ago
This thread is amazingly funnyyy!!!!!
numb3rb0y
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
So, when you do what they want, you are still threatened and bullied? No wonder people don't pay!
There was a blog I read some time ago (can't remember the address, unfortunately, it was pretty interesting) which chronicled a guy's struggles with TV licencing. His ultimate conclusion, incredibly, was that you actually get hassled less if you don't report that you don't have a TV than if you do, because if you don't then they'll eventually just give up and maybe send the odd letter every few months, whereas if you do they'll automatically assume you're a lying git and step into overdrive trying to prove you're dodging the fee. It's ridiculous.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...ee_enforcement

Yes, it is on Wikipedia, but you can look at all the sources backing it up. The TV Licensing authority does have the technology to detect evaders, but it does not use it unless it is necessary.

Just follow the law folks, and no-one's going to bust down your door and smash your TV in, unless they are severely mistaken.

You don't think such technology exists? Guess what, it does. Maybe we can get confirmation from someone who's been caught.
TommyWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't need to look it up, I know what it is. Your 2 word post makes no sense though and does nothing for your argument.
Yes it does. The original post that I quoted said that I was gullible, senseless and a moron. He also said that the process of detecting the signal is impossible.

With those two words I proved that it is possible.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thatguynooneknows)
If your tv is CAPABLE of recieving transmissions then you MUST have a tv licence.
Even if you dont watch tv on it.
Is utter bull****.
Craigthered
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disgrace that students and OAPs have to pay the same rate for a license. Infact if they did introduce a student rate alot more people would just pay for a license.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok then, sure.
I'm sorry for how ignorant the people on this thread are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.74%
No (715)
73.26%

Watched Threads